Do You Know This Guy?

Well, I know who you are. :laughing:

I just wish people were warmer, like they probably are back in their own countries. It seems as soon as they set foot in Taiwan they clam up and put a 5 mile exclusion zone around themselves.

Wierd.

Back to the original topic, I think I’m pretty much one of those Taiwanese Jedis.

I’ve only been here for a couple of years, but I think I understand Taiwan on so many different levels and to such nuanced degrees, that I know more about this place than even most of the Taiwanese themselves.

To begin with…

This place is full of mush brain culture, where locals are so materialistic and driven only by external rewards. Every Taiwanese person I know makes unfair and bigoted assumptions about foreigners. Women here only like cute things and they always try to use you for free English lessons, but damn they’re so cute, at least more so than those Western cows, and hey, I must have a bigger dick than every local guy, right? Somebody told me that there is no individual thinking and the culture here is unable to produce anything original. The food here sucks; do you know how hard it is to find a decent Caesar salad here? I don’t understand why people speak Taiwanese here, because it’s so much harder for me to understand. People here are so rude on the road that the only way to teach them any manners is to get them into a full nelson and pound their face into the pavement. The police here are worthless scum. I think you shouldn’t bother with finding a legal school to teach it, since it’s such a hassle to get an ARC. I don’t understand why the Taiwanese are so superstitious; all those temples and ghost months are stupid. I really think that Taiwan is too Westernized. I mean, do you see all of those Starbucks around town? Though I haven’t left Taibei except for a couple of trips down to Kending, I’m pretty sure that Sanchong is by far the worst place on the island. I don’t understand why anyone would support the pan-blues; don’t they realize the KMT is trying to reclaim their authoritarian grip on the island while simultaneously surrendering all of their power to lick the boots of their Beijing masters?

I know it must be difficult for some of you p*ssy-whipped Taiwan sympathizers to cope with the fact that I understand this place on so many more levels than you do, but just deal with it, alright? Anyone have any questions?

[quote=“alidarbac”]

This place is full of mush brain culture, where locals are so materialistic and driven only by external rewards. Every Taiwanese person I know makes unfair and bigoted assumptions about foreigners. Women here only like cute things and they always try to use you for free English lessons, but damn they’re so cute, at least more so than those Western cows, and hey, I must have a bigger dick than every local guy, right? Somebody told me that there is no individual thinking and the culture here is unable to produce anything original. The food here sucks; do you know how hard it is to find a decent Caesar salad here? I don’t understand why people speak Taiwanese here, because it’s so much harder for me to understand. People here are so rude on the road that the only way to teach them any manners is to get them into a full nelson and pound their face into the pavement. The police here are worthless scum. I think you shouldn’t bother with finding a legal school to teach it, since it’s such a hassle to get an ARC. I don’t understand why the Taiwanese are so superstitious; all those temples and ghost months are stupid. I really think that Taiwan is too Westernized. I mean, do you see all of those Starbucks around town? Though I haven’t left Taibei except for a couple of trips down to Kending, I’m pretty sure that Sanchong is by far the worst place on the island. I don’t understand why anyone would support the pan-blues; don’t they realize the KMT is trying to reclaim their authoritarian grip on the island while simultaneously surrendering all of their power to lick the boots of their Beijing masters?

I know it must be difficult for some of you p*ssy-whipped Taiwan sympathizers to cope with the fact that I understand this place on so many more levels than you do, but just deal with it, alright? Anyone have any questions?[/quote]

We talk the same language.

Indeed, I always try at least a nod of recognition, a smile which might on some days look more like a grimace, and a “How’s it going…” or ‘Howyadoin…’. Most reciprocate, about a third stick up their noses and blob on by. People like this are seen all over the globe, at any place, at any time. The common theme amongst them is that they are grossly unhappy with themselves, wherever they are.

Hey! Not all of us crome-domers are rude :smiley:
Unless it’s due to caffeine, or lack of the required daily intake thereof. :tic: :yinyang:
At least for TheMingerGan, at any rate.
That fiend!

