Divorce in Taiwan (while living in the US)

My wife and I decided to divorce and I live in US and she live in Taiwan. Do I have to go to Taiwan to sign the agreement in person or can I do it by email sign??? Please help

2 Likes

Depends on where you both got married. I divorced recently, and basically I went to an office here together with my wife, we both said we want to divorce, we took the family house booking, my wife her ID and after 10 minutes, she got a new ID, I got a paper in English saying we divorced, and my name out of house family book. The process took less than 30 minutes, and during the time, I just said “YES” when I was asked if I agree to divorce.

In your case, I guess a letter would do that. Ask your current wife to double-check it for you.

1 Like

We got married in Taiwan and now I’m back to US and she is still in Taiwan…if I can sign the agreement without me travel to Taiwan, it would be so much easiler and but both agree with the divorce

1 Like

You can delegate it (submitting the signed divorce paper) to someone with a power of attorney authenticated by TECO.

2 Likes

My wife and I got married in Taiwan Taichung, but I went back to US america and we decided we are not made for each other and we wanna get a divorce. My wife keep telling me I have to fly to Taiwan to sign the agreement paper in person. Anyone please help me, if I can sign the agreement paper without flying over to Taiwan right now and cause COVID…thank you

I guess if you sign on the paper in front of TECO officer and get it notarized, and give your power of attorney to someone in Taiwan, I guess you may be allowed not be there in person. You could ask to the HHR office of your spouse.

1. 有正當理由,經戶政事務所核准,可委託辦理,另附委託書及受委託人國民身分證、簽名(或印章)。
    If there are legitimate reasons, it can be entrusted with the approval of the household registration office, with a power of attorney and a national ID card and signature (or seal) of the entrusted person.

https://www.ris.gov.tw/documents/html/2/3/1/384.html

3 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Not divorce advice