Divorce and aprc

Hello, I’m about to get a divorce from my Taiwanese wife here and am very close to obtaining my APRC visa. My wife is trying to stop me from getting the APRC. I"ve met all the requirments on the application form, but my wife has called the immigration and made up stories…

If there is any advice out there?

[quote=“sammitysam”]Hello, I’m about to get a divorce from my Taiwanese wife here and am very close to obtaining my APRC visa. My wife is trying to stop me from getting the APRC. I"ve met all the requirments on the application form, but my wife has called the immigration and made up stories…

If there is any advice out there?[/quote]Fight fire with fire. Refuse to divorce her if she continues to not cooperate with you in obtaining APRC status. The laws regarding divorce in Taiwan are very strict and one can not usually obtain a divorce without the other spouse’s agreement. Are you on an employment based ARC or a JFRV marriage ARC?

JFRV marriage…not employment…

ouch

good luck

have you tried phoning immigration? how did she find out you were applying? can you buy her off?

ie, sign a divorse agreement stating that should you obtain the PARC the divorse will be final and you will compensate your wife 100,000nt compensation? it may cost, but seems like she’s gonna be best to be got rid of and your new life started afresh

also, Hartzel, would such a divorce contract be legal? or would it hurt his immigration status?

What ??

I should be able to get the APRC anyways because I’ve been here since forever. I don’t get how it could be ruined.

[quote=“sammitysam”]Hello, I’m about to get a divorce from my Taiwanese wife here and am very close to obtaining my APRC visa. My wife is trying to stop me from getting the APRC. I"ve met all the requirments on the application form, but my wife has called the immigration and made up stories…

If there is any advice out there?[/quote]
You’re upset and emotional, take a deep breath and listen to Northcoast Surfer, our resident APRC master and shitter. If you wife calls immigration, you patiently explain your side of the story. If they turn you down, then you appeal. No matter what, do not grant your wife a divorce till you get your APRC.

[quote=“sammitysam”]What ??

I should be able to get the APRC anyways because I’ve been here since forever. I don’t get how it could be ruined.[/quote]Alrighty then, let’s say that I’m your wife’s attorney. My job is to ruin your chances of getting the APRC and getting you deported out of Taiwan. Hell hath no fury as a …well you know the rest anyway.

Here’s my course of action I would take to screw you over.

1. First, I would report to the NIA that you married your wife in order to get JFRV status so that you could ultimately apply for an APRC and then divorce her once you marked off the five years required to apply for the APRC.

2. I would make up a bunch of lies about you sleeping around, drinking and beating her, etc. in order to assassinate your character.

3. I would allege that you are guilty of tax evasion from the time you got the JFRV. Because of the open work rights a JFRV holder possesses, you worked a bunch of kindy hours, one on ones, translation services, etc. All the money was under the table and your bank accounts prove it not to mention living beyond the means of your declared income. This can get ugly because I know many JFRV residents who make all kinds of money, but don’t declare it because they have the JFRV. Simple things, too. A friend is in a rock and roll band. He has a JFRV so there’s no restriction to him doing this work. However, he gets paid, earns an income, and never declares one penny. Tax evasion. Usually means nothing, but if the wife is out to destroy you, you can bet that any secrets she knows about you, and we all got 'em, will be used against you to coerce you into doing what she wants you to do.

You see, the main problem for you is that your wife and your marriage is the basis for your current immigration status. If that is called into question as being fraudulent in nature, that could be used against you to deny you an APRC. Were you employed by a company for the past year or two and do you have at least $420,000 of reported income and taxes paid for at least the year 2009? If not, then you need to show at least $5 million in assets consisting of property or cash. Usually you can count your wife’s assets and also her parent’s assets toward your $5 million to qualify for the financial requirements of the APRC. However, if she or her family refuse to cooperate, or if you purchased an apartment together and it’s in her name only, or she was able to convice the NIA that the marriage is a sham perpetrated by you just to gain permanent resident status, you could have difficulties. Do you have any children with her? That could reasonably prove the marriage isn’t a sham.

