Discipline in Taiwan is starting to suck

No… this is what I need…

The more the merrier!

[quote=“bismarck”] The mom smacked him on the bottom (not hard at all, just enough to let him know it’s not done not to listen), and the grandmother responded with the speed of a rattlesnake by slapping her (very hard) right through the face!
She can’t spank her own kid without her own mother b**ch slapping her?[/quote]

Did you crap your pants laughing? That’s kinda funny.

[quote=“arion”][quote=“bismarck”] The mom smacked him on the bottom (not hard at all, just enough to let him know it’s not done not to listen), and the grandmother responded with the speed of a rattlesnake by slapping her (very hard) right through the face!

Did you crap your pants laughing? That’s kinda funny.[/quote]
It would make me snort Guinness out my nose, that’s for sure.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“arion”][quote=“bismarck”] The mom smacked him on the bottom (not hard at all, just enough to let him know it’s not done not to listen), and the grandmother responded with the speed of a rattlesnake by slapping her (very hard) right through the face!

It would make me snort Guinness out my nose, that’s for sure.[/quote]

That sounds painful.

[quote=“arion”][quote=“sandman”][quote=“arion”][quote=“bismarck”] The mom smacked him on the bottom (not hard at all, just enough to let him know it’s not done not to listen), and the grandmother responded with the speed of a rattlesnake by slapping her (very hard) right through the face!

It would make me snort Guinness out my nose, that’s for sure.[/quote]

That sounds painful.[/quote]
S’not really.

[quote=“mofangongren”]Odd that there’s deemed to be a particular problem with Taiwanese kids – we see kids (really little kids) getting slapped hard on MRTs enough for relatively minor things that we were actually quite impressed by the Koreans who seemed to simply tell their kids what to do/what not to do.

Sure we’ve seen local tykes go nuts in expensive restaurants and on planes with nary a word from the parents – so far it’s worked to tell the kids what you want them to stop doing. They seem to react positively being directly addressed by a foreigner in Chinese telling them to cut it out – whether it’s embarrassment, fear or something else I couldn’t give a crap so long as I can eat and fly in an relaxing atmosphere.[/quote]

Well of course they listen to YOU…

Along these same lines, I am annoyed by the “let the kids have their own way” mentality that I often see. I have students, whose teeth are rotting out (can anyone explain that one to me too? Is it just in Changhua or do other kids have the same problem elsewhere in Taiwan on a huge proportional level?) come in with chocolate cake for breakfast. I QUICKLY put it away so they can’t get it and point out the food the kitchen made for kids if they’re hungry.

I can just imagine the conversation at the supermarket while they were deciding what they wanted for breakfast. You know the kid probably just grabbed the cake and it was ok. Obviously, they don’t listen to Bill Cosby here.

No use brushing them … they are going to be replaced with new teeth anyway…

[quote=“arion”][quote=“bismarck”] The mom smacked him on the bottom (not hard at all, just enough to let him know it’s not done not to listen), and the grandmother responded with the speed of a rattlesnake by slapping her (very hard) right through the face!

Yeah, I did have a good laugh. It was especially funny because it was all one quick reflex. The baby’s mom look so surprised and the little brat just carried on doing what he was doing.

Old lady can be lucky it wasn’t my wife. Then it wouldn’t have been that funny. But less guinness involved.

I’m sorry. If my mother slapped my sister for spanking her child my sister (any of them) would slap her back.

i definitely think the old lady was out of line. Its her child, its up to her to discipline the kid. unless shes being harsh. and then the mother shouldve explained the need to be gentle. not practice violence herself

Which is why I said she was lucky it wasn’t my wife. I would have given her a stiff one, too.

I’d bet it was the mother-in-law and not the mother.

Bismarck wrote [quote] I would have given her a stiff one, too.[/quote]
snigger snigger :astonished: :laughing:

Is that a reward or a punishment?

No shit. Knocking the shit out of your kid in order to tell her to not spank her kid is just… well… moronic.

But then again, I would bet it wasn’t the girls mother. It was likely her mother in LAW.

You don’t bite the hand that feeds you or does your parenting for you. That mother probably only sees the kid once a week or so. Gramma does the rest.

Which, based on Grandma’s common sense, explains why the child is an utter hellion.

I bet it was the mother-in-law