Through marriage, I got my household registration and Taiwan ID in May. I turned 36 in March. I have an advanced degree. I got a draft registration letter.
- How long is the service? It says on wikipedia that 4 months is only for people born after 1986. I was born before.
- Am I prevented from leaving the country and if so, until 37? Are they going to block my passport or what? Will I be able to get a passport with an national ID number in the meantime?
- What do laowais like me typically have to do?
- Someone told me that the HHR office don’t process new hukou registrations until next year, when I would be 37. Is it true?
- If one chooses the alternative service with 4 years of service in Academia Sinica or something, is there a penalty if you don’t work there for 4 years later?