Conversely, if you were married, but had an employment based ARC and not a JFRV, you would be your own person in your own right with your own reportable annual income and no one could allege that you duped a Taiwanese woman into marriage in order to gain Taiwan permanent residency.

Then there’s racism. If you are from certain designated countries, the NIA might really give you a hassle and give more credence to your wife’s allegations against you than say if you were from the US or Canada or GB.

If you would like some assistance and would prefer not to dump your personal life out into the open, feel free to PM me and I would be more than happy to assist you.

[quote=“Okami”][color=#FF0000]No matter what, do not grant your wife a divorce till you get your APRC[/color][/quote]Absolutely sage advice!

Forever is a very long time to be in Taiwan. How many human years would that actually be?

For now…take a chill pill and relax. Cooler heads will prevail. All is not lost.

We have no kids, I’ve been in Taiwan since 2001, got married in Jan.2004 and seperated Jan.2009.

Most Taiwan officials (foreign affairs police, immigration etc…) like to use an English term ( ‘lovers quarrel’) for these situations, and they rarely let it affect their judgment. They know how psychotic people can be when hearts are broken.

I am sure if you patiently explain your wife’s mindset and what she is trying to do they will see things your way. Especially considering that the paperwork is almost done. The most important thing in Taiwan is that the paperwork is in order, and if this is true in your situation you will probably be able to explain your wife’s behavior to the immigration people and they will help you. Her behavior (fucking with their judgment) might even piss them off a bit.

Bring a native Chinese speaking friend with you to make sure things go as smoothly as possible.

And DO NOT divorce until you get your APRC.

good luck.

[quote=“sammitysam”]We have no kids, I’ve been in Taiwan since 2001, got married in Jan.2004 and separated Jan.2009.[/quote]Whatever you do, don’t shack up with another woman or have a girlfriend type relationship that can be used against you. Even though you have both been separated for over a year, you’re still married and that could work against you in terms of allegations of adultery. Even unfounded allegations of adultery are succesfully used to coerce a spouse into doing whatever the aggrieved spouse wants.

Gotcha…

[quote=“sammitysam”]What ??

I should be able to get the APRC anyways because I’ve been here since forever. I don’t get how it could be ruined.[/quote]

Yes your marriage is not part of the requirement. Meeting the residential and other assts are. And as long as you are married you can count spoues assets too. I got divorced during my citizenship application.

You can also go for that too :smiley:

My Ex thought that divorcing me would stop the citizenship going throuhg hehehehehehe

[quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“sammitysam”]What ??

I should be able to get the APRC anyways because I’ve been here since forever. I don’t get how it could be ruined.[/quote]Yes your marriage is not part of the requirement. Meeting the residential and other assts are. And as long as you are married you can count spoues assets too. I got divorced during my citizenship application.

You can also go for that too :smiley:

My Ex thought that divorcing me would stop the citizenship going throuhg hehehehehehe[/quote]SatTV, you are correct per the letter of the law. However, the NIA are starting to tell some JFRV applicants that in order to get the APRC, they want to interview the wife, too. They actually told a friend I assisted that it was necessary for his wife to be interviewed for his APRC application. I had to intervene and get all rude with the NIA official and demand to see the law requirement, etc. etc. In the end they allowed his application without his wife’s interview and he got his APRC.

I will post my own personal story regarding my naturalization once it’s complete. But I will tantalize you and tell you that I’ve got an APRC, but the NIA demanded that my wife and I allow one of their agents to make a totally unannounced visit to my home to verify that we are actually married and living together as husband and wife as a condition for my naturalization application. They also required that we allow the agent to take pictures of our home when he rudely arrived at 9:45pm on a Sunday night! My home is completly wired for sound and hidden video cameras and I recorded the whole episode. He really comes off as an unprofessional jerk off who was more interested in asking about things unrelated to whether or not our marriage is simply paper! Very unprofessional in his questioning of us. After 20 years, I think most people would believe that my marriage to my wife is genuine and not a sham marriage in order that I could escape my home in Hawaii to live in Taiwan instead! Are you tantalized, yet?

