Differences between Taiwanese Culture and Chinese Culture

Is there any notable influences of aboriginal culture on Chinese culture here? I feel like in terms of music and food, I don’t see any.

Guilty as I type this response warm in a Pendleton blanket. :smile:

Music recently quite a bit

1 Like

Let’s start with language. There are, as @hansioux knows, some words in Taiwanese Hokkien that are brought in from Siraya and are therefore not understood in places like Fujian.

With music, has there been any modern pop singer bigger than A-Mei? Listen to “Sisters” (姊妹) and tell us what you think. :grin:

Some aspects of everyday food in Taiwan have drawn on Indigenous veggies (examples: ferns from Hualien); more and more, I’m seeing places using mountain pepper intelligently in various dishes too. :yum:

Guy

A simple one that I didn’t see was the Taiwan still uses traditional Chinese. It’s definitely a better preservation of Chinese culture. Although Chinese characters have evolved over time.

I went for that option.

Kind of makes you wonder why “華人” seems to be fine in the original, whereas “中國人” is probably not. Both are “Chinese” in English, wiping away any nuances there are between the two. Of course you could go with “ethnic Chinese” for the first, but I think that’s probably not sitting well with those who want to separate from China completely either.

1 Like

Well, Abo winning the best Artist Award was almost 2 years ago.

Suming did win the best original music for the Golden Horse Award 5 years before Abo winning her award.

Abao! :grin:

Guy

2 Likes
1 Like

Awesome stuff!

Guy

Yeah the years melt into each other

But remember was a big deal that she cleaned up all the awards that year

1 Like