Dishwashers in Taiwan. Good or bad?

The manufacturer is called Mistral (probably from China - but they sell 110V appliances). I bought on Momo - but they also sell on Shopee and have different models (mine is the second one, I think):

If you buy, you should have someone speaking Chinese to take the call so you can make an appointment for the installation.

The dryer is a Panasonic (cheapest one I found that didn’t look too “strange”) and the stand is some generic thing from China. They also sell cheaper stands for around NT$ 1,000 (bought on of these first) but these are very shaky! I replaced mine.

2 Likes

I have one of those front loading washer that also dries. It takes a long time to dry though, but I can set the cycle and the clothe would be clean and dried next morning.

But if you want dryer with any real capacity you should get them in 220. 110v is very limited in how much heat it can produce using heating coils. Those front loaders use heat pump rather than just heating coil to dry clothing.

Is this also 110v, gas or 220v? If it’s 110v does it dry well?

That’s true, but so far all of the 220v I have seen are 28,000 NTD plus. Not including wiring up a 220v outlet.

I bought the front loading washer/dryer for 5000nt, used.

Look around in the buy/sell groups… expats who leave will often let them go cheap.

110v - needs quite long to dry stuff (I always put it on low heat though) - but still fine (also on rainy days). I still hang-dry most clothes and use the dryer mainly for towels and bedsheets (simply no space to hang-dry these comfortably).

Of course, in terms of quality both the dishwasher and the dryer aren’t “top notch” and if I wouldn’t live in a rental, I probably wouldn’t have bought them. Washing machine is provided by the landlord already - so didn’t make sense to get a combo one.

The point was more that it’s still possible to get a dryer and dishwasher in Taiwan for less than 25k combined - even without having to find a good deal on a used pair and figuring out how to transport it.

1 Like

That should be done actually.

Dishwasher in Taiwan = splash some cold water on it, call it clean.

Taiwan homes don’t really have space, they don’t want to use (or pay for) hot water and extra electricity, and been doing it this way always so doesn’t really seem like luxury.

Far more versatile than any machine.

4 Likes

That’s aN over 20 years old Vietnamese made dishwasher, doubt it’s any match for a newer western model. SCNR

2 Likes

I’ve always found the Vietnamese models to do a better job than their Western competitors. The Western ones make a lot of annoying noises, don’t do as good a job, age quickly and cost a lot more.

4 Likes

Water, no. Dishwashers use less water than hand washing.

Electricity, yes. But power is cheap here.

She looks versatile. :wink:

But dishwashers are expensive in Taiwan. It’s considered a luxury item here. So most wash by hand.

And of course the site doesn’t tell you how much that mini dishwasher costs… because if you have to ask, you can’t afford it.

Also I don’t want a dishwasher that has to update its firmware on wifi… it’s not a freaking computer.

For something that’s been around for 100 years, and is essentially unchanged during all that time, they shouldn’t cost 30,000nt.

2 Likes

And from what I understand, you need to buy proprietary dishwashing soap pods…

Costco has some decent dishwashers. They go under your counter, so need to remove kitchen drawers to make room.

…if you’re lucky enough to have a sufficiently large kitchen, that’s probably the best option :sweat_smile:

So like that Juicero crap?

2 Likes

I bought a used 6 person LG (kind of like 2/3rd or 1/2 typical American size). It does make life easier–cleans most of the day’s dishes and empties into your sink.

Yeah. They haven’t even announced yet what they will be charging for one „cassette“:

What is the price of a Bob cassette?

They solution has been developed and tested. The price will be announced soon.

Stay tuned!

And if the company goes bust, you‘re stuck with an expensive piece of garbage:

Can I refill my Bob cassette myself?

No.

We use a highly concentrated detergent formula which is not publicly available for sale.

So we have set up a way to collect used cassettes, clean them and refill them in our factory.

This allows us to offer you an optimal washing quality with a zero waste solution!

1 Like