Dispute with neighbors -- I think the police are biased against foreigners

That’s right. I posted this vid before but i’ll post it again.

5 Likes

I give you speak…

…jaw-wag

wa ga li gong is Taiwanese for “let me tell you”. Often if a neighbor tracks you down it’s so that he can give you a little speech about some boring subject or other.

Basically, what @the_bear is saying is if you hear those four words, the conversation will not end anytime soon. So you better run as fast as you can or at least come up with some excuse for not being able to stay for a chat.

5 Likes

That’s funny. Yeah the implication is clearly “I’m right and you need to listen.” Or why say it? Yes, you’re speaking, I get it.

Pretty good, not so much “let me tell you about my Aunt Sarah and her gecko farm” as “let me tell you, these young people today”

This happens all the time, if you are a foreigner in Taiwan you are pretty much screwed. There is tons of stuff like this where a foreigner complains about something and it gets ignored. But when it is a case against a foreigner they go to every length to get you…

I have experienced the same thing here.

If you are a foreigner they will sue you, threaten to kill you and blast you over the news if you do something like leaving a paper cup behind. But to win a case as a foreigner you need to nearly get stabbed to death…

2 Likes

Rule number 1.Never sign anything you don’t understand
Rule 2. Yes, of course they are bias as you’ll live here for a year and they their life time
Rule 3. Keep the number of the foreign affairs police in your pocket at all times
Rue4. DONT SIGN WHAT YOU DONT UNDERSTAND AND NEVER LET THEM INSIDE YOUR HOUSE
Rule 5. Know the right people
Two years ago I was kicked in the back by a pretty big random nut case in a Family Mart, I broke his orbital bone and knocked out many of his teeth. He went to IU. I won the legal case. Foreign affairs police were involved immediately as were the local police. It does not always go in the locals favor.

2 Likes

Jail for these thugs.

Please elaborate on the never let them inside your house part. I had a visit from the special police that solves noise issues and neighbor disputesb to do their silly noise tests. If I had denied them entry, that would have exacerbated the problem in my opinion.

2 Likes

Who are the foreign affairs police and what is their number?

1 Like

Never sign anything you can not read, never.

4 Likes

Always reminds me of Radar in MASH when people do this.

Here: Foreign Affairs Police in Taiwan
I tried to copy and paste here, but I’m having issues to post a table while on mobile.

1 Like

Sorry if it’s not really relevant to the thread but I remember we had neighbours who weren’t too friendly and my dad has a habit of getting into arguments. To this day I only know what the dad looked like had nothing to do with them myself. One night the son who was a bit older than me was having a party and late that night he and his mates came round the front and I could hear them snickering and they throw a large rock through my sister’s window (they thought it was mine). Coppers didn’t do crap (well no real evidence but it was obvious it was them). A little later I heard him talking with his mate over the fence how much he hated me and wanted to stick my drumstick up my rear end (but I never touched a drum kit that was my sister)

1 Like

At least they’ve thrown the rock on the correct window (unknowingly) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Is there any specific reason I should call them? In what types of circumstances?

They are like regular police, but for foreigners.
From 錯誤訊息頁面

Foreign affairs police are those who are in charge of protecting foreign population (including foreign nationals, people of the Mainland China, Hong Kong and Macao residents, and R.O.C. nationals without household registration in Taiwan), foreign embassies, consulates and representative offices in Taiwan, their officers’ safety as well as handling cases related with foreign affairs. The purpose of establishing this unit aims to protect foreign population, to investigate their illegal activities, to enhance international cooperation and to promote international friendship. With frequent international exchanging activities, the trend of economic globalization, industrial internationalization, “Three Direct Links” between the two asides of the Taiwan Straits, and the trend of fast population movement, human trafficking such as sexual exploitation, and labor exploitation has posed a threat to public order. The current main tasks of foreign affairs police are to protect foreign population and actively crack down on human-trafficking.

4 Likes