[quote=“alidarbac”]Back to the original topic, I think I’m pretty much one of those Taiwanese Jedis.

I’ve only been here for a couple of years, but I think I understand Taiwan on so many different levels and to such nuanced degrees, that I know more about this place than even most of the Taiwanese themselves.

To begin with…

I know it must be difficult for some of you p*ssy-whipped Taiwan sympathizers to cope with the fact that I understand this place on so many more levels than you do, but just deal with it, alright? Anyone have any questions?[/quote]

:laughing: :bravo: That could be a classic. Thanks for the chuckles!

Bodo

Back to the original topic, I think I’m pretty much one of those Taiwanese Jedis.

To begin with…

Yea man… I dont know of any origional artists or musicians here, I did back in the states, but here people not only imitate everything they do a piss poor job of doing it! Trying to find anything that has to do with rock and roll has left me bitterly empty handed, and people are like clones here. I dont care about politics and I hate ghost months because its so dammed noisy everyday, cant even have some peace or whatever cause of stupid religious activities. Plus people drive like crazy here, like I have to write a will everytime I walk the street because I might not make it back alive! And finally the kids here I dont know what their parents feed them everyday, but they obey their parents like robots. If their parents say go commit suicide they do it, unquestionably. Plus the parents do not always have their kid’s best welfare in mind (even though they say so) because the kid is just a retirement plan for them anyways, even if the parent is rich and the kid is struggling to make enough for himself and family, he still unquestionably gives 10,000 (out of 30,000) a month to their parents. :loco:

Bollocks. I’ve been in a fairly successful original band here of which I have written music for and had CD’s released. I’ve been involved with several others.
If you look underground you’ll see plenty of very original artists. Unfortunately, just like in the west, the music industry is at fault because it dictates what the masses should listen to.

You obviously aren’t looking hard enough.

(unless you’re being sarcastic. of course).

Whoa the dangers of irony!

Guys I think I am living in a different country to you all. Seriously. I smile and acknowledge anyone who makes eye contact with me whether that be cute local girls, the weird guy chewing betel nuts or a foreigner or two. Occasionally I will stand in an elevator with a fellow whitey and we don’t speak but that is also the case in the UK. I rarely stop and speak to people in the street unless they are obviously in need of help, or they approach me first…but again that is no different to back home.

I’ll say again, I love Taiwanese food, culture, weather, and even traffic (relative lack thereof). If you all have so much trouble dealing with it…leave. :lo:

The post was a bit tongue and cheek and I’m glad most of you got that but I have to agree with whoever said the bars are where you meet the really strange mofos. To be honest, a couple of my best foreign friends here I met just randomly on the street. I think once you let your guard down and let me people know you’re not a freak you can bond pretty quick.

[quote=“Buttercup”]Depends when it is. If you see some bad tempered white girl stomping along with a triple espresso, emitting poisonous hate vibes near 101, it’ll be me on my way to work. I’m an equal opportunities hater. Any race can get the fuck out of my way.

But at other times, I’m lovely.[/quote]
Same girl with a latte might be me.
Especially if the latte has not yet been started. Halfway through and I might not look so angry.

[quote=“alidarbac”]

A secret decoder ring you have? Only then a master you will be.

This is so true!

I noticed that they would either change direction, ‘look busy’ or just stare straight through me. Mixed in was even some irritation at times… Perhaps I was intruding on their own personal asian adventure and it was ruining their experience… or something.[/quote]

Sorry, guys. Maybe it was me.
If I don’t know you, then I don’t accost you. I used to feel that “we’re-both-foreigners” bond when I first got to Taiwan, but after almost 10 years, I’m very equal-opportunity about complete strangers - local or foreigner - especially since I live in Taipei.
So, sorry if that comes off as cold-shouldered. It’s not that I don’t care, it’s just that I don’t notice any bond anymore with total foreign strangers.
Next time I pass a foreigner on the street, I’ll make a concerted effort to remember to say something like “ET phone home” or something.

