DIY plywood sailboat!

i would like to make one of these. maybe get a club together to make these things. maybe make one big enough for two more guys and me and we do the first foriegner sail around taiwan!! i pick josefus and miltown for my crew.

pdracer.com

I posted this on another thread about boats. If you’ve got limited skills, limited workspace/limited storage space, and a limited budget, the Frosty is really the way to go. It’s also an international class, so you could order a sail from any sailmaker anywhere.

[quote]Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English

capecodfrosty.org/

The world’s smallest international one-design racing class: The Cape Cod Frosty. You can build it yourself out of one sheet of luan. Spars and fins are made from 1/2 stock of whatever is wide enough to serve. The mast is 6’ long and made of closet pole or aluminum. Here in Taiwan, bamboo might be a good choice, if class rules allow it. Class rules are pretty generous when it comes to modifications. Dis-assembled It fits in a closet. It has a massive 10-square feet of sail area,:lol: … draws 3’ with daggerboard down and comes in at exactly 6’ LOA (!!) :roflmao:

Point is, a fleet of these things could be built in two weeks with a small number of tools and no special skills whatsoever, and then the
racing could begin!

It’s much slower than a speeding bullet, smaller than an Optimist dinghy, very wet when beating to windward, and it’s one squirrely bugger to jybe or keep upright on a run, especially in a blow. It doesn’t point worth a damn, powers up very slowly, decelerates quickly, makes a hell of a lot of leeway, and it’s awkward to hike out from, but it roll-tacks like a dinghy sailor’s dream. Underway, it looks not unlike a bathtub with a sail.
Bigger boats are a hole in the water which you fill with dead presidents. My Lightning was not only costly, but time consuming to maintain. It was wooden 50’s vintage boat, and I was contantly varnishing and painting. I did a keel replacement on it one year… enjoyable, but very time consuming. My Laser required storage space, but could be cartopped easily enough. At least with the Frosty, the price of admission is low. I’ve built three of these so far. My latest one, in storage back in Vermont, has an awlgrip spray finish, a kevlar sail, a rotating aluminum mast, and a hydraulic vang (it uses a piston from the rear hatch of a vw Golf). The rake of the mast is adjustable, and the outhaul, cunningham, and vang controls all lead into the cockpit. It has a tiller extension, hiking straps, and the cockpit floor has varnished pattern-grade mahogany duckboards. Basically it was a joke side project I started at work one year… I just wanted to see how far the envelope could be pushed. It gets a lot of laughs, and was a fun project. these are the things that the long winter nights in Vermont can lead you to do.[/quote]

OH! Prunella! This one takes the cake. Still sure you want to live in a shipping container, poster? :roflmao: