Do I need to submit HES materials in person?

I was speaking with a friend of a friend tonight, and he said that HES materials need to be submitted to the relevant consulate in person. I was under the impression that mailing them in was acceptable. I’ve just arrived in Taipei, but regardless, the nearest TECO from my hometown is in DC, which is not exactly convenient either way.


I think most people are probably asleep now, and I don’t have any firsthand knowledge about this subject, and so far I haven’t been able to find a clear statement about whether those applicants who are required to submit Huayu Enrichment Scholarship application materials (I assume you’re referring to those kinds of materials) to the DC office must submit them in person or whether they can submit them by mail.

The Internet address of the DC office of the Education Division of TECRO appears to be here:

That office appears to have information on the 2019 Huayu Enrichment Scholarship at this Internet address.

The page at the Internet address immediately above doesn’t seem to say specifically whether the materials must be submitted in person, or whether they may be submitted by mail.

That page seems to contain the DC office’s address, e-mail address, and telephone number.

Here’s the phone number on that page: 202 895 1916

Here’s the e-mai1 address on that page:

I hope this helps, or at least does no harm. Hopefully someone will come along and provide satisfactory information.

I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you get the information you need, and that you have a good experience in Taiwan.


What is a HES?

Huayu enrichment scholarship


Six years ago I applied for the HES while living in Taiwan. I mailed my application to the HES service center nearest my “home” (I used a relative’s address) which was the TECO in San Francisco. I just checked their site and it still says to mail in the application, so I would assume it’s the same for all offices.

1 Like