Disrespectful Cousin

Just an opening disclaimer this is more of a vent post so apologies ahead of time if this offends anyone. This post is also more about family relationships rather than dating relationships.

I have a cousin I’m not very close to but have started hanging out more with since I arrived in Taiwan last month. I am from the US while he is native born Taiwanese. I used to feel bad for him because like me he grew up in a similar upbringing (abuse was very common in my household) and it has made him completely undesirable to people and women.

I used to feel bad for him because I identified with him, but overtime I have started to see him as “pathetic” and a “loser”. I don’t wish to see him this way but I have really started to lose a lot of respect for him as a person.

The thing is my cousin is actually almost 20 years older than me I am in my mid 20’s and he’s in his early 40’s. As I’ve grown older I realized that I had approached life differently than him and overcome a lot of personal demons, insecurities, and worked heavily on myself over the last decade to the point that I feel things are finally working out better for me. He hasn’t done the same.

He is in his 40’s, works a job that doesn’t pay well (which is fine), lacks basic social skills, basic conversational skills, and is still coddled by his overbearing mother. He is from a wealthier family so he has not had to worry about money ever, but that has also stunted his growth because he has never had to work his ass off and learn important life lessons. He’s had a situationship with this girl who ended up leaving him and marrying some other guy (which he attended the wedding). That’s the extent of his dating experience (besides hooking up with prostitutes he paid with his mom’s money).

I think all of this is fine because people have shitty life circumstances. However what I don’t think is fine is not having any drive to change your life circumstances. I think that is what I don’t respect about him.

Anyhow during my short duration here, he found out how much money I was able to make doing finance. His eyes perked up during one conversation when he realized how lucrative my job was and so he was interested in learning some finance. I do teach students on my own time, but my space and time is limited and because of my busy schedule I didn’t really want to teach another lesson.

However, he kept asking me about it and showing interest and so I decided I would make some time for him and start a course with him. So I give him the details and the rate that I charge and immediately he tries to haggle the price down. I tell him that I am already giving him a “family special” because I usually charge a lot more (which is true). He says okay, then we figure out a weekly time to meet up. We set the schedule to be Monday every week.

Several days later, he tells me that now he only wants to “try out” the first class before making a full commitment. So I’m like “cool” but getting a bit irritated given that he was the one that asked me to teach him, then agreed to the original terms.

A week later before the class starts, he messages me and tells me that “I can’t do Monday, can we change to Thursday?” So I say we can change it for the week but I have a busy schedule and limited time so I can only do Mondays the following weeks. He says “okay”.

The day of the class comes along, it is Thursday. He messages me 10 minutes before the class telling me that “oh I thought it was on Monday”. I tell him that I can do the following day same time just this once or we would have to wait to the following week to meet up. He tells me that he has a “party with coworkers” the following day but that he could show up at 10pm.

So guess what happens? 15 minutes before 10pm today he texts me “I can’t make it, I’m still driving”. Which I ask in response when would he be able to get home tonight. He tells me “After 11:30pm”

I’m actually very irritated right now given this guy is 20 years older than me, is a man child that has zero professionalism and wastes my time. The guy was the one that came to me for my expertise, tried to haggle my rate down unapologetically, then changes the time for the class twice. I know for a fact he’s partying with his co-workers right now because he told me the day before it was what he was doing tonight.

What bothers me though is ever heard of letting people know ahead of time? Or an apology? He hasn’t apologized one single time for wasting my time. I think because of this I will be dropping him from my class.

I can’t really help but think he’s the very definition of a loser. Perhaps I am too harsh but my upbringing was actually way worse than his but I made it out a different person while he is basically a man-child in his 40’s, completely incompetent without any redeeming attributes. Had he apologized to me, that would have been at least something. But man, this guy is lost.

I feel bad for him but at the same time I feel pity.

Thanks for listening to my ramble. Had to get it off my chest.

10 Likes

Never, ever, engage in business with friends and/or especially family. EVER.

20 Likes

Don’t think about it. Just do it. You gave him more than enough chances.

3 Likes

If he is giving you this much grief before you have even started, imagine how much off a ballache he is going to be as you progress through the course. That would be a no from me.

4 Likes

So tell Uncle Cuck that he’s missed the boat and your schedule is now full?

1 Like

I think you describe many aspects of nowadays Taiwan, not just your cousin. The lack of drive to change is stagnating this society as a whole.

4 Likes

Well, let’s not overreact. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

It sounds like he doesn’t want to pay you. Therefore either make it for fee , or standard fee with money up front and no cancelations allowed .

Although I’d agree that business and family/friendship shouldn’t be mixed (there are some exceptions), in Taiwan/Asia that is often the norm and expected.

2 Likes

Yep. And nothing but a huge drama-filled clusterfuck every single time. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

3 Likes

You could say…

First lesson is free: When you ask for help and someone agrees to help you at a discounted rate, take advantage of the opportunity and don’t waste the person’s time. Life doesn’t hand out lots of opportunities, often there are no second chances. This lesson is free. Good luck :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Just take your time back, tell him you are booked , move on and don’t give it anymore thought.

9 Likes

You should avoid this person.

2 Likes

You seem to have the opinion that your lives diverged because of good choices that you made, and poor choices that your cousin made. Sure, you might have had similar backgrounds and experiences, but what you’re not taking into consideration is natural personality traits and gifts.

You may very well be naturally gifted to be able to easily make the necessary changes required to change the course of your life for the better, but your cousin may very well lack those natural gifts and thus making it extremely difficult to even begin to make those changes. If that is the case, I would hardly consider that “lacking motivation to change”.

I’ll give you an example. You mentioned social skills. Perhaps you once lacked social skills due to your abusive upbringing, but you were able to make a decision and improve that skill. Your cousin, on the other hand, may very well be born with zero social skills (perhaps he is just extremely introverted, for example), and no amount of “motivation” is going to get rid of his introversion.

5 Likes

One of the things you will have once you’re in a position to help others is that there will be time wasters who say they want something but will never put in the real work.

Can’t tell you how many times someone asked me for help to start their own e-commerce business and gave up when they realized they would have to put in a lot of work. They really think my life is just chilling on the beach with my laptop drinking cocktails making money.

4 Likes

True, I agree with you. I don’t tend to judge unless I don’t see effort. Because I think that is integral to change. It’s okay to not be at a place where you want to be because of terrible life circumstances, but I don’t think it’s okay to simply “give up” or to put minimal effort into improvement (although I can understand the overwhelming feeling of hopelessness).

At one point though, if you are going to learn from me, take up my time, you should do the best that you can because that’s all I can ask for and all that the person can give. But I don’t see that which is what is frustrating about the entire situation.

1 Like

Let him be he doesn’t need money and he doesn’t need you

And you don’t need him

Necessity is the mother of invention

No necessity no invention

But with family it’s best to give as you will and expect zero in return or else you will build resentment

As you are

1 Like

Sounds like you have stories, do tell! :popcorn: :grin:

1 Like