"Divine backing" for Chen?

Has President Chen bcome a Christian in recent years or in recent days or is he still a god fearing Buddhist? It’s true, the media here and overseas have reported about him thanking “God” for surviving the attempt on his life. And now this:

According to CNN, a legislator close to the DPP said that having survived the alleged assassination attempt last Friday – and clinched a razor-thin electoral victory – the 53-year-old leader Chen Shui-bian felt that the heavens were on the side of the Taiwan cause.

“The President repeatedly said “God bless Taiwan” after emerging from the hospital last Friday,” the legislator told CNN. “It is evident that like his predecessor Lee Teng-hui, Chen is convinced his pro-independence crusade enjoys divine backing.”

Lee Teng hui is a Presbyterian and I think his religious values inspire his life and speeches and actions. But I always thought Chen was still a Buddhist, although he often hosts prayer breakfasts with men and women of all religions here, and seems very opened minded about Christianity’s future in Taiwan.

Did he get religion the other day? Or is the media just unsure how to report the word God/god/gods?

CSB used the word tian, which is a much vaguer word than Shangdi, which is the Mandarin word for the Judeo-Christian God. Tian could be translated as meaning heaven, or even “the gods”.

the words (and ideas) Shangdi and Tian were around before Christ showed up in China. it’s not necessarily christian depending on the context.

the words (and ideas) Shangdi and Tian were around before Christ showed up in China. it’s not necessarily christian depending on the context.[/quote]
True, but it has come to mean/represent the monotheistic “western” God.

the words (and ideas) Shangdi and Tian were around before Christ showed up in China. it’s not necessarily christian depending on the context.[/quote]
True, but it has come to mean/represent the monotheistic “western” God.[/quote]

In my understanding of Chinese religion “shangdi” is kind of the emperor of the gods if you will. Correct me if I’m wrong, I’m not an expert.

Hi, for what’s worth: I asked around and shangdi, they all translate to the western God.
:slight_smile:

[quote=“Hamster”]Hi, for what’s worth: I asked around and shangdi, they all translate to the western God.
:slight_smile:[/quote]

correct me again if i don’t commonly see the inscription “shangdibaoyou” on taiwanese family alters. i always kind of assumed this was not referring to the western god :slight_smile:

[quote=“Hamster”]Hi, for what’s worth: I asked around and shangdi, they all translate to the western God.

When I go to church, we always say “TianZhu” for “God”.

[quote=“ludahai”][quote=“Hamster”]Hi, for what’s worth: I asked around and shangdi, they all translate to the western God.

When I go to church, we always say “TianZhu” for “God”.[/quote]
You must be a Catholic.

[quote=“Juba”][quote=“ludahai”][quote=“Hamster”]Hi, for what’s worth: I asked around and shangdi, they all translate to the western God.

You must be a Catholic.[/quote]

Yes, I am.

[quote=“ludahai”][quote=“Juba”][quote=“ludahai”][quote=“Hamster”]Hi, for what’s worth: I asked around and shangdi, they all translate to the western God.

You must be a Catholic.[/quote]

Yes, I am.[/quote]

Why must TianZhu mean Catholic? Explain Juba.