Do people traveling from the USA have to quarantine?

Let’s make it easy. Coming from a country with 2 million cases and 100K deaths to one where there are 0 cases for last 2 months and a max of less than 500 cases.

Take a guess …

7 Likes

20,000 new cases each and every day. But yeah go ahead and relax those social distancing guidelines…

4 Likes

In addition to the 14-days of quarantine follows a 7-day period of “self-health management”. So after 2 weeks of quarantine you still have 1 week of guidelines to follow. For example: you must wear at mask at all times when going out and keep tabs on your health and temperature. It is also discouraged that you use any public transit and only go out as necessary. Since they require you to be masked at all times, that means no dining out.

Given the research on Covid incubation period this 14+7 scheme makes sense and is reasonable enough for incoming travelers.

4 Likes

It’s closer to 100,000 :upside_down_face: See https://covid19-projections.com/us, “Newly Infected” chart.

There is a list of government recommended hotels. Write first and inquiry about food arrangement and amenities like hot water. Bring snacks anyways -except anything with meat which is forbidden due to fears if African swine fever.

Remember it is not only quarantine, safety measures include wearing mask at all times, taking a specific government arranged taxi, filling out forms and downloading a special app for tracking and information, etc.

Control is strict. Stepping out to smoke outside your room for example means a 10 k fine. Going out for a stroll is a million plus making the news.

I recommend older hotels, say in Tianmu or Xindian. Avoid airport hotel and hotels in Ximending.

1 Like

List of quarantine hotels

3 Likes

You cannot share a room with your girlfriend if you stay in a quarantine hotel, so be prepared to shell out ~ $1500 USD (NT3000 x 15* = 45000) each for an average room.

*The 14-day quarantine starts the next day after your arrival, so unless you enter Taiwan just before midnight, you will have to stay at a quarantine hotel for 15 nights.

1 Like

Wow, I’ve never head you can’t share a quarantine room with your partner?

The going rate for a hotel room in Taipei is about $1,300 - $2,000. $3,000 seems excessive. Does that include food?

We arrived in Taipei at 6am. Quarantine didn’t start until the next day

S Hotel has great food.
Quarantine there.

Wego has exercise equipment and hot tubs in rooms.

41pA9aWX8OL

3 Likes

Do they have ceiling mirrors?

1 Like

Of course. You have to see yourself when you’re exercising. Helps maintain good form.

1 Like

Ha, I’ve actually been in that room.

A super-low-effort search on booking.com turned up this place in the Linkou district of New Taipei City. 2 weeks in a massive room with great amenities for USD $1125, seems legit.

1 Like

Are you sure it’s a government designated quarantine hotel?

1 Like

Do you have to stay at a designated quarantine hotel? I was under the impression that you could stay anywhere as long as you don’t leave and you’re not around other people.

Unless you have a residence that you can safely quarantine in, you have to stay at a designated quarantine hotel:
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Bulletin/Detail/CAAwNJQPY2loJdFXzmSFkg?typeid=158

It’s also true that you cannot share a room with your partner at a quarantine hotel.

(I called the government hotline and that’s what I was told.)

3 Likes

My brother came back earlier this month and he had to be quarantined in a hotel for 14 days. He had symptoms that were found in covid patients (he tested negative). But not sure if it’s the same for people without symptoms. They’re really strict on quarantine though, so don’t go anywhere cause they will call you daily.

1 Like

Is it your understanding that a hotel room does not count as a “residence” under this ordinance?

It’s not just my understanding – it’s according to the person I talked to on the government hotline. He said that if I tried to stay at a non-quarantine hotel, I’d cause everyone who comes in contact with me being quarantined, and I will be fined NT$150,000.

When Taiwanese citizens are required to stay at quarantine hotels, which are more expensive than regular hotels, if their homes are deemed unsuitable for quarantine, what makes you think foreigners are exempt?