Do I really need a mountain permit just to go hiking?

I live in Taipei and was planning to go hiking next weekend. Maybe Yangmingshan National Park maybe some random, low-key trail on the outskirts of the city. I have a few questions for those of you in the know:

1. Does anyone check to see if you actually have one, and do they fine you if you don’t?
  2. How much is the permit?
  3. Is it a one-time use permit or can I use it to hike anywhere in Taiwan?
  4. Is it easier to go to the local police station or the Ministry of the Interior to buy one (I don’t speak Chinese)?
  5. Do I need to have my passport to buy one?

Thanks for your help in advance.

You don’t need them for Yangmingshan.

I’m pretty sure the permit system is for mountains greater than 3000m. Send a PM to Mucha Man - he’ll know the latest.

cf is correct. You do not need a permit for Yangmingshan or any mountain around the north, though a couple areas you may need to apply for a permit on the spot to get into.

In general, permits are for entry into remote mountain areas, and especially the 3000+ metre mountains. For these you often also need a national park permit as well if the mountain is in a national park (which many of the more popular mountains to climb are).

The north is litterd with trails that require nothing but you. That said, bring plenty (and I mean 3-4l in this weather) water, food, a flashlight, compass, cell phone, raingear, etc, if you are out for a while, and not on a very popular trail.

If you want to know more about trails pick up Taipei Day Trips I and II by Richard Saunders. Lists dozens of trails in great details, including how to get to them by bus. I think you mentioned you have the LP Taiwan, so check that out also for Wulai trails and also Maokong (there’s a map). Maokong, is the southern part of the city, and you can catch the gondola up to it from the end of the MRT. The trails start right across from the Zhinan and Maokong stations and go on for hours. You could walk all the way to Shiding about 10 hours away on trails. Or do various loops. It’s a great place for hiking as the trails are natural. Most of the Yangminshan trails are cement stairs.

Other excellent areas around the north are Pingxi, Sanxia, and the Caoling Historic Trail in Ilan

I’ve done three 3000+m peaks in Taiwan and never have I applied for a permit. Amongst my friends, the number jumps to about ten. None of us have ever come across anyone checking.

I think this is a myth. If not, it’s an un-enforced law.

[quote=“Ecaps”]I’ve done three 3000+m peaks in Taiwan and never have I applied for a permit. Amongst my friends, the number jumps to about ten. None of us have ever come across anyone checking.

I think this is a myth. If not, it’s an un-enforced law.[/quote]

I write about this stuff for a living and have friends who are mountain guides. I have furthermore met will officials at every national park, and the forestry bureau, to discuss the very issue of permits and how foreigners can get them. It’s certainly not a myth, nor is it unenforced for the main peaks. What mountains have you done?

Talk to Barking Deer barking-deer.com if you want to hike one of the higher mountains. Richard knows all about permit availability.

If you’ve not done any hiking in Taiwan before, Yangmingshan is an excellent place to start. Well-maintained trails, and there are always other people around if you get lost and need directions.
Chihsingshan is a good one:
ymsnp.gov.tw/HTML/ENG/04tour … .asp?sn=15

Just a few reminders: check the weather forecast before you go. Don’t hike during a typhoon and/or when heavy rain is expected. Always look out for loose rocks and landslides. Protect yourself against the sun. Don’t venture into unchartered territory, even in Yangmingshan where mist is very common, you could get lost easily. Don’t hike alone.

The permit system is very much enforced especially on popular peaks. I’ve had my permits checked on Yushan, Snow Mountain, Daba, and Nenggao. That said, permits are much less likely to be checked on weekdays and on less popular trails. I would not want to go to all of the effort of preparing a hike just to be turned back at the start. I’ve seen it happen to other people. In general you do not need a permit to hike in the north.

Permits aren’t impossible to get either.

They might just save your ass, too. If you are up in the mountains and a typhoon is about to strike, you may not know about it. The authorities will, and they will make sure they find you…as long as they know you are up there, of course.

“i want to be a dead anarchist. stuff the rules.”

When cruising the mountains, occasionally you are asked to stop at the police bureau and pick up a permit. Just show them your ID and pay 10NT. They fill out a form and you take a copy with you. On the return leg, be sure to stop and drop off your copy so they know you have exited the area. Actually, I think its a reasonable request and a good service. Some of the mountainous areas are pretty remote.

Well, I’m going to assume that He Huan Shan doesn’t count. But I have done Chilai and Yangtou without permits.

I’m not against getting a permit, I just haven’t gotten one before. Perhaps the next time I go out, I should inquire.

Ecaps

Sounds like a good system to me, if I’m expecting to be rescued if I go up and get in trouble.

I’ve hiked (by ‘hiked’, I mean stroll up and down a hill with an i-pod and a backpack full of sammiches and fizzy pop) all over northern Taiwan, but never ‘permit-worthy’ places. There are loads of brilliant places to go, even just by MRT.