Do employers ask newly graduates for GPA and transcript?

I’m graduating in 2021 in mechanical engineering, and my GPA is 2.8, I can still finish with a 3.0 depending on how I do these last 2 semesters, but even so, that won’t make up for the bad grades of the last 3 years. I’d like to know whether Taiwanese employers ask for transcript. And how will be perceived my GPA if I know 5 languages and have substantial other skills like CAD, MATLAB, Data Science, and Python programming.

1 Like

I can’t speak for Taiwanese mechanical engineering employers’ feelings about transcripts, but generally a skills-based CV can highlight your languages etc., especially if you have practical experience (e.g. paid/volunteer/personal projects, ‘leadership’ activities) to give as examples of using those skills. If you don’t have a lot of chronological work experience, and you don’t have a great academic record, consider a skills-based CV to highlight what you do have. At the end of the day, I think people want to hire people who can do the job and play well with others.

1 Like

Thanks for your insight, I had a summer internship, couples of academic projects and one volunteering experience. Also, I’m working on earning certifications, before graduation, for most of my skills and languages.

1 Like

How do I make a skill based CV?

I’d like to get a job as a machinist but I have no chronological full time paid work for machining. Just freelance jobs and hobbies. Not really impressive to someone with 30 years of experience machining or CNC masters, but surely it’s gotta be worth something?

If you have no useful skills, this might not work for you. If you also have no relevant training/education, machining might be a poor choice for you. On the other hand, if some of your freelance jobs and hobbies are specifically related to machining, perhaps you have learned something useful there that can outshine your poor academic performance in your machinist training.

I hope your freelance work is successful, because now is a challenging time to be looking for work even for those with relevant education… If you are a new graduate, like the OP, I hope you don’t compete strictly for jobs against people with 30 years more experience (in machining or your freelance work)!

Well I do know machining, just didn’t go to school for it.

I might not know it so well that someone with 30 years would be impressed, but I know my stuff.

Sounds like you’re saying I have no chance.

I’m sorry, but I think we’re not communicating well here. I stand by my direct response to the OP. If you’d like to learn more about skills (and associated CVs), I suggest you start with Google. As for machining specifically, it seems that you know it, and since I do not, I have no opinion on your chance there. Bon chance!

1 Like

Plus I know I can get at least two references attesting to my machining skills. I did machining work for one mech. engineer on this forum.

I can machine to a critical tolerance basically.

To clarify, you are an undergrad? National or
a private university?
Are we talking about GPA 3.0 on the 4.3 or 4.0 scale?

3.0 on a scale of 4.0 may classify you as a potential graduate school candidate. Then it is definitely satisfying for an entry-level position in a company.

Never heard of that here, though from what I’ve heard this is the norm in North America and Europe these days.

True, although employers care less about the actual GPA.

Undergrad, national university, on a 4.0 scale of course.

Ok. Some of the university do use a 4.3 scale.
I’ve heard that it’s not strange for some of the companies to require the transcript. Look it in this way, if the company really weighs the transcript, then they will take a closer look on your fundamental engineering courses, and not general education courses grades = If grades are important to someone, not all grades are created equal.
However, you still have two semesters to go, and prove yourself with tough courses, (usually) more applicable in the field.

3.0 GPA is not perfect, neither is bad.
National university is a plus. Your skills (if presented well) may attenuate any uncertainties employers have about your GPA.

If you’re going for a local company that pays 30-40K for a fresh graduate, you’ll have to go through a training anyways. They don’t have big expectations (experiencewise).

1 Like

It’s fairly standard to be included for people through their initial five years or so of employment, included alongside the scale (i.e. 4.0, 4.3, etc) used. I haven’t seen transcripts requested outside of academia.

1 Like

Most places don’t care all that much unless it’s some elite firm. My application to Goldman Sachs said they require 3.5 above from their applicants for entry level positions out of university.

2 Likes

In the West there are a lot of companies requiring something like 5 years of experience for entry level positions. Or even something as ridiculous as 5 years experience in a very specific platform that hasn’t even existed 5 years ago.