Dispute with neighbors -- I think the police are biased against foreigners

I saw that when I googled them. I was just wondering for more practical insight on when and why I’d call them in a pinch.

1 Like

Anytime you have/could have/should have an encounter with police but aren’t comfortable speaking Mandarin.
But if you follow @Marco advice, it makes no difference…

1 Like

Basically these days they’ve expanded the foreign affairs police to almost have at least one or two foreign affairs police officers in every major police station. If you don’t understand Mandarin they will also translate for you. They also keep their own records of all that happened. Therefore in my case as the incident which happened was involving violence I was concerned the local cops that turned up were friends of the mentally sick individual’s family or the Family Mart owners were too. I didn’t want the camera footage of him attacking me from behind to "get mislaid " or “damaged”. Therefore I made sure both the local beat cops and the foreign affairs cops had the footage (the foreign affairs cops were also of higher rank). I also had some other people come to the scene too. Generally the foreign affairs cops are university graduates that are on the fast track promotion program. That’s my two cents just trying to help.

3 Likes

With neighbors like that I think the only response was to move and thank your lucky stars that you are able to, that it’s just a rental. Sounds like a nightmare.

I had xenophobic neighbors like that - not in Taiwan - another country where I was a foreigner. Anyway, I won’t list out all the crap that happened, (it was pretty bad). I was bitter for a while against the entire country, but in the end just realized that I had lived in a bad street, in a bad neighborhood, in a bad town.

7 Likes

Why is it that if you dislike someone who happens to be another race many people will call you xenophobic. I think is a misuse of the word and weakens its meaning. Cant we just hate each other for unique reasons. I dont hate my ex coworker because he’s vietnamese. I hate him because he came to work drunk and stuck a drill bit 3 inches into my leg. He then reported me for being racist against asians. Apparently having an Asian wife didnt help because at the meeting with HR I told him I was not racist because I had an Asian wife and he said she was Taiwanese and he is vietnamese so it didnt count. I then said “same thing. You people are all alike”.
Meeting didnt go well for me

5 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: When and how to contact the FAP (Foreign Affairs Police)

lol

Just checking; were you born under a bad moon too? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

bad%20moon

What? Why would you say that?

3 posts were split to a new topic: When and how to contact the FAP (Foreign Affairs Police)

Counter sue, if you have enough material to implicate them.
Many Taiwanese are not friendly at all, we always hear that from tourists or fresh off the boat arrivals, oh people are so friendly. They can be mean and selfish, starting law suits and screwing each other over for tiniest thing. Live here long enough and you’ll know.

5 Likes

How could one stop someone from flying a drone next to someone’s window and filming them?

RF jammer!

Hehe … “ why can’t we just hate each other “ ? … we can … it’s not great though … ask @Rocket , he gets all flustered sometimes

It could be a crime.

Article 315-1 of Criminal Code of ROC
An offense with one of the following circumstances shall be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than three years, short-term imprisonment, or a fine of not more than three hundred thousand yuan:

1. Uses instruments or equipment without reason to peep at or eavesdrop on other’s non-public activities, speeches, talks, or the private part of the body
  2. Uses audio recording, photographic, visual-taping, or electromagnetic means without reason to record other’s non-public activities, speeches, talks, or the private bodily part

妨害秘密罪是告訴乃論,在法律上是「不告不理」,張承瑞建議如果民眾發現空拍機有偷拍侵犯隱私疑慮,可先以攝錄器材如手機、相機等反蒐證,並拍攝到操作空拍機的行為人,報警處理,由警方檢視影帶是否有拍攝到屬於隱私的私人畫面。

Your honor, my reason is … what’s my reason … what can my reason be … uh, uh, uh he snores!

I assume if you set up a camera on the roof of the building you reside in pointing to someon’s window does not come under that law?

1 Like

They don’t call him Crusher for nuttin’. :grin:

2 Likes

I agree and I’ve 20 years under my belt, much of it working with Taiwanese daily.

Mafia don’t get involved in regular biz disputes where I’m from, but they do here. I’ve been threatened by mafia at work when I worked for a Taiwanese company .

Also tonnes of petty lawsuits about trivial shit and a culture of passive aggressive behaviour and stealing from, ripping off business partners who are supposed to be ‘friends’.

Snide comments about co-workers weight or color or race, especially to females.

Jealousy , back biting and envy of some foreigners for having a job or getting treated relatively well.

Ignoring child abuse is or was a big problem
or at least a reluctance to get the authorities involved.

Hopefully many of those issues above are becoming lessened with the younger generation. You might not encounter them so much you don’t work here in Taiwanese businesses. But as we see the same can happen with neighbours.

Some friendly folks for sure. Foreigners are generally pretty welcome . Most people just getting through their day.

My biggest problem is not any of that though, I find most locals too damn quiet and shy these days and there’s a general awkwardness around ‘foreigners’. Never thought I’d say that 20 years ago!

6 Likes

19 posts were split to a new topic: Organized crime in Taiwan