Do any expats actually love their job in Taiwan?

Also an option. But nearly all of those are teaching English. I’d rather avoid that and do something in my subject area, but I suppose if that is what it takes, that is what it takes. I have also heard that not every public school job is great and it’s luck of the draw. Some schools have toxic administration.

1 Like

I’m not a teacher, but it’s my understanding that a lot of expats here teach part-time, and still get enough hours to make more than enough. One advantage is you get paid hourly for actual time worked.

Might be worth looking into.

5 Likes

I’d love to find that!

Once you get settled in more you’ll come across more and more possibilities.

1 Like

I love my job, not exactly not an English teacher, but teaching English isn’t what takes the majority of my work week.

These days I’m putting in more than 40 hour weeks, but wouldn’t do 100 hour weeks of productive real work. Not sure that I could.

2 Likes

Why word expats is used instead of emigrant?

1 Like

In my case, I have what is called an expat package, including a plane ticket home and housing allowance.

Not expecting to be here permanently at this point, so not emigrant

3 Likes

for taiwan, emigrants are people leaving taiwan.

3 Likes

Pedantic stuff guys

I’ve loved my jobs at public schools to. Problem for me is I’m not a licensed teacher so there isn’t enough job security at public schools for me.

To be honest, it isn’t hard to find a cram school that doesn’t overwork teachers in Taiwan. I’d never want to teach English to kids again, but the great thing about that line of work that I’m jealous of is the amount of free time it gives you. Just find a job elsewhere.

2 Likes

My cram school definitely didn’t over work me. Actually the opposite, it’s the least productive I’ve been as an employee ever.

But in saying that they were underpaying (stealing) my pension for 2 years so my pay back was being unproductive

This is true. But unless you already know someone working there, it is hard to determine which cram school will overwork you and which one will not. Plus the cram school class environment has an exhaustion level much higher than a regular classroom like I am used to.

1 Like

I guess you will just have to apply and see. People say all kinds of things on job ads or posts, probably to weed out the fakes or uncommitted. They do want you to commit to a year after all so might explain why they might not want part timers.

I kinda found this to be the case too, overtime by western standards or unemployed. Seems the only place you could ever work part time (20hrs a week) is 7-11 but then you’re paid exactly 176nt an hour and not a single nt more (and 7-11 is not going to sponsor you for an ARC no matter how nicely you ask). But that overtime by western standard thing seems to be more of a problem if you are salaried, not hourly.

All I can say is don’t renew and look for other schools, perhaps the forum can help you find jobs with better work/life balance.

I get mine by working for myself… beats working for 7-11 with a much higher hourly pay compared to 7-11. If I actually worked 20hrs a week at my work I’d actually do really well and have healthy work life balance.

Emigrant is someone who left Taiwan to live in another country.

But if you’re trying to ask “why expat instead of immigrant”, then there’s another thread about that. You can search for it.

1 Like

Are you in your early 20s? Not to be mean but I was confused at that age too. Anyways, no one actually loves their job 100%. You just find one or create one you can bear. Maybe 99.99% of the time you’ll be happy but there will always be at least .01% BS.

2 Likes

If one is going to teach, eventually getting and having an APRC is key. Then you can take on different part time jobs at various schools, which gives you variety and you don’t get bogged down with school politics or being asked to work overtime. If a school is crappy, you can just drop them on a dime.

4 Likes

This is the way. And it my current goal.

Although that is potentially a 5 year investment of death-by-work, when I might just go to Malaysia or something and get a better quality of life the first year.

4 Likes

Sound like you need to find a new job. There’s no reason to be putting in that many hours of overtime. If you’re a licensed teacher you can definitely find something better.

I work at one of the “international schools” with a less-than-stellar reputation, but I don’t know anyone at the school who works overtime consistently. There’s just no need. A few extra hours around mid-term and final exam time maybe, but most people are 40 and out. I personally haven’t worked a single hour of overtime this school year at all.

Find a better school.

3 Likes

More important question is why Taiwanese English is still so poor? Either foreigners do work poorly or locals don’t take you seriously.

One way or another one hardly enjoy working those jobs. Unless you get involved with people, who actually want to learn.