Is quarantine now 14 + 7 days?

This matches my experience. Was in home quarantine for 14 days, with daily interviews with local police via a phone app. I also received a daily text from the CDC asking me to report my health (I had to respond with one of digits 1-3, with 1 = I’m feeling ok today). In addition, the police called every couple days to check up.

On the 13th day of quarantine (May 13) the police stopped by to confirm that the next day my quarantine period would be up. Nobody mentioned the 7 days of self-health management, not a peep.

However, I continued to get a daily text message from the CDC until May 20. The first day I ignored it, but the text was resent every thirty minutes until I responded. While I didn’t know about the additional 7 days, I just responded every day anyway.

The extra 7 days was no burden. I wore (and wear) a mask whenever I hop in the elevator in my building, so it was no problem. For me the additional 7 days just meant responding to daily texts from CDC.

7 Likes

Can I stay with my family at their house during quarantine?

From the Home Quarantine Notice given to you at TPE airport:

During the period, you should live separately from your family. People who live with you must take appropriate protective measures, including wearing surgical masks, keeping good hygiene habits, and maintaining an appropriate distance (1 meter) as far as possible.

From CDC website (posted May 2):

Such inbound travelers should stay at a quarantine hotel after entry if they live with people 65 years old or older, children 6 years old or under, or persons with chronic diseases (such as cardiovascular diseases, diabetes or lung diseases) or if they don’t have a separate room (including a separate bathroom).

Link: Travelers returning from overseas should notify health officials before returning and stay at quarantine hotels if they live with persons with chronic disease, the elderly or children - Taiwan Centers for Disease Control

2 Likes

Anybody have recommendation on hotel or airbnb to complete the 14-day quarantine? Does the CDC have a list?

I found the Hanns House through the news and they have this page. 2 options of room priced 7500ntd or 8500ntd. Prices is before 1000ntd subsidy. Includes 3 meals. What do you all think?

The school will ask you to observe the 7 days and not send your child to school during that time. Prepare for the wrath of all Taiwanese parents if they found out you broke that rule :grin:

2 Likes

FYI

https://taiwan.taiwanstay.net.tw/covhotel/
防疫旅宿專區

5 Likes

Thank you @tando!

@travis-travels, @bojack, and @ma3xiu1, thanks very much for the replies. It’s good to have this confirmed. On the “wrath of all parents” topic, now we have to figure out a big enough place for the family to stay while not incurring the wrath of the local community – but I’ve started another thread for that.

It’s not clear. I should live separately like i can’t stay with them or like another room. It goes on to mention people I live with should take precautions.

I’m currently doing quarantine in Taipei. If you google “quarantine friendly airbnb taipei” you get some hosts that welcome those doing quarantine. I’m in a 4 bedroom place and am so happy to have this spaciousness when stuck indoors. The host made sure I was traveling alone; he said each person doing quarantine needs their own bathroom. I’m using UberEats for all food. The host picks up my trash when I contact him.

5 Likes

That’s a good point. My wife rented a 2 bedroom place for my quarantine. It was fine, but I was going a little bonkers by the last day. Was a big relief to have it over so I could go outside.

Good luck.

3 Likes

I understand it to mean that you have your own bedroom and bathroom.

I’ve never seen it specified that you cannot go into other rooms at all, like the kitchen, but I assume it should be kept to a minimum. Basically, stay in your room, disinfect common areas like kitchen after use and maintain social distance from family / flatmates and use a mask outside of your private room.

Again, this is just my understanding based on the stuff I’ve seen posted.

2 Likes

Based on tando’s link, the 1000 NTD is a daily subsidy to the operator of the hotel right? And it seems if you do home quarantine you can apply for the subsidy. Hanns House looks nice but for 7500-8500NTD and not being able to take advantage of the rest of the hotel, I’d probably go for one of the cheaper ones on the list say S Hotel is 3800NTD/night no meals or 5000/NTD/night with meals. Most of the options on the link seem quite good if you are OK with a single room. If there is a standalone Airbnb with willing host and say a patio that you can get to without leaving the “house door” area that would be ideal, to get fresh air. Kind of fascinating how Airbnb apparently removed keyword search in 2016, so there are only two places easily Googleable

A blog post with explanation of the quarantine process in Chinese including special taxis, etc.

Seems like a ripoff. Of course, no daily housekeeping. They force you to take their meal plan and if you order ubereats, they’ll hold onto your food until the designated feeding times: 6am, 12pm, 6pm.

Either get a cheaper hotel or get more freedom with an airbnb.

1 Like

I get 4 easily googleable airbnb results right now (I’m in one of them). Agoda Homes has some other options, too. I remember doing a search of all Taipei and scrolling; there were a few places with quarantine in the title. The Belgian couple touring Taiwan also did airbnb; if you contact them via YouTube they’ll give out their host info. Also, one could contact 10 hosts with the same message asking if they’re ok with those doing quarantine. Basically, airbnb is doable. I’m spending about 60 usd/day + 10-15 usd on food. I’ve even been cooking when I want by ordering Carrefour, because sometimes I just want simple stuff like eggs on rice with no additional flavorings.

4 Likes

I will say that Uber Eats basically covers everything you need. I got the Uber Eats Pass for 120NT for 1 month of no-fee delivery (minimum 200NT per order).

Carrefour, RT-Mart, City Super, and other grocery stores are on Eats for delivery too, albeit with limited inventory.

3 Likes

Bojak - Can you confirm the $1000 for the quarantine is per person per day? Thanks!

To answer further my own question in the topic title, the “+7” is basically just being sensible. Wear a mask, as most people seem to be doing anyway. It’s not like you can’t do anything – my wife and daughters had a good week and have enjoyed the rest of their summer in Taiwan.

2 Likes

I just exited TPE and there was zero mention of the additional 7 days of self-monitoring. Unless I just didn’t notice it, it was pretty hectic and I don’t know how to read Chinese.

You’ll get details on the additional 7 days of “Self Health Management” by SMS when you’re nearing the end of your quarantine period.

2 Likes