Digital Camera Suggestions?

thanks jeff,the site was really helpful. Now I’m convinced that I want a d70. Does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced, second hand d70 Kit here in Taipei? Thanks

Before you hand over hard-earned cash for a DSLR you might want to check out some of the ultra zooms on offer. They are extremely versatile, lighter, cheaper and produce superb results. I suppose it depends what you want a DSLR for. At any rate you should “rule out” some of the better ultra zooms before you take the plunge with a DSLR. Have a look at the Lumix DMC-FZ20, Olympus C-770 and the Fuji finepix ultra zooms for starters.

BTW, www.dcresource.com is another superb digital camera site.

The D70 is quite new, so I imagine you’ll have a hard time finding a used kit.

Spack is right about the samller digicams, but there are tradeoffs in terms of speed and image quality, or so I’ve heard.

I’m looking into the Canon 20D, if I can talk my wife into it!

thanks again spack and jeff. I checked out both cameras but I really do want a digital SLR. Someone back home has offered to teach me proper photography and he insists that I get a camera that I can develop long term skill with.
I will go on shopping for a second hand d70 as there seems to be a consensus on its “bang for the buck”. I might wait til the release of Nikon’s d200 though, maybe the release of that camera will encourage upgrade-aholics to sell their d70’s.
Goodluck with convincing your wife jeff.

They just announced the D2X (kenrockwell.com/nikon/d2x.htm), but that’s a bit higher end. D200 might be a ways off…

Hey Guys,

Is the Canon D20 available in Taiwan yet? If so, what is the price for gongsi huo and shui huo if there is any shui huo available. Or maybe all of what is available is Shui huo?

And for those of you with WAY too much money on your hands:

dpreview.com/news/0409/04092 … dsmkii.asp

[quote=“jeff”]And for those of you with WAY too much money on your hands:

dpreview.com/news/0409/04092 … dsmkii.asp[/quote]

Nearly 17 Megapixels. :astonished: Talk about overkill. :laughing:

more digital camera threads:

[Digital camera for 3000 - 5000NT?
[Playing with the manual settings on a digital camera
[Fuji S5000 digital camera
[Buying a digital camera in Taiwan as opposed to mail order from US

digital video camera:
[Buying a digital video camera

HTH
Iris

[quote=“Hobart”]Hey Guys,

Is the Canon D20 available in Taiwan yet? [/quote]

I don’t know, but some of the US-based stores (such as ritz) now do international shipping through a third-party vendor: ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs/st … onal+Order

Edit: Did you check FNAC?
fnac.com.tw/SearchResults.as … d=99999999

Looks like it’s a bit more expensive in Taiwan, but you wouldn’t have to worry about shipping or unscrupulous customs agents.

Hi. I’m shopping for a relatively cheap (<$200 US) digital camera for my 10-year-old son for is (only!) Christmas present. I want it to be something that he can use right away and also develop with a bit, so am looking for one with a fair bit of manual control and a zoom of at least 4x. I’m in the US and will probably buy from Costco b/c of their return policy, among other factors. They have a few seemingly decent ones in this price range (costco.com/Common/Category.a … c1&topnav=), and I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to these two: Canon A540 (6 MP, 4x zoom) and Kodak C875 (8MP, 5x zoom).

Feature-wise, the Kodak is the clear choice and is even $10 cheaper. The nice thing about the Canon is that , well, it’s a Canon. My digital camera is a Canon and I’ve been very happy with it, and apparently the DIGIC II is a great processor.

Reviews haven’t been of too much help to me in deciding. Any of you out there have any experience with either of these cameras. Short of that, any reason why I should choose the Canon over the relatively feature-rich Kodak? Or is there another camera in this price range I should be considering (doesn’t have to be from Costco)?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Well, your son in 10 years old. Ease of use would be important probably. Other than that would he even know/care about the feature differences? He’ll probably be just happy getting one.

Exactly. :slight_smile: That was my first reaction too. For DSL-R’s, I say Nikon. For compacts, I say Casio.

