Discrimination/racisme deeply rooted in Taiwan?

no race in the world acts the way white people do. and america in particular. but this issue isn’t about white people. it’s all of us as foriegners being subjected to racial slurs in the media. the media is empowering racism on the DAILY level. when Hollywood stopped making all black people like Stimey and Buckwheat, racism lost some power (by the way, i LOVE the Little Rascals, the old black and white reels from the 40s).
when foriegners are CEASED to be displayed as idiots on TV commercials, in fact ceased to be portrayed as anything other than a PART OF TAIWAN, then things will the change. this shit in the media has to stop. wu dzong shien and others like him have to be shut up thru pressure on the media. the news anchors MUST learn to say wai ji ren shr and not lao wai.

Americans have, by and large, come around to realizing that the Native Americans got a raw deal – and there’s at least an understanding that the vast majority of Americans are from “immigrant” families of one kind or another in the discussion of immigration issues. The Taiwanese are not so far along – take Annette Lu’s remarks about how the Aboriginals ought to be moved to South America, as if she and the rest of the “Taiwanese” Han-Chinese immigrants to this island were simply thinking through a final solution to an abo-infestation problem.

the only real americans are the American INdians, and the only real taiwanese are the TAiwanese Aborigines, everyone else can be said to be IMPORTED. But should place of birth define who one is instead? OR is it length of time spent in a place? Whats the “real” definition?

you talk to any taiwanese abou THIS concept and see what they say:

" i think taiwan is made of three peoples, Han. aboriginal, and us foriegners. we should all be called taiwanese".

they will say no, not YOU!

Why would you expect people to call a foreign national Taiwanese?

[quote=“theposter”]you talk to any Taiwanese abou THIS concept and see what they say:

" i think taiwan is made of three peoples, Han. aboriginal, and us foriegners. we should all be called Taiwanese".

they will say no, not YOU![/quote]

Right… and I’ve met x number of people who I ask if they’re Taiwanese, and they say No! I am American. To which both Taiwanese and Americans would pretty much accept as an answer. You just need a passport right?

But when Llary is asked by a Taiwanese guy what nationality he is, and he says, “I’m Taiwanese” because he chosen Taiwan as his country of residence, I’m quite sure you’re average westerner would be taken aback, but I can only imagine outright refusal from any Taiwanese to accept the fact that you can be white and Taiwanese.

So being American, Australian or British is about being a culture? and being Taiwanese, Japanese and Chinese is being a race?

[quote=“Tyc00n”][quote=“theposter”]you talk to any Taiwanese abou THIS concept and see what they say:

" i think taiwan is made of three peoples, Han. aboriginal, and us foriegners. we should all be called Taiwanese".

they will say no, not YOU![/quote]

Right… and I’ve met x number of people who I ask if they’re Taiwanese, and they say No! I am American. To which both Taiwanese and Americans would pretty much accept as an answer. You just need a passport right?

But when Llary is asked by a Taiwanese guy what nationality he is, and he says, “I’m Taiwanese” because he chosen Taiwan as his country of residence, I’m quite sure you’re average westerner would be taken aback, but I can only imagine outright refusal from any Taiwanese to accept the fact that you can be white and Taiwanese.

So being American, Australian or British is about being a culture? and being Taiwanese, Japanese and Chinese is being a race?[/quote]

actually TAiwanese, Chinese and Japanese are basically the same race , they are HAN people. However a scientific study recently has found that bout 88pct of Taiwanese have Taiwanese Aborigini genome, along with being han.

For every Taiwanese who’s ill-disposed toward me because I’m a white foreigner, there’ll be another who’s well-disposed toward me for the same reason. It all balances out in the end, and gives me no cause to feel hard done by.

Right… thats almost Buddhist in thinking, with the whole balance thing you’ve got there. I see them as both f’ed up in their own special way.

Are those “Taiwanese” US nationals? If so, then yes, they’re American. Just living someplace doesn’t make you a national. And not to denigrate your imagination, but I do know of a few Taiwanese who can accept the fact that you can be white and Taiwanese.

very few, horn man!

you know what, horn players are the only real jazz guys. eveybody else is just trying to do what you guys do!

[quote=“theposter”]very few, horn man!

you know what, horn players are the only real jazz guys. eveybody else is just trying to do what you guys do![/quote]

Well, there aren’t that many of us, yet, so I can’t blame them too much. And don’t underestimate the power of the bass.