Do any expats actually love their job in Taiwan?

I’m not sure if OP loves his job, but it just looks like he wants a better work life balance. The problem is when your visa is tied to a single employer indentured servitude is basically what happens. You can’t really just quit without consequence, and as such your employer can basically work you half to death. They know you’re trying to go for APRC they will take advantage of that.

The OP could quit, but I don’t remember what the rules are, like how long do you have to find a new job to carry over your ARC without losing time (as in the time you already spent in Taiwan and not have to start over from the beginning). If it’s possible and the time period is not too harsh, the OP should explore this route. Look for jobs that pays overtime like they’re required. If they paid 1.5x your hourly wage I imagine they are not going to be making you work overtime unless the employer is just extremely generous.

Once the OP gets the APRC use the experience to work part time at schools, or take on private tutoring job that pays better. Then you’ll have very good work life balance.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: From expats

I imagine they do very well on tests. Why else do they learn it? /s

Its poor until you to go to Thailand or Japan and realise then that it could be a lot worse.

5 Likes

I get Japanese students who don’t even know how to say “yes”, “no”, “thank you” and “hello”.
I can hardly speak a word of Japanese, but I can say those things.
They must really live in a bubble.

1 Like

when new in Taiwan, I auditioned for a Saturday morning job. Kids at 8am in school again on Saturday looked glum. The Chinese boss concluded “seems they don’t like you”.

A Chinese boss must blame someone even though hardly any kid wants to waste childhood in school on Saturday mornings.

By auditioning I’d tried to win in an in winnable situation. There are situations where a Chinese boss sets you up to fail then blames you for a situation they created

Loving your job likely depends in part on seeing traps in advance

1 Like

I do like my job, it helps itself working remotely for my employer back in HK, so I have a very large autonomy, as long as I do my stuffs, everyone’s merry and happy.

2 Likes

I’m content with my job. I don’t love it, but I have no issues driving into work tomorrow.

1 Like

It a bubble, but good bubble of great Japan. Maybe you are in the bubble too? It’s cool to speak English, but many rich old Europeans don’t speak it. Simple they couldn’t be bothered. Italians, Germans owners of manufacturing, French millionaires very few of them speak English. Maybe they can say a word or two.

Not very uncommon all around world, not only in Europe

1 Like

I’ve never loved a job anywhere. I’ve had jobs that I’ve hated, and I’ve had jobs that I haven’t hated but to me, a job is just crap that you have to tolerate for a paycheck.

I’d rather be just about anywhere else.

6 Likes

Money is useful. It buys time and freedom. Work provides money. I hate having to go to work, but I hate poverty and the poverty mindset even more. Bring me the money, show me the hoops. I’ll jump.

I don’t like working, but really do my best to get along well with colleagues. I don’t think is worth it, to be rude, pushy cause of paper, which governments print left and right. Very few companies reward hard working attitude. There is a lot of politics involved everywhere.

Generally I would rather cut my expenses than increase my work load. Also I believe is better my kids have a father. My portfolio is there, and once kids grow up, I can compensate with more workload. Demographics will be hard for many companies, they will have to pay more and train workers. While people getting lazier at the same time.

I love my job. I’m an engineer (not TSMC, not International org.) and it’s a great company. I work 40 hours a week. Several hundred employees, and I’m the only “white” foreigner in the company (other foreigners are “wai laos”) and I am aware that I get treated better than my colleagues, but overall there is no pressure to work overtime. If you do, you can clock it and get paid in “banked hours” that you can take off later when work is light (3 consecutive hours of OT actually gets you 4 hours of banked time), although I notice that the locals for some reason feel bad about clocking their OT. I asked one why, and he said that culturally it’s not common to do so. I just feign cultural ignorance and report all my OT, and it gets approved. What I love most about the company though is my manager. Just a nice chill guy. I’ve had bad managers before, and that sucks the joy out of even the best job. It’s a true blessing.

14 Likes

I think it’s ok

3 Likes

It really depends, I met few persons graduated with English major and was suprised when told me about their degree background.

Otherwise yea I agree, it’s very good for that part of world. Was suprised in Hong Kong, it’s not really bilingual, while Singapore is more

1 Like

Given their situation, geographical etc, I think the Taiwanese have done pretty well.

4 Likes

Does anyone actually love their job?

I think so, there are people that choose to do something instead of being forced to do it for the money.
i have 2 friends who are financially independent, they have enough money not to work ever again, but they still work.
they also own their own business, not salaried employees, so perhaps their motivation is different.

1 Like

There are parts of specific positions that I don’t like, and I wish I was paid more. I don’t think that my job is perfect

But I love the work that I do. I am passionate about it, and I am arguably competent. I inject a lot of positivity into people’s lives, I help them, I ask for little in return, and for this I am respected and appreciated. This is a nice feeling.

I have had other jobs doing other things that I loved, but the positions were less advantageous. And I have had other jobs doing similar work, but without the respect.

Either way, in this career, people sometimes approach me days or years later and say how this thing I said or did made their life better, or helped them make other people’s lives better. I love that feeling. Rewarding, my job is.

I can see how some bosses or positions are awful (I just quit), and some career choices not so great (accountants must be bored, seems like a lot of lawyers don’t have much to get excited about, not to mention people who clean toilets). Maybe being a colonoscopy technician is a dream job for a selct few that really like ass.

But I can also see how some people, like pilots or adventure tour guides or museum curators, could love their job

6 Likes

HK is only bilingual in the “important” places, like financial sector, courts, government, police. Everything else is a complete hit or miss.

1 Like