Do not understand the TV system

Can anyone help me?

Will my Taiwan-bought Kolin TV work in Europe?
It does not say anything about dual system operations.

Thanks,

Hector

[quote=“Hector”]Can anyone help me?
Will my Taiwan-bought Kolin TV work in Europe?
It does not say anything about dual system operations.
Thanks,
Hector[/quote]

TV’s made for the Taiwan market are NTSC only. You need a multisystem TV for the European market, the exception being France, as they’ve decided thaty they would go SECAM, just in order not to synch in with the rest of the world.

The worst thing is that TV’s made here don’t even have scart connectors.

You may be able to buy a convertor, but it’s not quite the the same.

The short answer, as Sat TV has said, is “no”.

Guys, would agree with one exception, if it is a digital TV then it should work.

[quote]Guys, would agree with one exception, if it is a digital TV then it should work.[/quote]Really? I didn’t know that.

Don’t ask in a shop either. The people selling the things haven’t a baldy clue what the differences between the systems are. Of course.

If you need dual-system TVs, Hong Kong is the place to go. Then you’d need to worry about voltage differences as Europe and Hong Kong are 220 and Taiwan is 120.

As for digital systems, there’s multiple incompatible versions of those, so you’re out of luck there too.

Just for general information, people selling (and buying) these items in the U.S. don’t realize there are diifferent systems in the world. Almost no one in the U.S. knows there are different regions for DVDs…or there is anything other than 110 current in use (unless it’s for a clothes dryer)…

Not so, I have a digital flat screen, bit it too is multisystem. Thats cause a lot of my DVD’s are in PAL format, and also because many programs on satellites are in PAL. NTSC means never the same colour due to it’s poor quality resolution.

Now you need to buy a Region 1 television for your Region 1 DVDs, and a Region 2 television for your Region 2 DVDs.

Fun isn’t it? I really enjoy paying US$29 for a DVD I can’t watch. Especially as I ****** already own the ****** VHS cassette which I ******* paid

[quote=“hexuan”]Now you need to buy a Region 1 television for your Region 1 DVDs, and a Region 2 television for your Region 2 DVDs.

Fun isn’t it? I really enjoy paying US$29 for a DVD I can’t watch. Especially as I ****** already own the ****** VHS cassette which I ******* paid

Yeah Hexuan what you need is a multi region dvd player and a pal/ntsc tv, that’s all. Somebody was selling one on forumosa not long ago. Unfortunately Taiwan uses the NTSC system. Native Pal tvs support both modes but Taiwan isn’t Pal.

There’s also several DVD Players that will do NTSC->PAL and PAL->NTSC conversions. If you have one of them you can watch PAL DVDs just fine on your Taiwan NTSC TV.

ah ha!! I must dive into my DVD player’s manual tonight.

If my current one doesn’t convert, does anyone know if any the cheapy (i.e. 2000NT variety) DVD players do this?

Just for interest, I recorded in Taiwan a few of the Mid Summer Murders series for my Mum, they play back in black and white on Australian PAL for some reason.

Otherwise its just like sitting in Taiwan watching Chinese adverts and sub titles when I get homesick.

[quote=“Ironman”]Just for interest, I recorded in Taiwan a few of the Mid Summer Murders series for my Mum, they play back in black and white on Australian PAL for some reason.[/quote]Because the colour signal is on a different frequency. (untechnical answer)

for DVD discussions please go here:
[Multi-region DVD Player

Not really. The quality is shocking. My DVD player has this facility and it sucks.

Lads, I was only joking about the DVD region thing. But it does piss me off all this lack of standardisation. Just because the US uses a shite TV system (not to mention shite washing machine machines and worthless 110V leccy supply) I have to suffer…

Makes me laugh all these idiots with their digital plasma HDTVs watching an analogue 525-line NTSC (Never The Same Colour) composite cable signal…

Big Orange Faces… Blobby footballers…

But hopefully we’ll all go digital satellite and not have to use bloody NTSC.

Most of the CRT picture tubes here only have 525 lines and are incapable of rendering 625 lines at all. Nothing. Nada. If you’ve got a Sony Trinitron they can take PAL straight in.

Converters do my head in. Film is shot at 24fps and PAL is 25fps. Bloody NTSC is 30fps (or get this, 29.97fps :loco:). Explosion in a paint factory or flickertastic epileptic fits. Anyone know how that works?

The whole thing is mad. We had to have “dual standard” TVs in Ireland to pick up both BBC and RTE because one was VHF and the other UHF. Then if you plugged a 60Hz box into a 50Hz socket outlet the whole thing would turn into a Christmas tree - I think the electric was 50Hz in Donegal and 60Hz in Sligo or something. Madness. My dad was a telecommunications engineer and ex-merchant-marine radio officer and he was only one in our village with the six years’ training at Marconi & the GPO necessary to buy a television set in those days.

My folks still have the television we all went on a family trip in 1978 to buy (first colour TV you see - big day out - month’s wages - price of a fortnight in Tenerife for 6). All valves. An ITT. Still got more lines on the screen than the 3-year old Toshiba sitting next to me here. Pathetic. :raspberry:

Beautiful sound out of those old valve TVs too - Celestion speaker too.

Hexuan, you have all my support.
All that crappy US stuff sucks!!

One of the more curious strokes of luck in my life was walking by our color tv and spotting a flame inside it that looked like a pilot light in a gas heater. I unplugged and wheeled it outside so it could do its heater impersonations in a non flammable area. Such a stroke of luck to see it when it could have taken my familys life in a midnight fire.

This was one of the first color tv’s in Australia. Aunty won it. Maybe it was a valve job. Rank Arena brand name.