Discussion of Senator Robert Byrd (D-WV), dead at 92

[quote=“TwoTongues”]At long, long, long, long, LONG last, Senator Robert Byrd (D-WV) at 92 has bit the dust:

Longest serving congressperson in history - 9 times in the Senate since 1954, back when African-Americans were called black folks were called “colored” and worse - former “Exalted Cyclops” of the KKK (awesome titles for such a shitty organization), voted against the Civil Rights Act, and so much more… Much to be said about the guy in other threads.[/quote]

Ah, the esteemed President Pro Tempore of the Senate and King of Pork Barrel politics has finally bit the dust. The pure hypocrisy of the Liberal Eastern Establishment media is out for all to see. When Jesse Helms died, did any obits in the liberal papers laud him as one of the best Senators in terms of outreach to his constituents? When Strom Thurmond died, did the papers forgive him for earlier stances so easily? Fuck no. Lets not forget the real Robert C Byrd--one that Pelosi, Obama, and Biden arent bringing up today and one which the papers are only briefly touchhing upon.

[quote=“Chewycorns”]Ah, the esteemed President Pro Tempore of the Senate and King of Pork Barrel politics has finally bit the dust. The pure hypocrisy of the Liberal Eastern Establishment media is out for all to see. When Jesse Helms died, did any obits in the liberal papers laud him as one of the best Senators in terms of outreach to his constituents? When Strom Thurmond died, did the papers forgive him for earlier stances so easily? Fuck no. Lets not forget the real Robert C Byrd--one that Pelosi, Obama, and Biden arent bringing up today and one which the papers are only briefly touchhing upon. [/quote]Interesting.
Did Helms or Thurmond repudiate their earlier views? No.
Did Byrd? Yes.

Does that matter? Well, according to some people, some of the time… yes. Some of the time… when convenient.

Interesting application of (some form of) a statute of limitations and time off (forgiveness, really) for good behavior.

Curious: why do you not apply the same reasoning to Ted Kennedy? Is vehicular manslaughter so much more serious than wholesale slaughter?[/quote]
I’m not much bothered by Byrd’s death. I’m glad he changed his ways, but I’m not about to author his hagiography.

You are far too predictably inconsistent, Chewycorns. Your posts are punchlines.

Bye bye Byrdie.

[quote=“Jaboney”][quote=“Chewycorns”]Ah, the esteemed President Pro Tempore of the Senate and King of Pork Barrel politics has finally bit the dust. The pure hypocrisy of the Liberal Eastern Establishment media is out for all to see. When Jesse Helms died, did any obits in the liberal papers laud him as one of the best Senators in terms of outreach to his constituents? When Strom Thurmond died, did the papers forgive him for earlier stances so easily? Fuck no. Lets not forget the real Robert C Byrd--one that Pelosi, Obama, and Biden arent bringing up today and one which the papers are only briefly touchhing upon. [/quote]Interesting.
Did Helms or Thurmond repudiate their earlier views? No.
Did Byrd? Yes.

Does that matter? Well, according to some people, some of the time… yes. Some of the time… when convenient.

Interesting application of (some form of) a statute of limitations and time off (forgiveness, really) for good behavior.

Curious: why do you not apply the same reasoning to Ted Kennedy? Is vehicular manslaughter so much more serious than wholesale slaughter?[/quote]
I’m not much bothered by Byrd’s death. I’m glad he changed his ways, but I’m not about to author his hagiography.

You are far too predictably inconsistent, Chewycorns. Your posts are punchlines.[/quote]
And how old was he when he used the term “White Niggers”? I’d argue that he didn’t change his stripes. He was still a bonafide racist to the end–one that was sanctioned by the Democrats in the same way it was for Ernest Hollings, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and all the other tolerant folk.

Sharon, on the other hand, showed, even at the end of his career, that he was a Ben-Gurionist at heart.

Inconsistent? No. Just a fountain of knowledge. :laughing: If anything, Sharon ended his career as he entered it. So did Byrd. That’s my point and it’s pretty consistent–wouldn’t you say?

And yes, both Helms and Thurmond did soften stances in later years. On a lot of different issues, including foreign aid and race relations.

I don’t think anybody who used to be in the KKK has any business being in the US government. But he was one of the only ones to speak out against going to war in Iraq. I’ll give him that.