Discussion about COVID restrictions and lockdowns in Taiwan

Here’s a piece from CommonWealth Magazine with suggestions about what Taiwan should do going forward. There’s lots of focus on encouraging / pushing remote work. Main suggestions: “updated public health guidance [i.e. people still don’t know how this thing spreads, which I find both shocking and unsurprising], more workers’ rights and remote work, and increased testing.”

It has some pretty graphs comparing outbreaks in Australia and New Zealand with Taiwan, and interesting points about how NZ reduced mobility by 71% and Melbourne eventually by 67% (but more slowly); Taiwan’s currently at -37% from pre-outbreak levels. I liked that - I’ve been looking for this sort of detailed comparison for a while. I was surprised to see that Melbourne’s outbreak was, by 100K population, much bigger than what we’ve had so far - and our outbreak is roughly the same (by proportion) as New Zealand’s. Mind you, the numbers would look different if it was being counted as a “Taipei & New Taipei City” outbreak.

Change in mobility in Taiwan since things hit the fan: transit down 60%; parks down 50%; workplace around 20% (that’s a number they really focus on); groceries now basically unchanged after an initial dip!; retail down 40%, if I’m reading the graph right.

Anyway, interesting article.

2 Likes