Difficulty remembering the Chinese characters

Well you probably just know weird people then.

Its not ‘wrong’, none of it is ‘wrong’ but just seems gramatically incorrect, according to the way we are taught Chinese grammar as foreigners.

It’s not wrong, just not really used like that in China.

Similar to saying 不會 instead of 不客氣 or 不用 for “you’re welcome”. Just not used in China.

1 Like

My suggestion is to create a story with the characters. MIAO with the flower radicle on top and field at bottom equals SPROUT. Flower on top of field.

For example the Chinese character HEART actually looks like a human heart. Character FIELD…a piece of land. DOOR resembles a gate.

Characters are based on ideograms and pictograms.

Yeah, not really.

Use your imagination!

If I use my imagination anything can look like a human heart.

1 Like

Yeah this is what they teach you at the beginning like 肉 looks like hanging meat. Not really going to get you that far outside of a few hundred characters

3 Likes

Use your logic if any?

I don’t think that’s grammar. 沒關係 technically isn’t wrong gramatically as a sentence/expression.

2 Likes

For more complicated characters you will need to dissect into different radicles and phonetic components and create a story.

If you have a story then you can remember the character faster and easier.

This method of creating a story for each character came from one of my former European classmates in Canada in early 1990s when we were studying PTH together.

Well they are not teaching us the mainland word for potato. That would be bonkers. For example recently we learnt 可 as in 可好吃. People dont say it here. I only found out because my gf told me or i would be walking around saying KE hao chi like some dick head.

2 Likes

If you look at older Chinese scripts for 心, the resemblance is more apparent. You see the ventricles and atria, and the aorta:

Or it could just look like a penis to you. Could go either way, really.

可口可樂

I dont think they use that much in China either. It sounds old. Was the same in China, they taught us loads of old shit that nobody uses anymore.

why?

What is that?

It doesnt follow either of the uses here. Im not saying its wrong. Taiwanese can use their language however they want.

It just seemed gramatically wrong or strange, based on how we were taught

This loosely translates to “sure is tasty!”

Used only in China.

姥姥做的包子可好吃呢!
Grandma’s buns suuuuuuure are tasty!

Which is why you need a comprehensive and structured hierarchy of character structures if you want to commit to this mnemonic style of learning. That’s exactly what Heisig’s (and Richardson’s) books provide.

1 Like

可口 sounds more natural and commonly used(by old people), but what do I know, im a foreigner

That sounds very period drama.

2 Likes