Do you eat sushi the Japanese way or Taiwanese way

I thought that was a Chinese superstition.

Itā€™s taboo in Japan.

I see it being done quite often here in Taiwan though. :thinking:

Guy

1 Like

Really? I ask my students about chopstick etiquette, and even the stupid ones go ā€œno-noā€ when I show them a powerpoint with chopsticks standing up in a bowl of rice.

Yes, really.

Guy

Iā€™ll take your word for it, because I like you. :heart:

1 Like

Fries cooked with vegetable oil (olive oil is best) donā€™t have cholesterol. Itā€™s an animal fat.

Triglycerides are an issue too.

What is the problem with animal fat and cholesterol?

stroke

Chop sticks is fine!, just many people do use hands in Japan and and not so many in Taiwan. Survey numbers for hand a bit higher than I expected.

I found the link of the story that made think of differences that my Fukuoka relatives told me about, about some Taiwanese going to a ramen shop and not aware of local customs (the shops maybe)

3 Likes

I tend to eat with my hands in nice sushi bars, maybe during an omakase dinner.

I use chopsticks at all kaiten-zushi or with sushi platter, it is easier since they are all compact together.

2 Likes

In Vancouver, I have seen Taiwanese at a ramen shop actively moving tables and chairs around to suit their group. The Japanese boss was not happy at all!

Guy

1 Like

There really should be lawsuits about false advertising with wasabi. horse radish dyed green is perfectly fine, just be honest. why is the world totally OK selling A as B I wonder? This is normally illegal.

1 Like

One of those things. they do that here and in japan too haha.

my way of thinking is that no one is truly angry if you use utensils at a finger food event. But everyone is angry if you use fingers at a utensils event. better to play it safe rather than just take chairs without asking and make the shop your own :pleading_face:

1 Like

They were acting exactly as if they were in Taiwan. The outcome was not very pleasant! Hopefully some lesson learned there.

Guy

Hehe, I bet. but I wonder if it was the japanese culture or the canadian culture that was shocked at the level of entitlement? :joy:

It was definitely the Japanese owner of that ramen shop that reasserted order.

As a Canadian ramen lover, I was just a witness to this incident. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

Has anyone ever been fed Indian chaat? Doesnā€™t chaat literally mean lick your fingers? I was told in Japan by a Japanese person that sushi should be eaten with our hands as its intended to be finger food. In Dallas at an Indian supermarket snack bar, a coworker from India fed me pani puri by hand. I was a little apprehensive but also glad to experience my friendā€™s culture. She said it is a way to show care for each other with kindness and trust.
When I think about it, Iā€™m reminded of times here where people here put things on my plate. It is a socially acceptable way to take care of others.
I am also very rarely sick.

2 Likes

Some animal fat here:

Can you post a tl;dr?

Or in this case, a ā€œtl;dwā€.