Different kinds of working permits?

Hi,

I am currently in Taiwan on a 60 day visitor multiple entry. I am working for an insurance broker company and teaching english on the side. I would like to stay in Taiwan legally for a two year period and during this time work for the inurance company as well as study Chinese. I hope to stop teaching english within the next month. I understand that I can get a student visa and ARC if I enroll at a university to study Chinese, however would this allow me to work legally for the insurance company? If I got a working permit teaching english would that allow me to work legally for the insurance company? The reason I am not able to get a working permit through the company is because I do not have two years work experience in the U.S. prior to coming here. Any ideas to get around this would be greatly appreciated.

On a student ARC you would be limited to a maximum of 16 hours per week of work. On a teacher ARC your work permit only applies to the one employer who applied for your work permit. If there is no way for the insurance agency to apply for a work permit for you, your only option to work there legally would be to marry an ROC citizen and get a JFRV ARC.

u could get a work permit to teach english and work at da insurance company on da side, unfortunately it maybe your only option , :frowning:

but than no tyme to learn chinese :s

You can only work “legally” for the company or school that supplies your ARC. If you get an ARC to teach English you will not be working legally for the insurance brokers. I have to wonder why the company hired you when they could not provide you with an ARC.

However, if you want to stay, look for a job where you can work about 12 hours week, and supplies and ARC. This will allow you plenty of time to pursue other interests.

So if i was to get a student visa, how many classes will i have to take in university. I wonder because i want to know how much time i will have to teach and make money. i want to learn chinese and i wont have my degree so the student visa seems like the best option. Also is there a certain time when i would have to go for the classes, or can i start them at any time of the year?

[quote=“themagiccarpet”]Hi,

I am currently in Taiwan on a 60 day visitor multiple entry. I am working for an insurance broker company and teaching English on the side. I would like to stay in Taiwan legally for a two year period and during this time work for the inurance company as well as study Chinese. I hope to stop teaching English within the next month. I understand that I can get a student visa and ARC if I enroll at a university to study Chinese, however would this allow me to work legally for the insurance company? If I got a working permit teaching English would that allow me to work legally for the insurance company? The reason I am not able to get a working permit through the company is because I do not have two years work experience in the U.S. prior to coming here. Any ideas to get around this would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

If you have master or doctor degree then you dont need two years work experience to get a work permit.

Is the insurance company either an overseas one or a Taiwanese one with overseas offices? If they really want to employ you, they can give you a fake reference about your two (or more) years’ experience working for them in another country. Do do so would be no great sin.

[quote="Juba]
Is the insurance company either an overseas one or a Taiwanese one with overseas offices? If they really want to employ you, they can give you a fake reference about your two (or more) years’ experience working for them in another country. Do do so would be no great sin.[/quote]

Good suggestion. But according to my past experience, no one (in this kind of company) will issue a fake reference to help you get work permit.