Divorce

I think this is a key thing here… I do wonder…? Are your credit cards, loans, rental property… all under her name?

1 Like

I think HongKonger meant it’s blackmail on her side and I can use it to defend myself

4 Likes

rental property is in her name.
i dont have loans or credit cards.

Can I assume all you guys have been through similar situations?

Yeah, you have to take some of what is said here with a serious grain of salt. People make stuff up all the time and with social media so prevalent, it goes everywhere.

1 Like

I was kind of hoping someone with a bit of legal knowledge might be able to advise.
I don’t want to just go ahead and do something then find out I am actually breaking the law.

After reading your post again, I had a few questions run through my head. Hesitant to ask, but if it may help you and your wife, it is worth the effort.

Without understanding the background of your relationship, it is difficult to get to the root of the problem. Taiwanese women can be very difficult,
and I am sure there are a few here who can attest to that. You left the house to seek refuge. Is she a person you love through good times and bad, and is it a place you want to go back to and reconcile the differences, finding the root causes of the strife at hand? God bless you man.

1 Like

What is your question? If you did not take anything that does not belong to you then you are fine.

2 Likes

Empty threats.

I haven’t.

I haven’t.

I meant she is blackmailing him by threatening to call police unless he agrees not to divorce her.

1 Like

You’re likely not going to find free legal advice on an Internet forum.

I think you have a good case, and it will depend on your seriousness to act, and your willingness to spend some money on a good lawyer.

I often read about people in Taiwan (especially foreigners) lose in court where they should have easily won, due to lack of good legal representation.

I know @Marco keeps a lawyer on retainer, but I don’t know if they specialize in family disputes. They’ve helped other Forumosans in labor disputes in the past.

What legal advice are you looking for?

Can you leave your wife? Yes

Can you get divorced? Yes

Can she file a police report? Yes

Will it go anywhere since you didn’t take what isn’t yours and you have proof that she is making it up to get you back? No

What is the alternative?

You are married forever no matter what

Not legal advice. Common sense though.

2 Likes

Not me.

My wife has put up with me for 30 years.

But, it could all change tomorrow.

But I’ve never been that lucky!

5 Likes

Beers?

1 Like

Asking rando strangers online for help and advice.

At that point, even I’d pull the plug.

How can you rob your own home? lol

This is pure bluff and nonsense. Firstly she cannot just divorce you nor can she force you to leave the country. Both of you have to agree to a divorce. Of course moving out for a long period of time she can accuse you of abandoning the marriage. I think that needs 2 years.

Also would have advised stay on JFRV until you qualify for APRC. I’m not sure if your changing to work permit ARC changes the time required for you. Citizenship is another option.

1 Like

That indeed is some weird shit. :grinning: