Do they spike the fruit?

ok, after yet another impossibly sweet bag of fruit, i have to know once and for all: are they slipping sugar into the fruit? the pieces of starfruit i just downed were literally bursting with sweetness. i needed a drink of water to wash it down. i find it really hard to believe any fruit could be that sweet.

is fruit manipulation a common and expected occurrence? is it an open secret that everyone knows but noone talks about?

i’ve had what i consider suspiciously sweet fruit from various stands all over the place. i always buy the precut stuff since i’m a lazy bastard. is whole fruit as sweet?

if anyone has some inside info on this, i’d appreciate it. :slight_smile:

Don’t know, but I do know that when you buy it precut, it would be much easier for them to add some sugar to the bag. Whether they do or not, I don’t know, but I’ve stolen pineapples straight from the fields down south :blush: that were so sweet they made my teeth hurt. I’m pretty sure they hadn’t been doctored.

Also, you know, don’t you, that the pre-cut stuff is often old, bruised, or overripe stock that they’d otherwise have to throw away. Best to buy fresh, I’d say.

i’ll stay away from the pre-cut fruit, though the starfruit i bought yesterday was pretty tasty.

i’ve started a foray into the tomato juice - any ideas on if they spike that stuff with anything?

Yean, they all add sugar… :frowning:

I’m not a fruit eater but i love tomato juice (with or without the vodka) but find it impossible to find it unsweetened. Costco sell Campbell’s tomato juice which is excellent but in HUGE tins (and you have to buy two at a time!!)

Tropical fruit naturally ripened is very sweet. If you eat tropical fruits in a temperate area, i.e. North America or Europe, then you will never experience the true flavour or sweetness of that fruit. The reason is because the fruit is picked before it fully ripens on the tree so it can be packaged and transported a huge distance and then sold at a ridiculous price.

If you buy the fruit in season in a tropical or sub-tropical area then you will find they are truly delicious.