NIA,criminals not following established law and legislating from the bench! :fume:

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”]I will post my own personal story regarding my naturalization once it’s complete. But I will tantalize you and tell you that I’ve got an APRC, but the NIA demanded that my wife and I allow one of their agents to make a totally unannounced visit to my home to verify that we are actually married and living together as husband and wife as a condition for my naturalization application. They also required that we allow the agent to take pictures of our home when he rudely arrived at 9:45pm on a Sunday night! My home is completly wired for sound and hidden video cameras and I recorded the whole episode. He really comes off as an unprofessional jerk off who was more interested in asking about things unrelated to whether or not our marriage is simply paper! Very unprofessional in his questioning of us. After 20 years, I think most people would believe that my marriage to my wife is genuine and not a sham marriage in order that I could escape my home in Hawaii to live in Taiwan instead! Are you tantalized, yet?

NIA,criminals not following established law and legislating from the bench! :fume:[/quote]

Well then I would have made a formal complaint. Nowhere is there any requirement to even be married to apply for Citizenship as others here can attest. So how did they make this demand? Did he show any identification?

Since when are you required to take pictures of your home? I have other friends doing citizenship applications now and they have never had visits from the NIA. Nor has anyone I know who is applying need to show pictures of their home. What would that prove anyways?

Sure because there is no legal requirement about the marriage remaining ongoing. Meet the residential requirement and assets and you can already be separated. Others have done this as well.

[quote=“Satellite TV”]Well then I would have made a formal complaint. Nowhere is there any requirement to even be married to apply for Citizenship as others here can attest. So how did they make this demand? Did he show any identification?[/quote]I haven’t made a formal complaint, yet. I’m just collecting evidence and biding my time in the event I need to use my personally acquired “guanxi”! I also have his full name, his office phone number, and his personal mobile phone number, too! I find it very amusing that I seem to know immigration laws better than the “professional” NIA officers. Basically, I received a phone call from the NIA and they told me that they had received my completed naturalization package and that all they needed to do was complete it by having the required home visit. I asked why and they said it was to confirm that my marriage to my wife was genuine and that we were living together as husband and wife! At this point, I just couldn’t resist allowing this. An actual NIA officer coming to my house to investigate my marriage, my home, and my wife! Oh boy, how exciting. An opportunity to destroy this little shit’s self-esteem and his feeling of self-worth by exposing his incompetence! How could I resist!?! I’ll show you the video sometime…it’s absolutely hillarious!

[quote=“Satellite TV”]Since when are you required to take pictures of your home? I have other friends doing citizenship applications now and they have never had visits from the NIA. Nor has anyone I know who is applying need to show pictures of their home. What would that prove anyways?[/quote]I don’t know. It’s so funny, but I couldn’t resist allowing it to proceed. I’ve got complete video footage of it. The agent wanted to take the following pictures; a picture of my wife and I sitting together in our living room, a picture of my wife and I drinking tea at our dining table, a picture of the matrimonial bed in our bedroom, and finally a picture of my wife and I arm and arm standing outside in front of our home’s main outer wall with the green government address plate. We only allowed him to take pictures that didn’t include my wife or I. He initially told us that we HAD to be in the picture or else it proved nothing. My wife ripped him a new asshole and said, “WTF does having us in the picture prove?! Take your F’ing pictures and GTFO of my house! We’ve been cordial enough!” :roflmao:

NIA Agent “Wimpy Boy” must have given us a passing evaluation because I just received my Candidature Certificate for Naturalization this past Tuesday! :discodance: :bravo:

“Smithers, release the hounds!”

Doesnt the Naturalization Certificate still come from the Ministry of Interior?

I am sure there have been many changes over the years but it sne MOI that processes that part. The NIA might just be passing it along but it is not issued by them and they have no say in the process. Look at the date of issue and see whether that was before your little visit form the NIA official.

I think mine was sent by registered mail I cant remember now it was so long ago.

Still back to the OP, afaik the requirement for his APRC is not based on remaining married. I’d already been separated for years but still legally married with the ex in another country ffs. She wasnt even living in Taiwan when I applied for naturalization. The only thing the MOI said was that hey, you changed your marriage status during your processing.

