Do you have an "official" Chinese name? [poll and discussion]

I had a student whose complete Chinese name consisted of a total of 13 strokes. Mine = 38 total strokes.

35 for me.

Could be worse! I could be a 蕭.

2 Likes

This would be ā€œgreatā€ name: å€Ŗå„½ę£’

2 Likes

Not as great as your original name, Keoni! You share the same name as a beloved renowned notorious journalist writer bloke here in Tawan! :laughing:

3 Likes

Was told by immigration in Kaohsiung once a Chinese name adopted by a foreigner means nothing even though it was on my ARCā€¦Then looked on the back of my wifeā€™s ID card, and behold my Chinese name is on it with no English. So, I guess my wifeā€™s ID card has some meaningless Chinese characters thrown on then?

As far as I can tell, it means a helluva lot more than you may have initially been led to believe.

For me, the following all use my Chinese name: some bank accounts/credit card, Masters/Doctoral diplomas and transcripts, MOE professor certificate, drivers license, lease agreement, work permit and contract, some health documents, local online retailer accounts ā€¦

Mine has 45 strokesā€¦

1 Like

Mine was the standard translation of my first name and the first syllable of my last name that happens to be a common Chinese Surname. My name is a Biblical name that some Chinese may use.
Itā€™s common enough that they know my English name even before I tell them.
I believe my name like my childrenā€™s names had the added stamp of approval from the shell throwing at the temple, the village fortune teller and the Chinese almanac.

1 Like

My friends kid has 5

1 Like

My Italian name already has an official translation.

馬åÆ.

Taiwanese are always bewildered when I tell them I donā€™t have an English name.

Last name censored.

4 Likes

I donā€™t understand why they like to use ke not kou, which seems to be closer to the co in the name

How about 馬口 (Horse Mouth)? :horse:

1 Like

because in Middle Chinese, which was the language first used to translate the Bible, åÆ is read as khĆ³o (IPA: kŹ°É”)

Most translation of Biblical names that doesnā€™t seem to make sense would make perfect sense if you read them in Latin and Middle Chinese of any kind, such as Taigi or Cantonese.

4 Likes

I guess then you guys can finally say straight from the horseā€™s mouth :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

1 Like

I voted yes by choice. The only time I was told that I absolutely needed a Chinese name chop was for registering my scooter ownership (both second hand then later when I bought a new one). It might be different now.

Local friends helped me choose mine. I told them I wanted something that didnā€™t sound foreign, e.g. å²č’‚å¤«, but I wanted it to sound as close to my English name as was feasible. They provided several options and in the end I went with the characters with the least strokes, so my full Chinese name has 18 strokes in total.

2 Likes

If Steve is transcribed into Taigi, åøēŸ„ę­¦ (Si ti-bĆŗ) looks like a good choice.

2 Likes

Middle Chinese? äø­ę–‡ļ¼Ÿ

Interesting, couldnā€™t care less though. Ha ha. Cause we donā€™t use Middle Chinese here and now, do we?

I use Taigi all the time.

Middle Chinese/Classical Chinese is äø­å¤ę¼¢čŖž or ē¶“å…øę¼¢čŖž, btw.

We have a Taigi Corner.

1 Like

I have a name given to me by my first-year Mandarin teacher, years ago. I use it here because I think itā€™s neat and itā€™s not like I can introduce myself using it in the west. So I suppose itā€™s by choice, but if I didnā€™t already have one then I might have been forced to use a transliteration or otherwise choose a name. I also have a different name in Taigi since apparently pronouncing the characters in Taigi sounds weird/possibly dirty, but my teacher wonā€™t tell me what it sounds likeā€¦

1 Like