Do I need my passport to travel within Taiwan (i.e. Penghu)?

OK, I searched the forum on this and got nuthin’. I’m thinking about flying to Penghu for the weekend, however, my passport is not currently in my possession (it’s in L.A. for a China business visa renewal). I have only my ARC, TW health ins. card, and CA driver’s license for ID. Will they let me on the plane without presenting my passport? I know I don’t need it for train travel but I’ve never flown within Taiwan without my passport. Anybody know for sure? My travel agent says “no problem” but (bless her heart) she’s been wrong before…

It’s not like you’re leaving the country. I’ve never had a problem flying in Taiwan with an ARC but no passport – not that I fly here often.

Hello

This is my first post here and since I just got back from a trip to Penghu thought this might be of help - your ARC is all you’ll need to get through the boarding gates.

Have fun.

[quote=“xirtamblue”]Hello

This is my first post here and since I just got back from a trip to Penghu thought this might be of help - your ARC is all you’ll need to get through the boarding gates.

Have fun.[/quote]

Welcome to Forumosa and thanks for the quick response!

Thanks super_lucky. Glad to be of assistance (tipping her hat) :slight_smile:

Coming back from one of the Mazu islands recently, I was specifically asked for my passport. I first provided my ARC, but was asked to provide a passport.

That could be because of the proximity to China? And also Penghu might become that way if there were connections onwards to China as well, but Penghu is much farther from China then Matzu is .

I always only carried my taiwanese drivers license in Taiwan. Good nuff to fly on the island or to penghu, didnt try matzu.

Uh-oh. Y’see, that’s always been my experience coming and going from Matsu and Kinmen. My travel agent swears that I don’t need the passport. Long story short, I made a call to Uni Air and asked (in Chinese and English). The two people I spoke with asked, “Why don’t you have a passport?” Then I talked to a colleague and he said, “ARC only, no problem.” Then I called the info desk at TSA. “That’s a good question,” she said. “Hold on.” This was yesterday afternoon. I don’t know what her answer is since she never got back on the line.

Trip to Penghu this weekend = cancelled.

Uh-oh. Y’see, that’s always been my experience coming and going from Mazu and Kinmen. My travel agent swears that I don’t need the passport. Long story short, I made a call to Uni Air and asked (in Chinese and English). The two people I spoke with asked, “Why don’t you have a passport?” Then I talked to a colleague and he said, “ARC only, no problem.” Then I called the info desk at TSA. “That’s a good question,” she said. “Hold on.” This was yesterday afternoon. I don’t know what her answer is since she never got back on the line.

Trip to Penghu this weekend = cancelled.[/quote]

You only need your ARC. In fact, you can use your health card or other ID. In a real pinch, you can have a Taiwanese citizen vouch for your identity.

Uh-oh. Y’see, that’s always been my experience coming and going from Mazu and Kinmen. My travel agent swears that I don’t need the passport. Long story short, I made a call to Uni Air and asked (in Chinese and English). The two people I spoke with asked, “Why don’t you have a passport?” Then I talked to a colleague and he said, “ARC only, no problem.” Then I called the info desk at TSA. “That’s a good question,” she said. “Hold on.” This was yesterday afternoon. I don’t know what her answer is since she never got back on the line.

Trip to Penghu this weekend = cancelled.[/quote]

Don’t cancel your trip!

I live in Penghu and can absolutely, 100% verify that you don’t need a passport to travel to/from here. I always only use my ARC and have been to the mainland many, many times, flying on all airlines (uni, trans-asia, mandarin). I never carry my passport, and never once have I been asked for anything other than my Taiwanese ID. You need to show this to get your ticket/boarding pass, again at security, and one more time to board the plane - never had any problems whatsoever.