[quote=“sandman”]
You probably ran into me. My in-laws live in Wuqi and I’m occasionally forced to spend small amounts of time there. I don’t remember ever seeing a white face there but if I did I’d almost certainly avoid it, as it would have to belong to some kind of weirdo – no-one else would live in Wuqi. Would they? :astonished: :wink:[/quote]

Hey Sandman :slight_smile:

You are one of my favorite posters on here, would love to catch up and get the sandman experience in real life :wink:

Actually I had no problem in Taichung, but I am a goofy guy and generally walk around with a big grin on my face. It was easy to meet people and practise my limited chinese everywhere that I went. It was Taipei where I experienced ‘lien hen cho’ ? (face smells bad) sorry for my bad pinyin or whatever it is…

Wu Qi is certainly a dump, but it was my home base so it kind of grew on me… If I end up finding work next month one of my first goals will be to get my own apartment somewhere closer to the city :slight_smile:

I work in a business district here in Taipei, so I see a lot of foreigners, everyday. I have yet to find one who would say hello to me, sometimes i say hello but some go as far as ignoring me, I think they are mainly business travellers and I guess they couldn’t be bothered, which is fine by me.
I said hi to an indian fellow yesterday, he smiled and said hi, I was happy.
The world would be a better place if we acknowledge each other’s presence more often, me think.

It’s funny that we have this thread because today, while browsing in a large motorcycle parts store in Taipei, one of the shop assistants grabbed hold of my arm and drew me towards the information desk.
There I found a foreigner in distress who couldn’t speak Chinese. The assistant asked me to translate what they were saying into Chinese for her.
The female foreigner ignored my presence totally and didn’t even give me eye contact except to clarify a statement. She then buggered off without so much as a thank you, although she did manage to utter a Hsieh Hsieh to the shop assistants.

I don’t know why I bother sometimes.

So, if you are reading this thread, young lady, you’re very welcome.

She was probably overcome by your brooding good looks.

[quote=“Dangermouse”]It’s funny that we have this thread because today, while browsing in a large motorcycle parts store in Taipei, one of the shop assistants grabbed hold of my arm and drew me towards the information desk.
There I found a foreigner in distress who couldn’t speak Chinese. The assistant asked me to translate what they were saying into Chinese for her.
The female foreigner ignored my presence totally and didn’t even give me eye contact except to clarify a statement. She then buggered off without so much as a thank you, although she did manage to utter a Hsieh Hsieh to the shop assistants.

I don’t know why I bother sometimes.

So, if you are reading this thread, young lady, you’re very welcome.[/quote]

mate… that would have made my blood boil :fume:

I had a similar experience once when a fat waigouren bint was barking “pearl milk tea… pearl milk tea!” at a confused tea shop woman. Our heavy friend had that look in her eye of “Oh they are like children really aren’t they?” when she glanced at me. I corrected her pronounciation of “pearl milk tea” to “Jenju nai cha” and got no thanks… Well all I can say is… Love, quit stomping around like its the 19th Century and don’t bend down… we will lose a day of sunlight.

I’ve been down the same road as Dangermouse and Funk500. Now when I see a foreigner having a minor meltdown yelling English at the service employee I don’t even bother. My GF will beg me to help them translate but I told her they’ll just despise me more for trying to help them. I couldn’t explain to her why because I really don’t know why myself. I mean if I was in a country that I didn’t speak the language I would be thrilled if another foreigner helped me out.

I think you guys just must be scary looking or something. Just the other day when I was in 7-11 I came across a white dude who was trying to buy some snacks and drinks using RMB, and couldn’t figure out why the cashier wouldn’t accept his money. I explained about the difference between RMB and NT, and since he didn’t have any NT on him, I offered to pay for him. Although he was slightly embarrassed, he graciously accepted. I’ve come across some grumpy, antisocial foreigners too on ocassion, but I’m not going to let that effect me. I’ll continue to smile at strangers, Taiwanese and foreigners alike, and if they don’t like it that’s too damn bad! :slight_smile:

Hehehe… why is it that the common reaction by someone not being understood, is usually to repeat the key words louder and louder until they are understood… like volume will make a difference to the language barrier… makes me chuckle everytime. :laughing: