Do Asians have yellow skin?

Do you believe it’s common for Asians to have yellowish looking skin?

• Yes very common
  • Somewhat common
  • I’ve seen it, but it’s not all that common
  • No, I think it’s a completely innacurate description

0 voters

I never understood why Asians are refered to as having yellow skin. Seriously, I don’t believe I’ve ever seen anyone whose skin I would think of as yellow. But of course there’s a long history of refering to Asians – mostly derogatorily – as yellow. In the US, the lowpoint of that term came during the Yellow Peril or Yellow Scare, in the late 1800’s, when whiteys were all scared of losing their jobs to cheap Chinese labor (sound familiar) and the media helped whip up the people’s racism and xenophobia by publishing stuff like this:

So I was a little surprised the other day when my wife told me she had applied makeup (which she doesn’t do very often) so her “skin wouldn’t look so yellow.” As I said, I’ve never thought of anyone’s, even an Asian person’s, skin as yellow, so I told her the same.

I said something like “you look beautiful, but then you always look beautiful and I don’t think your skin looks yellow anyway.” She was pissed.

“I’m sorry,” I said, “I didn’t mean any offense, I just never understood why Asian skin is sometimes referred to as yellow, because I don’t believe it looks yellow at all. . .”

“Just shut up,” she glared. “Just shut up.”

“I said you look beautiful,” I replied. “I said you look beautiful even without makeup.”

“Just shut up,” and it was clear there was nothing more I could say. By mentioning the word yellow and her skin together in the same sentence, regardless of what I had said, I had clearly crossed the line that shall not be crossed. . . even though she was the one who referred to herself as yellow and I denied it.

• Do you think some Asian’s skin looks yellow?

• Have you ever heard an Asian describe him/herself as yellow?

• Isn’t that a little odd given the huge racist history of the term (or are they oblivious to that history)?

Yup. And in Mandarin as well. It’s not derrogatory.

I’m not all together convinced the term originates in anti asian racism.

I would say more gold. Like a good even tan that i can’t ever seem to get.

MrsHill is a kind of dark golden light brown. Tom’s kinda greeny pinky yellow.

You know, THIS is why the interracial relationships happen. They have the skin we lust, we have the skin they lust.
when I was sick I was whitish pink. SO MANY girls came up to me wanting to know how I got my skin like that. I was like “I stayed home for a month”
I would sell my soul to be able to tan as creamy and evenly as my baby’s skin. He’s like a california beach bum without the sun damage.

[quote=“SuchAFob”]You know, THIS is why the interracial relationships happen. They have the skin we lust, we have the skin they lust.
when I was sick I was whitish pink. SO MANY girls came up to me wanting to know how I got my skin like that. I was like “I stayed home for a month”
I would sell my soul to be able to tan as creamy and evenly as my baby’s skin. He’s like a california beach bum without the sun damage.[/quote]

It’s all about the skin. Dammit! I’m through a looking glass, people.

Reasons people have told me they are dating a Taiwanese:

1. Lonely.
  2. Partner has rich family.
  3. Good body.
  4. Will have good body when old.
  5. She jumped on him. (Tom’s case.)
  6. Experience.
  7. Something to do.

See, that’s why mine dates a lao wai.
“Why do you have a foeign gf?”
“She jumped me”
Of course he would never say that!.. I think.
Nope, he wouldn’t. I just asked him and then I had to demonstrate what “jumped” means.

[quote=“SuchAFob”][quote=“TomHill”]
[/quote]

“She jumped me”
Nope, he wouldn’t. I just asked him and then I had to demonstrate what “jumped” means.[/quote]

:ponder: boy I must be in the dark ages then. I thought ‘jumping a guy’ was the quickest way to run them away. So, girls makin’ the first move isn’t bad at all?

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“SuchAFob”][quote=“TomHill”]
[/quote]

“She jumped me”
Nope, he wouldn’t. I just asked him and then I had to demonstrate what “jumped” means.[/quote]

:ponder: boy I must be in the dark ages then. I thought ‘jumping a guy’ was the quickest way to run them away. So, girls makin’ the first move isn’t bad at all?[/quote]

I like being jumped on!

[quote=“Namahottie”]
:ponder: boy I must be in the dark ages then. I thought ‘jumping a guy’ was the quickest way to run them away. So, girls makin’ the first move isn’t bad at all?[/quote]
I think it depends on the man. Mine likes that. My ex (not icky, the one before him) hated it.

[quote=“SuchAFob”][quote=“Namahottie”]
I think it depends on the man. Mine likes that. My ex (not icky, the one before him) hated it.[/quote]

SuchAfob must start “A woman’s guide to male signals” :laughing:

Namahottie wrote [quote]SuchAfob must start “A woman’s guide to male signals”[/quote]

There’s not too much science to it; you just need to get a guy liquored up and show him a bit of cleavage.

I voted ‘No’.

Colour doesn’t interest me nearly as much as texture.

There’s not too much science to it; you just need to get a guy liquored up and show him a bit of cleavage.[/quote]

what if the girl is ‘cleavage challenged?’ what else does she show?

*sorry to go off topic, tom

Well, I don’t date men who drink and I have no boobs to speak of at all.
There goes that theory.
There are no male signals. You put your foot in the water and if it burns, it burns.

This thread should split.

Nama… your booootay :moon: wake up woman !

I have seen asians who look yellow- especailly like vietnamese and other from that area.

If you look at a white persons skin long enough you will see that theres actually a lot of pink tone to it, and with asians the extra tone is more yellow. Theres nothing bad about it, but I think its more obvious on some people than others. For example my dad looks very pink to me and my vietnamese friend from HS would look pretty yellow sometimes…

From HS and UNIV history classes: Early Asian immigrants (and some even today) to the West suffered from illnesses due to crowded living and poor sanitation facilities. Hepatitus B causes jaundice (yellowing) of your skin and eyes. I don’t know the earliest reference to Asian skin as being yellow, in the Western press. I believe the skin color of early immigrants to the West, and probably many of the Asians Westerners saw in Asia many years ago, was yellowish due to illness and the term stuck and was accepted by Asians themselves.
No, I don’t think Asian skin looks yellow at all. And, I don’t buy calling Asian skin a ‘yellow’ as a reference to Huang Di or as a royal color. So, I suspect my teachers were on the right track with ‘yellow’ being used to describe Asian skin color due to jaundice. Would like to hear where the term ‘yellow skin’ was first used in print as that might help us understand this term.

No one with half a brain gives a shit.

Next, please.

On edit: Oops, that comment was meant for an entirely different thread in the D&R forum. Double post in the wrong thread.

In classical Chinese, the word ‘huang2’ means light brown. As in the color of the ‘Yellow’ River (huang2he2). Now the word is conventionally translated as ‘yellow’ but it retains the meaning of light brown. Hence the confusion.