Do domestic partners qualify for a special entry permit?

My wife and I became domestic partners in Taiwan prior to getting married in the USA. Do we still need to have our marriage certificate validated by a Taiwan embassy in the USA or will the fact that we were already domestic partners in Taiwan qualify me for a special entry permit on her Taiwanese passport?

To my rough understanding since youā€™re married inside Taiwan it shouldnā€™t need to be validated overseas, unless the DP definition in Taiwan was prior to the marriage reform.

Either way youā€™d need to go to TECO to get a special entry permit so best to just go ask them.

1 Like

No, they married in the US. They were just living together in Taiwan.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure what ā€œdomestic partnersā€ mean.

domestic partner

[domestic partner]

NOUN

NORTH AMERICAN

1. a person who is living with another in a close personal and sexual relationship.
1 Like

If your partner has a hukou with your name on it, you may not need a US marriage certificate authenticated at TECO.

1 Like

Hi guys, me (M) and my partner (M) have registered in Luodong Township Household Registration Office as same-sex Civil Partners (åŒę€§ä¼“ä¾¶). I got my Visa/ Special entry permit issued in December before the whole additional restriction came into place. Wondering anyone else was able to enter since with the same circumstances? Iā€™m supposed to be flying in 2 weeks.

2 Likes

it must be treated in the same ways with a registered marriage.

1 Like

Hey everyone, thank you for all the helpful replies. Just to clear things up a bit, we are opposite sex partners who were joined as domestic partners at the Luodong Township Household Registration Office prior to getting married in the USA. Would this be treated differently than same sex partners in regards to receiving a special entry permit?