Do Adult Taekwondo Classes Exist?

Perhaps it’s just me. Or perhaps it’s K-Town. But I can’t find a single taekwondo school that isn’t filled with JUST children. I’m beginning to think tkd dojangs are just another buxiban.

I’ve been looking around for a long time now, and I’m nearly ready to give up. Every taekwondo school I’ve found caters primarily to children. One of the schools tried to insist that I pay a “registration fee” so that I can basically get a free logo-ed sippy cup for water and a dinky cubby, just like all the other children. Then they boast about how Taiwanese are serious and top competitors in the international games, so tell me I have drop over $7000 to buy “required” sparring gear that will protect me from vicious 8 year old sparring partners. If I don’t buy it, I basically have to sit out for half the class that involves sparring. It’s all pretty ridiculous considering how expensive those classes are to begin with and how infrequently I get to go (which is only once or twice a week).

I don’t mind training in the same class with children, but I’m 25 with 10 years of experience in tkd, and I really don’t want to be the oldest student in the class by 10 to 15 years. Are there any schools where there are more adults training in tkd?

I was your age when I got my 2nd degree black belt in Jiayi, and most of my classmates were teenagers, with a couple of older dudes, but not many. Generally speaking, adult men in Taiwan don’t participate in any exercise that requires a raised heart rate or perspiration. I suggest getting in touch with the local WTF (World Taekwondo Federation) office in Kaohsiung. If that doesn’t work, I know there’s one on Zhongshan North Road in Tianmu, I think Section 6. I don’t have the information on me, but you could do a search, or ask a friend to do a search. Good luck!
Edit:
Here you go:
Zhongshan North Road, Section 6, No.456, 5F, Taipei
(02) 2872-0780
taekwondo.org.tw/ :bow:

Most of the “adult” classes are in universities. They compete until they graduate. If they compete after that, they go back to the uni to train. There are next to no commercial MA schools for adults here.

I do Adult Taekwondo at a Martial arts school in Taipei. they have loads of different classes like Karate, Boxing, Sanda, Wrestling, muay Thai…and I’ve never seen kids in there. Let me know if you want more information!

Thanks for the feedback guys! I got much more than I thought I’d receive!

I guess I’ll keep looking around, possibly asking university clubs about training with them.

And if I ever move up to Taipei, micb, maybe I’ll ask you more about your MA school too.

Hey micb,

Could you pass me some information on Taipei clubs for adults wanting to train in Sanda, Muay thai and boxing please? Also looking for a quality Ving Tsun school if you know any.

Cheers,
Di.

Hi all,
I know that this forum is quite old but I’m looking for adult taekwondo classes preferably in the Shida, Daan park area. But of course I’ll travel too if necessary. Anyone?