Or even some made for kids:

cameras.about.com/od/digitalcame … orkids.htm

I’m on my third Canon digital point and shoot. Great little cameras. I’d go that way.

Now, I’m looking for new camera as well. A digital slr, not too pricey.
I’d like something that will take decent sport shots. One of the irritations of my Canon digital elph is shutter delay and speed. Came across this review of a Pentax K100D, which led to a string of glowing reviews. While we’re throwing out starter suggestions, how about some for me as well?

Cheers.

[quote=“Jaboney”]I’m on my third Canon digital point and shoot. Great little cameras. I’d go that way.

Now, I’m looking for new camera as well. A digital slr, not too pricey.
I’d like something that will take decent sport shots. One of the irritations of my Canon digital elph is shutter delay and speed. Came across this review of a Pentax K100D, which led to a string of glowing reviews. While we’re throwing out starter suggestions, how about some for me as well?

Cheers.[/quote]

I have a Canon, so that’s what I’m familiar with. You could take really excellent sports pics (I’m assuming hockey) with a 400D ($22k with kit lens) and a 70-200 f/4 L lens (I’ve seen $15k used, I think $20k new). That latter telephoto lens will help you give you the reach you need for good sports pics.

I noticed that Pentax very soon is going to release a K10D, which has better specs on paper than the 400D but at the same price. I don’t know much about their system though.

That Pentax K100D looks really nice. The reviews I’ve seen are good, and I like the idea of image stabilization in the camera rather than the lens.

As for me…Thanks for the advice so far! These are good thoughts. My 10-year-old can run circles around me on video games so I hope he won’t have too much trouble with a reasonably simple digital camera. He can already use mine on a rudimentary level, and I want one he can grow into if it turns out he really likes photography. If he doesn’t, it will be a decent back-up camera for when I don’t want to lug around the 20D. Now I’m leaning toward the Kodak Z650, which I can get on sale for USD 218 including a 1GB card. It has a 10X zoom (no IS, unfortunately) and 6.1 megapixels, with reasonable shutter lag time. Apparently easy to use as a point-and-shoot, it also has lots of flexibility for manual control. Image quality may not be as good as the Canon A540, but the zoom and the look and feel of it offset that. And for about the same price, if you factor in the free memory

i’m narrowing down to the sony t10 or canon ixus 850. any opinions?

I don’t know anything about the Sony, but the three Canon’s I’ve have are the 100, 110, and 400. Didn’t have any mechanical problems until recently, when memory card errors and view/shoot selection issues popped up.

The biggest annoyances I’ve had with function are with shutter speed, delay, and too much automation. I’m looking for a higher end camera now, but I’ll certainly end up buying another of these little ones are some point, and those three issues will likely determine what I buy next time.

I own a Pentax K100D. It’s a great camera overall and the in-camera SR/VR/IS works as advertised. However, it’s auto-focusing system is a little bit slow in dim lights when compared to a Canon/Nikon.

The entry-level dSLRs/digital cameras are so similar in functionalities these days the only differences are the ergonomics and the little extra features (such as in-camera SR/VR/IS, sensor cleaning, etc). I would suggest going into a store and actually handle the different models to see which one feels the best in your hands.

I don’t know Sony T10, but I know most professional reviews will rank a Canon above Sony (in the same category). If you’re willing to dish out the kind of money that you have to pay for the Ixus 850 (aka SD 800 IS), which is around 14K NTD, then go for the Canon.

I’m getting this particular Canon (for myself for Christmas :smiley: ) because I’ve done a lot of research and narrowed it down to a few, finally chose this one because I want an ultracompact that has wide-angle lens and image stabilization (I’m getting old, my hands are shaking), performs well both indoors and in sunshine, among other things.

Have you seen photos taken by both cameras? By ordinary people, I mean, not advertising photos.
If you dont’ know anyone who has those cameras, go on flickr.com and search for pics taken by those cameras.