Dirty tricks and cunning stunts

Trials riding and general MTB bike handling interests me to make me a bit more agile and have a bit more fun on the road bike, not exactly like Road Bike Party but being able to bunny hop over kerbs and such would be useful.

The problem is I’ve never been able to do it, nor can I even wheely. I can’t get the front wheel off the ground for love nor money. This is with the seat low and in the lowest gear. I’ve watched and read countless technique instruction videos and it just won’t happen.

The reason might be because I’m pretty tall, so I have an XL size bike (58cm frame) but I weigh fuckall, plus the bike is no weight weenie - the bike is about a third of my weight. Any thoughts?

If you don’t get the reference in the title, Martyn Ashton’s trials biking movie is online somewhere. Road Bike Party is a favourite of mine though.

1 Like

If you have clip-ins, it should be easier. I start out be getting driveside crank arm at about 11 o’clock->push down to 9 o’clock while shifting weight back and lifting bars->pump down on pedal again and tuck/lift ass end up to front wheel level. I think? Oh and elbows out.

1 Like

:thinking: We’re in different timezones I suppose :smiley: . I know what you mean though!

Yeah, done all that. Last time I yanked on the handlebars so hard, my neck seized the next day at work, took weeks to sort itself out. I’ve heard it’s mostly about throwing your weight backwards than anything, but alas my wee weight just doesn’t do anything :frowning:

Give the crank a pop like if you would give the throttle a pop as you lift. That being said, I could bunny hop way more on my mtb than I can on my gravel bike.

1 Like