Disturbing Article on China's Preparations for War

Taiwan was called reckless when they decided to hold presidential elections, and when they elected A-bian etc.

However, Taiwan needs to do those things in order to stay known. If they had remained a KMT dictatorship, they would be part of China now anyway.

What Taiwan needs is a leader who understands WORLD politics. A-Bian and company are morons. They have no idea how to steer this (insert title here) into this century. I don’t see anyone stepping up. Taiwan is going to get a lot worse before it gets any better.

Moderator’s note: :offtopic:

I disagree. I see a constant development here toward a better society.

Back on topic:

The leaders here understand world politics well enough to know that they have to be seen in order to survive. The referendum is a great idea as a matter of fact.

It will help A-bian get reelected, will show to the world that Taiwan is democratic, and will get this island and the big bully across the strait well and truly into the global eye.

And the blue camp can’t do much.

[quote=“Mr He”]I disagree. I see a constant development here toward a better society.

Back on topic:

The leaders here understand world politics well enough to know that they have to be seen in order to survive. The referendum is a great idea as a matter of fact.

It will help A-bian get reelected, will show to the world that Taiwan is democratic, and will get this island and the big bully across the strait well and truly into the global eye.

And the blue camp can’t do much.[/quote]

Could not agree more. For those who truly understand Taiwan’s history after living here for a number of years, A-bian is Taiwan’s only hope for a truly free and unique Taiwan.

In some ways, definitely … in other ways, no. As for the positive changes, I don’t think the credit rests with Chen Shui-bian. I have a hard time buying the belief that A-bian is the best hope for Taiwan’s future or he is such a brave and courageous guy for standing up to China … I think the only thing he cares about is A-bian, same for Lee Teng-hui, Lien Chan, James Soong, and the rest of them. They have done nothing substantive, like establishing the rule of law, improvement of education, trimming down the bureaucracy, cleaning up the environment, etc. They’ve also done nothing to improve the civics education here to teach people what democracy is about or that for it to work the people have to participate. The only example they’ve given the people is how to act like spoiled little brats who know how to get into catfights in the Legislative Yuan. The Taiwanese people deserve better, and I hope they’ll start to demand something more from their politicians.

What about those who either don’t truly understand Taiwan’s history or who haven’t lived here for a number of years?

I guess I need to live here for a bit longer before I “see the light”. To me Chen is just a selfish, clueless politician who cares more about his political legacy than the welfare of the Taiwanese people, just like all the other politicians. Ironically, I always thought it was the FOB foreigners who were always way too enthusiastic about Chen, Lee and the DPP in general, while those who had been here longer tend to be a bit more realistic/cynical, but I suppose everyone has a different take on things.

In any case, my vote will be going to whomever I think will be best for Taiwan, regardless of their percieved moral value, as none of them have any worth mentioning.

Those who have been here longer realize that politicians merely mirror the dysfunctional society they pretend to represent. The biggest challenge facing Taiwan is not the Chinese missles, but rather the task of converting the selfish and greedy populace into a workable civil society.

In some ways, definitely … in other ways, no. As for the positive changes, I don’t think the credit rests with Chen Shui-bian. I have a hard time buying the belief that A-bian is the best hope for Taiwan’s future or he is such a brave and courageous guy for standing up to China … I think the only thing he cares about is A-bian, same for Lee Teng-hui, Lien Chan, James Soong, and the rest of them. They have done nothing substantive, like establishing the rule of law, improvement of education, trimming down the bureaucracy, cleaning up the environment, etc. They’ve also done nothing to improve the civics education here to teach people what democracy is about or that for it to work the people have to participate. The only example they’ve given the people is how to act like spoiled little brats who know how to get into catfights in the Legislative Yuan. The Taiwanese people deserve better, and I hope they’ll start to demand something more from their politicians.[/quote]