Do you avoid schools with frequent job posts?

I was interested in applying to this job, but I saw that they have made the same post every 3-4 months up till now.

It’s not a big chain school, so I don’t think there would be a reason to be constantly hiring.

Am I doing the right thing by not applying?

If it’s in a big city location then I’d avoid

Smaller town/area then I’d go to an interview and try and judge things

3 Likes

“Use the force Luke” you’re on the right track. Any business that is constantly hiring has usually one of two things going on. Either business is amazing, they’re growing, and constantly hiring, or…you guessed it…there’s rot that starts from the top and seeps down. Two other factors that play a role here are, it’s a cram school and this is Taiwan. So, it doesn’t take a genius to put two and two together here.

2 Likes

But, that doesn’t mean you can’t benefit from the chaotic, disorganized, stupid, illogical, childish way they run their business. If you do go for an interview, you’ll have to be very firm about what you want, are willing to do, and the pay. And, it has to be on paper. I sort of did this with the one cram school I worked at and I made it work for me. But, I suspect that this happened because when they interviewed me it was about a week before the beginning of the semester and they were desperate. As a result I was able to set certain terms down that they had to adhere to. That said, they were still stupid, chaotic, childish, etc etc but I could just ignore most of it because as long as I did my job, there was not much they could bother me with.

It might be worthwhile going on an interview just for the sake of seeing what they say. There’s a lot you can learn from it and you can practice your “I don’t give a shit” look because there are a dozen or more other schools hiring in the area if they try and bullshit you. Practice makes perfect!

3 Likes

I think some of those big schools just place their adds and pay for one year repeat ; regardless if they have vacancies. They then have a big pool of human resource that they check on every late August, or for subs if s teacher quits mid semester.
Those kind of schools are not likely looking for long term teachers; a year or maybe two max is probably what they hope for.

2 Likes

I’ve had to post a help wanted ad many times because the people I hired flaked out. We also live far from where most foreigners live. People love working for me but I don’t like it when the teacher consistently shows up late.

5 Likes

I managed a cram school for a couple of years, every single Saturday morning we would get many no shows due to Friday night drinking.

2 Likes

Or girlfriend is accident prone on her scooter. My wife managed a school for many years and hired some dipshit whose trips to the emergency room seemed a little made up.

2 Likes

where do most foreigners live