Do foreign Costco cards work in Taiwan?

My Taiwanese Costco card has long since expired and I couldn’t be bothered to renew since I don’t live in Taiwan anymore. But now there’s a Costco in the UK near where I’m based. It says membership cards are valid in the UK outlets and “560 stores worldwide”.

Anyone tried a foreign Costco card in Taiwan? Being able to use a UK card in Taiwan might just about make it worthwhile again.

Thanks.

http://www.costco.com.tw/eng/membership.htm

1 Like

I’ve tried a Taiwanese Costco card in the States, which worked. But they wouldn’t take my Taiwanese Costco Visa card, which was annoying.

Thanks… anyone tried it? (ie the other way around, a foreign Costco card in Taiwan)?

Yep, it was the only place back home I couldn’t use it, lol. They were looking at it like it was going to explode or something. I told them “I been using this thing all over new york” they had to laugh.

I’ve used my Taiwan Cost Co card in Canada as well. No problem. The staff at the Winnipeg store seemed a little bit too excited to see an Asian based Cost Co membership card. :ponder:

I’ve used a US Costco card in Taiwan, no problems.

I’ve also used a Taiwan card internationally with no problems. I’ve often wondered if it would work as a loophole around paying the fees. When I used my card abroad it wouldn’t register, so they just commented, “oh, international card” and manually bypassed the card scanner. International cards won’t read on local systems, so they would (presumably) have no way of knowing if the memberships are expired or not.

Our Taiwan Costco card read just fine on the scanners in the US. They just needed to hit “7/” before swiping the card to let the computer know that it is an international card. We just couldn’t use it at the Costco gas station since there was no way to let the pump know it was international.

Ditto here. Taiwan even accepts Costco cash cards.

Thanks very much for the replies.

Costco have just 2 outlets in the UK and somehow I can’t see the concept working here. But as it seems I can use the card in Taiwan, it kinda makes it worth a look.

i have a costco card from the u.s.a that i use regularly in kaohsiung - no problems and no questions.

[quote=“london-boy”]Thanks very much for the replies.

Costco have just 2 outlets in the UK and somehow I can’t see the concept working here. But as it seems I can use the card in Taiwan, it kinda makes it worth a look.[/quote]

Uhm… Costco has a lot more than two outlets in the UK costco.co.uk/
Also, UK cards work here, until they expire, I had one and it worked just fine for the first 9 months I was here, but once it expired, I had to get a local one.

Has anyone been able to register for Costco Taiwan online using a foreign costco card?

They don’t have the US in the ‘Membership home region’ drop-down menu

Currently they only allow Australia, France, Iceland, Japan, Mexico, South Korea, Spain, and the United Kingdom to register for online shopping

Strangely, if you have a Taiwan membership (but didn’t want the Fubon CC) you could pay online using your US Costco credit card. But that would mean you have to have 2 memberships. Very odd restrictions.

Maybe Costco Taiwan didn’t want to deal with FATCA even though Costco is a U.S. company. No joke - they might need to report the rewards