Do New York and Taiwan have driver’s license reciprocity?

Does anyone here know if New York and Taiwan have drivers license reciprocity?

If so, do you know what the steps are to obtain a Taiwan drivers license?

Thanks

Do you have a New Jersey license or a New York one? It seems they accept New Jersey but not New York - Perhaps New Jersey has better drivers?

1 Like

It says they accept the Taiwanese license:

7 posts were split to a new topic: Not about drivers licenses

Yes, it means they let you drive with it. BUT only 6 months and cannot convert it.

Yeah, you highlighted the wrong box. The applicable box would be “Convertible to local drivers license” in which it says no. Meaning OP cannot use NY license to get a local license.

They would either have to use IDP with NY license and go to DMV to extend period as others stated, or, take written and driving test here.

1 Like

I have a New York driver’s license. Do you know the date of that PDF you attached? I know it’s been up for a vote and seemingly passed. It just seems like such a pain to have to try and get a Taiwanese license.

The website shows May 2023 as latest editions.

https://www.thb.gov.tw/en/News.aspx?n=878&sms=12831

Might be worth trying to contact them to see if they have updated 2024 list.

2 Likes

It’s the latest as of when I posted it

I’m a little confused about driving in Taiwan with a driver’s license from a US state, say, NY. Will you be able to rent a car and drive in Taiwan with just the DL? Is an IDP required?

I did get an IDP before I came to Taiwan. Fortunately, I was lent a car and didn’t have to rent. While technically you should be ok to drive here I’m not sure if the Taiwan car rentals will rent to you.

I’ll try and ask around and let you know.

1 Like

An IDP is required. Also an IDP is only valid for 30 days from date of entry into Taiwan, To use it for longer you need to go to to the DMV and get it extended for longer use.

From IWS Rent car rental site
https://www.iws.com.tw/eng/notices.html

2 Likes

Thank you. Does the extension need to be done within the first 30 days or any time during your stay as long as the IDP is still valid?

It can be done afterwards but only valid 6 months to one year from when you first arrived, If staying longer you need to get a local Taiwan license. Anyway the DMV can answer all those questions. Bring your passport your US state license and your IDP.

3 Likes

Indeed, here’s the Taipei page on the registration process

Taipei City Motor Vehicles Office-Apply to Register Your International Driving Permit (IDP).

2 Likes