Digital Camera Suggestions?

That makes a lot more sense. and i am considering doing the same thing. what was the turnaround time for your camera? hopefully i can do it around xmas and have my folks send it or give it to someone who’s coming here. thanks

one more thing. never really done warranties. i bought my cam mail order from NY. the warranty is US. Did I have to activate it by sending in info or something? and 2, on the warranty card, where the dealer is supposed to stamp his info and date of purchase, well, he didnt, so it’s blank. I do however have the bill of sale. is that sufficient?

Generally speaking, you only need the serial number of the camera (usually on the camera) and proof of purchase (meaning sales ticket with the date of purchase). Canon USA asked me to simply ship the camera to them in a professionally packaged box with a photocopy of the sales receipt and an explanation of the situation of the camera, bascially a statement asking telling them what the problem is and that you think it should be under warranty. The note should also have the return ship-to address on it. All this information is on Canon’s Web site. Check the manufacturer’s Web site for your camera for specific instructions.

OK…for beginners… what is the difference between the sony dsc-p9 and the p10? besides the p10 being newer and more expensive…

You must declare it properly (“Return for repair” / temporary import) and have some proof you sent it out. Make sure to record make, model, type (if applicable) and serial number before, perhaps take a picture with the labels.
If the unit is returned with the supporting papers (“Return from repair”) it should be no problem to get it back in - if make, model (type) and serial number match that is.
I have done quite a few exports/imports for this kind of situation (i.e. overseas repair) and never had much (if any) hassle.

Not sure what the diff is between Sony P9 and P10, but here’s differences to look for:
The size and look
AA batteries or infolithium (infolithium makes it smaller, but AA is probably more convenient)
Optical zoom (that’s a manual zoom lens, which is better than just having digital zoom
Megapixels (that’s the most important of all - I think 3 is fine, more is better, but you probably wouldn’t notice for most things)
Sound recording (some Sony’s record sound with their motion picture recording, some don’t)

Brian

Anyone got a good idea for the following:

-I need to take pictures showing details down to 0,1mm. I can do that with my new Nikon Coolpix SQ, butas I am a lousy shot, I need to make a lot of pictures just to get one right (clear).
I want a camera that I can connect to the USB port on my PC, so I can really see the quality and details before I take the picture.
Do anyone know a PC-camera or magnifier/microscope with camera funtion that can help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Brian, I’ll go and test them in person as soon as I can…

[quote=“X3M”]Anyone got a good idea for the following:

-I need to take pictures showing details down to 0,1mm. I can do that with my new Nikon Coolpix SQ, butas I am a lousy shot, I need to make a lot of pictures just to get one right (clear).
I want a camera that I can connect to the USB port on my PC, so I can really see the quality and details before I take the picture.
Do anyone know a PC-camera or magnifier/microscope with camera funtion that can help me out?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

You should be using a tripod if you arent already. otherwise your pics will be fuzzy. and the trigger-thingy (especially for longer shots).

Folks… I am back… after 3 months of disappearance…

Enough of all the technical details and this and that…

Canon PowerShot G3 (or G5)
Canon Digital IXUS 400

I personally have a Canon Digital IXUS v3 and love it. Next on my “wishlist” is a professional digital SLR such as the new Canon EOS-300D or the Nikon D2H.

How about the Canon Powershot SD10. Any commentaries on that one?

Did you mean SD100? Check out this most excellent digital camera review site:

dpreview.com

No, I meant SD10

http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/sd10/index.html

Is it already available in Taiwan? Any commentaries?

[quote=“mesheel”]No, I meant SD10

http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/sd10/index.html

Is it already available in Taiwan? Any commentaries?[/quote]
Spec looks decent and attractive… But I am not a big fan of Smart Media memory cards… Compact Flash all the way!

OK…so once I decided which one to get, where do I get it? Isn’t Guanghua Market pretty cheap? So where on Bo’ai does everybody go to buy even cheaper ones?

I have heard that Olympus is phasing out the compact flash format, and going with XD since it is much smaller. So beware of changing media formats.

Although Sony is the only one using Memory Stick, at least you know they won’t be changing their format anytime soon.

Around BoAi and HanKou intersection, i.e. the area where BoAi hits ChungHsiao (near PeiMen / North Gate).
There are zillions of small camera shops there and you can of course bargain.

[quote=“daniel_han”]
Although Sony is the only one using Memory Stick, at least you know they won’t be changing their format anytime soon.[/quote]

Ha. That’s a good one. In the last year Sony has introduced Memory Stick Pro which can go higher than 128mb (the limit on old Memory Stick), but is incompatible with all but the newest Sony cameras. They also introduced a half sized version of Memory Stick, but that’s only in Japan last I heard.

(There is also Memory Stick Select, a 256mb version of Memory Stick where you can manually switch between two blocks of 128mb.)

Yeah, thanks Rascal, then I know where. But would Bo’ai really be cheaper than Guanghua Market? I always thought Guanghua is cheapest…

Does anyone here know a lot about digital slr’s? My friend from canon told me that they just released the d20 which they say is a baby markII, and is at the same time both better and cheaper than the d10. Does anyone know any more about this or have any suggestions for an aspiring photographer? Should I save up for this camera or should I try my luck with second hand d10’s or nikon d70’s? thanks

There a bunch of good digital camera review sites out there. My favorite is dpreview.com

I’m also new to digital photography and am debating between the D70 and the 20D. Apparently Konica/Minolta is also coming out with a new DSLR later this fall (dpreview.com/news/0409/04091504km7d.asp). I imagine others might be introduced at Photokina at the end of September.