Dig Cam tiny size, medium quality, under $10k? Dreaming?

I am looking for a digital camera with tiny size (shirt pocket), medium-range quality, under $10k NT. Am I dreaming? Do I have to wait 2 years? Any suggestions? Tks

Sony makes some really tiny cameras, and I think some of them are less than 10k (or they should be! :slight_smile: )

Sony Cybershot L1, for example, is around US$250 on the net - I guess it’s around 10k in Taiwan.

Yeah, I’m looking for under 10k. Thanks, Andre! Good link.

You’ll be interested in around a 3.0 Mpixels camera, I believe. Is that what you consider to be medium-range quality? And how about the 7-8k price range? You can often get a discount if you’re getting a model that’s got a replacement and it’s going to be discontinued soon.

Check out http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp. Just fill in some of the applicable boxes like weight and price, and the asp page will select four cameras that meet your criteria.

Interested in knowing what model camera you get and how you like it.

[quote=“twocs”]You’ll be interested in around a 3.0 Mpixels camera, I believe. Is that what you consider to be medium-range quality? And how about the 7-8k price range? You can often get a discount if you’re getting a model that’s got a replacement and it’s going to be discontinued soon.
[/quote]

Thanks! Yeah, I’m looking for discontinued or lightly used discounts which don’t have the previous owner’s kinky sex life still stored in the memory. I’ll check that out. :slight_smile:

www.pcphotoreview.com good too. this whole family of sites is good, links at bottom

I think the Canon Digital IXUS series might good ones to look at. My friend bought one for about 8k a few months back. I’d take a look at those. New ones are coming out soon so that means the old should be cheaper.

I assume you’re talking about buying in Taiwan, because buying in the US is generally 10-20% cheaper if your timing is right.

Check this web site out. The prices are pretty good and they’ve been reliable so far. Although everything is in Chinese
monday.com.tw/?sub=2

The Pentax S50 for 7999 is a great deal. It’s a decent 5 MP camera that fits in an Altoids can and uses AA batteries.

monday.com.tw/?catid=12515 - 4MP Cameras

Yeah, I’m buying in Taipei. Muchas gracias por la informacion, lo estoy leyendo ahora!

This one looks good, is in your price range: kenrockwell.com/casio/s100.htm

Try the Sanyo Xacti C1

sanyocanada.com/en-CA/entert … ductID=479

It is way cheap now and there is also a new version with better specs.

[quote=“sticks of fury”]Try the Sanyo Xacti C1
It is way cheap now and there is also a new version with better specs.[/quote]

The MSRP is 1099.99$ cdn. Hardly “way cheap”. What does it go for here?

[quote=“Josefus”][quote=“sticks of fury”]Try the Sanyo Xacti C1
It is way cheap now and there is also a new version with better specs.[/quote]

The MSRP is 1099.99$ cdn. Hardly “way cheap”. What does it go for here?[/quote]

tomorrow.com.tw/indextomo10. … 1004050001

I think it was also in one of the shopping channels where you can get a 512mb sd card and an extra battery too.

I suggest going to kwang Hua and Boi Ai road first.

Cool, great info from all, thanks! Andre, Steve

[quote=“Dragonbones”]
After reading on the links, the Pentax Optio S5i sounds like a really nice camera. It

The Pentax S50 and S5i are essentially identical(except for Li-ion battery), so if you want to save some money, go for the S50. Having the option of using CR-V3(rechargeable Lithium batteries) or AA batteries is nice also.

In any case, if you go for a camera that takes AA, get a set of 2200mAh rechargeable NiMH(~450-600NT) or a CR-V3 battery(~900NT) and charger.

If you’re ok with a 3MP camera, the Casio is an ok option although a bit outdated.

[quote=“answerer”]The Pentax S50 and S5i are essentially identical(except for Li-ion battery), so if you want to save some money, go for the S50. Having the option of using CRV-3(rechargeable Li-ion) or AA batteries is nice also.

If you’re ok with a 3MP camera, the Casio is an ok option although a bit outdated.[/quote]

Yes, the AA batteries is a very nice and inexpensive option. That is another reason why I like my Olympus 5050 so much.

Let us know if you find that Casio in Taiwan (although mail order from B&H Photo or Adorama it’s still probably under NT$10k) as I am interested as well.

Acc. to the Chinese website listed above, the Casio EX-S100 is the 4.0MP Exilim, to wit, "名片機最新極致!Casio EX-S100(公司貨) 特價9888元 "

So it looks like what I want. Plus $2990 for 1GB SD,

and overall it’s a little more than I wanted to spend, but it would also be a nicer camera, smaller, and with more memory than I originally envisioned, so I would probably keep it until it dies, rather than upgrading later.

Any cautionary tales on non-brand SD memory, batteries, or anything else I should consider?

You looking at the same thing I am? It says 3MP for me… monday.com.tw/gdsale/gdsale.asp?gdid=20949

名片機最新極致!Casio EX-S100(公司貨)
300萬畫素,具2.8倍光學變焦功能!

My minor gripe about the recent Casio cameras is that you need to put the camera in the cradle to recharge it. Although at a rated 540 shots, it’s fairly unlikely you’d need an additional battery(ie you’ll almost fill up your 1GB card before you run out of juice).

Stick with Sandisk, Transcend, Panasonic, Lexar or Kingston SD cards and you’ll be fine. The battery I would be more careful with. I bought an OEM canon battery and it’s been fine. However, since this camera uses a Lithium Polymer battery, I would get the original.

Also, consider getting a case. Although at that size, a cloth sunglasses bag will do just fine.