Dishwashers in Taiwan. Good or bad?

Detergents have been around for a very long time, I dare say longer than dishwashers have been around. The chemistry is not a mystery, and if this cassette is anything game changing, then there are patents on it that we can read about, because you’ll need to patent it in order to prevent someone else from copying the stuff.

This company WILL fail, I guarantee it.

If anyone here bought the unit, and ended up with an expensive paperweight after the company goes bust, I will modify the unit to remove all the IOT junk and make it work without needing to go online, you just buy whatever detergent out there.

Of course I’d be happy to dispose of it for you as well should you choose that route.

Companies like this get started because someone made some beautiful presentation on how they can get investors several times their money back by creating a MLM like business where the consumer is dependent on the company to make it work. Juicero went under in like two years and the unit is vastly over engineered. I would hope that most investors are smart enough to avoid this… but you know, some people are just REALLY good at presenting stuff.

Wi-Fi

Bob is the first mini dishwasher that can connect to Wi-Fi for updates to its operating system and other features that will come soon…

:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Yes it does, but not on the Taiwanese site. I guess not yet available in Taiwan as they actually make the washer to order, waiting time is three weeks.

'The set-up process also asks you to insert the washing tablets – or “Bob cassettes”. These are their own 100 per cent recycled plastic all-in-one dishwasher detergents, which last for 30 cycles. When you run out, extra cassettes cost £30 or you can use normal dishwasher tablets.

I think I posted the part 1 of these videos on another thread, and taiwan_lutheir also posted that one in this thread. I think it was something about buying dish washer pods at costco. Anyway, these videos convinced me that adding some detergent for the pre-wash cycle is much more effective than buying any fancy pods or tablets.

I also have a Bosch model which doesn’t come with a pre-wash detergent compartment, but I just add some powder on the door panel next to the main wash detergent compartment.

I was pretty against getting a dish washer. I always felt it didn’t take that long to wash the dishes and there’s no way to get the dishes completely dry with a dish washer.

But when my wife was pregnant with our daughter, one night I found myself doing dishes at 1AM, and I thought that’s not sustainable if I have one more person to take care of. So I had a last minute change of mind and swapped out the dish dryer for the dish washer.

Now I also use the dish washer to clean the bottles with 70°C water and without any detergent. It’s definitely a life saver.

4 Likes

Yea… it’s going to sell like hot cakes… not.

It’s probably fine for guitars to build it to order but dishwasher is like a normal appliance, and a small desktop ones isn’t even that expensive.

And my guitars do not require an internet connection.

1 Like

Yet

3 Likes

I don’t have the need to add internet function to guitars… and guitarists are traditionalists, even using too much effect is already too much for them.

You know what would benefit from IoT? Guns.

Imagine a gun that has to update its firmware and refuses to fire when it’s within 1000 feet of a school.

That would stop school shootings.

1 Like

Peoples concept of “luxury” here makes me crazy. Fancy car when you live a five minute walk from the nearest MRT station, bus stop to anywhere, and your child’s school? Absolutely necessary. Must drive child to school as walking will make them too tired. A watch costing over a thousand USD? Will die without at a least a few. Armani man purse? Needed. A kitchen large enough to prep food without putting it on the floor? Don’t be ridiculous we don’t have that kind of money! We must dedicate at least 10 ping of our tiny apartment to our shrine to gods we don’t even believe in!! (And spend a few 萬 on stuff for the shrine every time we travel to a different county). A clothes dryer or a dish washer? We might own a home that allegedly can be resold for at least 15 million USD, but we just don’t have that kind of wealth!!

6 Likes

Yea it boggles the mind… but I don’t want to own vehicles in Taiwan because there is no need. Bus and MRT everywhere, and having a car or scooter might save about 30 minutes a day in commute or whatever (I guess it depends on what your time is worth).

I live alone so a dishwasher might not be all that helpful, but if you have a family it sure is helpful. But then there are stuff that a dishwasher is good at cleaning, such as those 3M gas masks that I have to have around because of the stupid faith people in Taiwan have in masks.

You guys say Taiwan, but you really mean Taipei…

3 Likes

When I speak of public transit, I am talking about Taipei. But I’ve met far more “rich??!!?” people outside of Taipei that recklessly spend money on literal crap while not spending it on things that I would consider to be basic necessities for a comfortable life. People who drive cars that cost over 150k USD, own massive swaths of land, wear designer watches and shoes, but are content to live in a 鐵皮屋, even though there’s a “proper” concrete house on their property that they’re not using, refuse to turn on the hot water when their kids are bathing, and won’t run the AC even when it’s well over 30 degrees outside. Do you need a car outside of Taipei? Probably. A scooter at least would make life significantly easier and you absolutely need a real car if you value the lives of any children you have. But does it need to cost as much as a house in a similarly rural area in the US? No, especially when you’re spending that money on your fancy car while living in what looks like abject poverty in all other aspects of your life.

