Do you feel offended by the words laowai and adoua?

25 posts were split to a new topic: Racism in Japan

It’s frustrating when for most people one aspect of who you are defines your entire existence. I just saw the episode of J.J. McCullough complaining about being introduced as a LGBTQ+ youtuber because while that statement is technically true, his channel has little to do with LGBTQ+ issues. I guess that’s also what’s so annoying about being referred to as your ethnic group or “not our ethnic group”, which essentially is what waiguoren and a-tok-á mean. Being defined by that one aspect of your life by nearly everyone.

3 Likes

That gran has class. It’s never happened to me. Every time a kid points at me the parents don’t say shit, they are just like ‘yeh, thats right kid, thats a wai guo ren alright, point away’.

I used to think Taiwan didn’t have the same ‘pointing is rude’ culture, then I remembered that pointing at the moon is rude, so, depends on your status I guess.

from Imgflip Meme Generator

6 Likes

I googled him and he does emphasise his sexuality.

His first YouTube is about being gay. Apparently it’s annoying.

JJ McCullough has a really annoying presentation style.

I like his flag series, less so his political stuff. He has ROC flag and a Tsai Ing-wen doll behind him, which I think it was revealed a forumosan sent him.

2 Likes

They refrain from pointing at the moon not because it’s rude, but because the moon will cut their ears off. Now you know how to stop the pointing.

3 Likes

Enjoy the celebrity status of being called “old foreigner”, “big nose”, or “black person”. They are all terms of endearment in the culture.

2 Likes

I myself embrace 老外 because I hear plenty of Taiwanese call their friends 老X as a term of endearment.

I’m still coming to terms with adogah.

1 Like

A-X-á or A-X-ê is just the Taiwanese version of 小X.

1 Like

Bottom line is that we all bleed red. Blessed to travel to Formosa, you can call me anything you want and I will never be offended, only thankful for the experience of travel and culture.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Is that an original Salvador Dali hiding behind the red cloth? :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Yep. It’s just different, which is why a lot of us travel, right?

Eh. I’m half and half, and family has called me adogah since I was a baby with a cute little button nose. Just the way it goes. @tommy525 , your family call you any whitey names?

Well yes because I don’t have a Chinese name

Well I do but I can’t read it or write it

So essentially no

Nope. It is rude, because the moon is a god, or there is a good on the moon (i’m not sure which, my teacher didn’t clarify.). Our foreigner status is much lower, so pointing at us ain’t no big deal. All of this is from my teacher who also enlightened me that it isn’t just your ears at risk from being cut up if you point at the moon.

I get very annoyed if while I’m doing something somebody starts doing the waoguo/laowai thing because I’m a customer paying you money, keep your ignorant shit to yourself and serve me respectfully.

1 Like

Is the moon itself a deity? Yes. Are there also other deities who live on the moon? Yes. You’ve got Chang’e (嫦娥), Wu Gang (吳剛), and the Jade Bunny Yutu (玉兔).

Is that why you don’t point at the moon? No. It’s because the moon will f-ing cut you.

1 Like

What they gonna do if 6 ‘waiguoren’ order coffee?

2 Likes

I go to Starbucks they write my Chinese name on there. For some people who have lived here for a long time and still cannot speak Chinese maybe staff cannot be bothered to ask your name.

2 Likes