I replied “yes so I did, what of it” Oh nothing they replied we just need to note the change for records purposes. Citizenship is based on meeting the residential requirements and assets requirements only. NO requirements to be married of course otherwise how would all those single people be able to apply?

To the OP: What’s the ex wife’s motivation for being so nasty?

Once you understand that a bit more, you might know better how to counter with a bit of effectiveness.

My ex. was short on cash and unable to take care of the kids alone. I asked her if she wanted me out of the country, as if I went back, I would likely be unable to pay child support and would be certain not to help her looking after the kids.

After a think, she cooled down a lot.

So - find your leverage and use it.

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“Satellite TV”]Well then I would have made a formal complaint. Nowhere is there any requirement to even be married to apply for Citizenship as others here can attest. So how did they make this demand? Did he show any identification?[/quote]I haven’t made a formal complaint, yet. I’m just collecting evidence and biding my time in the event I need to use my personally acquired “guanxi”! I also have his full name, his office phone number, and his personal mobile phone number, too! I find it very amusing that I seem to know immigration laws better than the “professional” NIA officers. Basically, I received a phone call from the NIA and they told me that they had received my completed naturalization package and that all they needed to do was complete it by having the required home visit. I asked why and they said it was to confirm that my marriage to my wife was genuine and that we were living together as husband and wife! At this point, I just couldn’t resist allowing this. An actual NIA officer coming to my house to investigate my marriage, my home, and my wife! Oh boy, how exciting. An opportunity to destroy this little shit’s self-esteem and his feeling of self-worth by exposing his incompetence! How could I resist!?! I’ll show you the video sometime…it’s absolutely hillarious!

[quote=“Satellite TV”]Since when are you required to take pictures of your home? I have other friends doing citizenship applications now and they have never had visits from the NIA. Nor has anyone I know who is applying need to show pictures of their home. What would that prove anyways?[/quote]I don’t know. It’s so funny, but I couldn’t resist allowing it to proceed. I’ve got complete video footage of it. The agent wanted to take the following pictures; a picture of my wife and I sitting together in our living room, a picture of my wife and I drinking tea at our dining table, a picture of the matrimonial bed in our bedroom, and finally a picture of my wife and I arm and arm standing outside in front of our home’s main outer wall with the green government address plate. We only allowed him to take pictures that didn’t include my wife or I. He initially told us that we HAD to be in the picture or else it proved nothing. My wife ripped him a new asshole and said, “WTF does having us in the picture prove?! Take your F’ing pictures and GTFO of my house! We’ve been cordial enough!” :roflmao:

NIA Agent “Wimpy Boy” must have given us a passing evaluation because I just received my Candidature Certificate for Naturalization this past Tuesday! :discodance: :bravo:

“Smithers, release the hounds!”

[/quote]

NCoaster, are you a US citizen? Reason for asking is this: I am a Taiwanese Cdn working and living in TN at the moment with my Taiwanese, newly minted wife. My company ‘appears’ to be under way to process our green card, but one never knows in this economy.

In any case, I’ve been researching on green cards, etc and I came across a spiel on the US government website stating that if you get citizenship with another country, you may be renounced or stripped of your US citizenship (in another words, you can only choose one)… this does not apply if you are a citizen of another country and applying for US citizenship. In another words… if you’re a US citizen, you may need to give up your US citizenship for the other country’s but if you’ve already had two other country’s citizenship and then apply for US citizenship, that’s ok.

So, if you’re applying for Taiwanese naturalization, will you have to give up US citizenship? Other US citizens in the same boat should chime in here.

Yes he has to give up US nationality. Other forumosan members Cooling Tower and Paogao, both umarried chaps had to to that to become ROC Nationals.

Gove Attache who was a UK Citizen also renounced his UK Natioanilty and I renounced my Australian Citizenship.

Around 10,000 foreingers each year renounce their nationality to become ROC Nationals.

But if your Taiwanese Canadian then one would assume you have ROC Nationality. If not then you’d just be a Canadian. :smiley:

Taiwan doesn’t have green cards so do you mean you are applying for a US Green card?