3 Likes

Not meaning to pick at you, but you seem deranged here. How can you possibly know what people do and do not believe?

Me: “This is a nice set up. I’m curious because I don’t know much about Taiwan’s gods, can you tell me more about these figurines?”
Them: “well, we got this one from Hualien. It cost 35,000. And this one is from Taitung. Was this one 70,000? Oh, no, it was 68,000. And this one here…”
Me: “so what does this god represent?”
Them: “well, we put these here because they protect our family. You should consider it. For example, when my husband puts this jade thing in the rear view mirror, he’s safe while he’s driving drunk, which is every time he gets behind the wheel. It’s really important that you have an area like this in your home. It’s the only way you’ll be safe and your work will go smoothly. And you should wear more jade. You’ll be safer that way.”
Me: “I’d love to learn more about who these gods are. Can you tell me more?”
Them: murmurs about 土地公 and tells me more about how the more money I spend on these things, the better my life will be.

Yeah, I guess I don’t actually know if they believe in them or not, but I’ve found that the more statutes an alter has on it, the less the owners know about those gods. Look, I was raised Catholic. I’ll admit I never paid attention to much about the religion. But if you put an alter to a saint or a portrait of a saint in your home, you did so with the intention of asking that saint to protect you for whatever their supposed purpose was. When you have a bunch of god statutes on an alter and you can’t tell me anything about what they’re doing there other than “oh it makes my life better to spend lots of money on them”, it’s a really commercialized/twisted version of religion where the belief is “when I spend a lot of money on these things, my life is better”, not “these gods protect me/help me in these ways”. Which gets me back to the wasting money thing. Your religion is spending money on things that serve no purpose other than making you feel good about spending an insane amount of money on them, not a belief in the gods themselves. I’m not saying that everyone in Taiwan is like this, but I have noticed that the simpler someone’s home is from an alter standpoint, the more they can tell me about gods and their stories and everything else.

Edit to bring this back to dishwashers: so they would rather spend the money on god statutes than things that could simplify their lives, which really means their wife’s life, like a dishwasher or clothes dryer, because these are families where the husband is the emperor of the house and everyone else is his servants. Which is their choice. But I still judge them for it because it’s not making anyones life easier.

1 Like

Precisely because it’s their servant, and why spend money so their servant can work less? After all they have servants so they don’t have to buy stuff like dishwasher.

And electricity is so expensive for them that they wouldn’t want to spend an extra 10kwh per month. But let’s pay a million US on a dump…

I suspect a lot of traditions in a lot of cultures stem from some sort of marketing scheme that occured hundreds or thousands of years ago. Back then people weren’t just superstitious…they were ultrastitious.

Typical household machines really don’t make housework that much less, they tend to displace housework tasks: the time it takes you to rinse the plate before inserting into dishwasher is time that would normally be used to wash the bloody thing, dishes have to be stacked/unstacked/restacked before stowing away, the machines require maintenance regulaly - cleaning, etc; with Taiwan’s higher ambient temperature, dish drying and warmer water for washing are far more suitable than the 5c water at home. Lastly, the higher humidity and salt/sulphur air tends to eat at the metals reducing a machine’s life span. Add in the lower input costs… I’d argue that a dishwasher is actually a more expensive and less than trouble-free way to spend your $$$ here. But I’ve never had one other than my own two hands.

Yeah, this is what I thought. The only washer of dishes besides myself is the occasional female dinner guest :slight_smile:

booooooooooooooo

There are many places in the US with far higher ambient temperature than Taiwan… Texas, Arizona, even Florida (though Florida is more similar to Taiwan in temp and humidity)

I lived in El Paso, so I can tell you, sure if you are out in the open, El Paso’s sun can be unrelenting and even the driving wheel on your car becomes soft after baking under the summer sun, and you certainly could cook an egg on your car’s hood, but if you can stay under the shade, then I’d pick El Paso’s dry heat over Taiwan’s humid summer heat. Although, sudden massive nose bleed is a huge negative.

…like the anime kind of nose bleed that comes about for certain reasons or a real nose bleed?