Do we need to slaughter all the dogs to protect us from COVID-19?

Several impounded dogs due to be rescued by a shelter have instead been shot dead by a rural council in NSW under its interpretation of COVID-19 restrictions, alarming animal activists and prompting a government probe.

“OLG has been informed that the council decided to take this course of action to protect its employees and community, including vulnerable Aboriginal populations, from the risk of COVID-19 transmission,” a spokesman from the government agency said.

Looks like cats get the bullet too.

Animals reported infected include:

• Companion animals, including pet cats and dogs and one ferret.
  • Animals in zoos and sanctuaries, including several types of big cats, otters, and non-human primates.
  • Mink on mink farms.
  • Wild white-tailed deer in several U.S. states.

I predicted mass culling of animals a couple of weeks back, because COVID.

First they came for the old people and I did not speak up, because I was not an old person.
Then they came for the children and I did not speak up, because I was not a child.
Then they came for Tibbles and Foofoo, and I did not speak up …

How far does it have to go, I wonder?

4 Likes

I posted about that in one of the other three dozen threads a few days ago.

I wouldn’t personally be surprised if it’s already ended up in some non-human reservoir, waiting to emerge as the zeta variant or COVID-23 or whatever it ends up being called.

1 Like

Eh the animal variant is different from the human, so far. Which is why we must protect animals and get ourselves vaccinated/protected. Interspecies transmission is not that easy.

SARS 1 started in animals. SARS 2 so far is thriving in humans, no massive deaths in pets or so.

As usual, it is a human problem, not an animal one.

I don’t know where you’re getting that from, but it’s simply incorrect. We’re talking about the human virus crossing over into animals, which is already documented.

I looked at our girl dog yesterday and thought about why it is she isn’t required to wear a mask.

Please read carefully why I wrote.

If people are not sick/contagious, then the animals are not sick. The animals getting sick are in direct contact with sick people but are not dying themselves nor are the source of the disease.

Like fleas, the disease has to come from somewhere, in this case, a human. Therefore, culling animals leads to nowhere as they are not the source of the infection.

We have had cases of transmission but so far, aside from the alleged initial cluster in Wuhan -or the mountain bats or the chinchilla farms, whichever- there is no massive threat of infection from animals. Especially in a shelter.

This is more like using DDT instead of alcohol to disinfect your hands.

Dogs should not wear masks, especially in this heat, as they sweat or rather cool themselves through their mouth. BTW if they kiss you there is a minute chance you’ll get some kind of worm, but little chance that will kill you as it is treatable and evident.

I did read carefully what you wrote the first time. I actually read some parts of it a couple of times before commenting, because it seemed quite clueless. The problem is with what you wrote, not my reading of what you wrote.

Here for example: “the animal variant is different from the human, so far.” - what are you actually trying to say here? Because as you’ve expressed it, it makes exactly zero sense. What is “the animal variant”? Are you suggesting that there’s an animal version of SARS-CoV-2 going around simultaneously with the human version? Because that’s what it sounds like.

The distinction here isn’t between an “animal variant” and a human variant. Some species of animals share sufficient homology in specific aspects with other animals, in this case humans, for them to be susceptible to common viruses. Like MERS going from camels to humans, or SARS.

What we’re talking about is the human virus, or one/some of its variants, transferring into certain species of animals, which has already happened. From there the concern is that the animals can act as a reservoir, allowing the virus to mutate and eventually transfer to other animals or back to humans. Whether the animals have visible symptoms or die isn’t too relevant for this.

The animals could eventually become a source of infection - that’s what “reservoir” means.

See here, for example:
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02110-8

Incidentally, I think the main concern in this respect is with livestock, wild herd animals, or rodents rather than pets (because the latter don’t usually live in large populations, of course).

3 Likes

Did I miss mass executions of old people and children? Or how to understand your comment?

And what’s with your choice of words which implies comparing the treatment of old persons and children during COVID to the holocaust?!? First they came ... - Wikipedia

It’s hyperbole. I was referring to the gradual expansion of the circle of blame, while people simultaneously lose sight of what the problem even was in the first place.

3 Likes

Anyone who doesn’t support the immediate extermination of all household pets wants old people to die.

13 Likes

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: From coronavirus

Did you somehow miss Governors Andrew Cuomo and Gretchen Whitler mandating that nursing homes take in infected old people back in March 2020, thus ensuring mass die-offs among the most vulnerable population?

3 Likes

So old people have been culled by the government? Your melodramatics have been bordering on self-parody lately.

1 Like

I did explain the point I was trying to make. “Coming for X” does not necessarily imply killing them.

Although as OliviaLinToo said, they actually did cull the old people in some countries. The UK did the same thing she mentioned back there re. the US. The vast majority of the deaths in the first wave were sick old people who had been ejected from hospital. They probably would have died regardless - because they were sick and old - but most of them (supposedly) ended up dying of COVID.

1 Like

Mosquitoes. Malaria. People have a long history of killing host species. I am keen on watching hiw the crazy ultra vaccine side handles killing their pets. Bith sides have passed logical rationale, guess its time to start snuffing fluffy and watching the suoer woke squirm while the super preppers squirm facing all their shit.

Haha, i wonder how often people stop, take a step back, and just think in peace about things these days.

1 Like

It’s a passage that is very commonly referenced for a lot of situations.

1 Like

Also known as lying.

I think it would take a very zen/Buddhist approach to advocate in favor of not killing mosquitoes…

Comparing that to culling non carriers…or rather, we did not put malaria in mosquitoes knowingly.