Do bad reviews about employees invite lawsuits?

If I post a review with an employee’s name and/or picture, can I be sued even if the matter is true?

Yes

2 Likes

Interesting. So, if I just describe the situation and the company, can I be sued since cororations are legal persons?

If people feel you insulted or defamed them they can sue you. Corporations? Not sure what you meant with your misspelled word there.

Employee or employer?

I am really wondering what happened to make you want to post an employee’s picture.

Sorry. Corporations.

It’s just for reference.

1 Like

You can be sued. It doesn’t mean they will win. They might. Be sure to read up on the specifics of the law, but know you might be stuck in the court battle in the meantime. Is it really worth it?

3 Likes

You would defend yourself against an accusation of defamation or public insult by saying it’s a fair comment. Why would you need to publish an employee’s name or picture to make that comment? It seems so unnecessary.

There are other threads discussing these things, but if you really want to proceed, talk to a lawyer.

1 Like

Where would you even post such a review? On their LinkedIn profile? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1. I’m not sure where you’d even post it, my simple Google search didn’t yield any workplace reviews, and Glassdoor isn’t all that comprehensive (but then again, Google has gone to :poop: for the last year or 2).

2. If you can leave out the name and likeliness of everybody involved (even if it IS a specific person within the company), I’d highly suggest you do so, and even then, document the hell out of everything or get a few witnesses that are also sick of that person’s BS if you can, although as I’ve noticed through Taiwanese friends and companies in the US that brings over their Asian work culture over, you could have a verbally abusive boss and nobody will think anything unusual of it, while in the US it’s very illegal or at least frowned upon no matter how justified it was, so it’ll be kinda difficult to find someone that’s willing to stand up for their employer.

3. Like others said, even if you were careful in your postings, nothing can stop any employer from taking actions against “defamation”, even if what you’re saying is true to try a last-ditch effort of upholding their reputation, so the worst thing to do is to lie about anything to embellish it, and also make double sure you’re in the clear since if the problem stemmed from you, you could still be held liable in some instances.

ETA (I accidentally hit send before I was done): I’m not a lawyer or even expert in Taiwanese laws; my statement is a combination of generic advice based on hearsay, American labor laws, and whatever follows logic that may still apply.

Glassdoor ffs

Google can delete negative reviews on behalf of businesses. I left a few about a former employer and found out later that not only were they deleted, the school had hired “local guides” to say fantastic (and bullshit/untrue) things about it. So now there’s not just a bunch of paid/fake five star reviews, my very honest and clear about their bs reviews (did not violate terms of use, I checked) are not around for others to see. Glassdoor, on the other hand, does not delete reviews. So there’s that.

1 Like

I think Google Maps reviews are meant for customers of the business, and not employees. That might be why they deleted it.

Oh I reviewed the business. That’s what I mean by I didn’t violate terms of service. If you say “terrible employer” it will be deleted. If you say “this business is terrible for the following very specific reasons” and then you list customer-relevant reasons, the business shouldn’t be able to have that deleted just because “local guides” disputed it.

Maybe they had it removed on the grounds that you were a former employee and therefore not really a “legitimate” customer, and that your review was biased based on your employment experience?

I don’t know how they could have known. I wrote it like I was an angry customer and didn’t say anything that wouldn’t be known by anyone in the community and didn’t use my real name. Meanwhile, these “local guides” wrote a history of the company that no one would know except the owner, who clearly gave them an outline of what to put. Thus, I don’t trust Google reviews.

Isn’t your Google Maps account associated with your Gmail? So it would show your real name right?

Well maybe the employer knew who you were and had it removed?

Sorry, I meant Google going to :poop: in the context of not being able to find a Mandarin employer review site since it just kept showing me American sites, plus other searches in general are becoming less and less relevant.

However, most consumer review sites are easily manipulated; I left a genuine review for a vacation resort for my experience as someone who had no other choice but to do cellular network troubleshooting on the grounds of their resort (there was no publicly accessible area), they treated me like garbage, I left a review, and they somehow were basically able to flag it as “disgruntled employee” on Yelp and TravelAdvisor and Google shadowbanned it (as in if you scroll through their reviews without logging in you won’t find my review)… Unless they decided to buy their own wireless provider (which was testing very horribly), I don’t see how that’s even possible! But Glassdoor? Yeah, that place is pretty much trash and their reply is also probably falsely accusing one employee of burning the place down.

Bottom line, if you have money burning a hole in your pocket and want to visit Alaska, stay away from Stillpoint Lodge.

2 Likes