Do you really need 6 months validity on your ARC to get a scooter licence?

As the title says.

Can’t find much information online as my Chinese sucks, but I’ve heard you need 6 months.

Thanks.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure you do, yes:

https://www.mvdis.gov.tw/m3-emv-eng/public_en/roadTestEn

When I took the test (a while ago, though), I remember a funny requirement that I had to have been in Taiwan for at least 365 days before being eligible for the test. This on top of the ARC requirement that the OP mentions. The officer literally took my passport and started counting the days based on the entry/exit stamps.

It might be another of the countless nonsensical rules randomly created by one officer in one location on one specific day (I was younger and naïve back then), but worth checking.

Not sure about the 6 months part. But I was able to get license last year without needing to have already been in taiwan for a certain period. Also only needed to show ARC, no passport. So I’m guessing that part isn’t standard (at least anymore).

1 Like

I got my license last fall, hadn’t been here 365 days. I never saw this during my preparation and it wasn’t an issue. I took the driving test in 3 different locations (failed first two) and nobody brought this up.

Yeah, I think the ARC was enough

1 Like

I know this is an old thread, but does getting your motorcycle license in the US help with anything? I know that my car license is reciprocal for Taiwan, but I’m almost tempted to get my motorcycle license endorsement in the US just to persuade the Taiwanese government I could go on 2 wheels just fine, or at the very least have an IDP as a loophole to being able to ride around for the first 6 months if it falls through.

Well this is a sign of things changing for the good then, it used to be that ARCs had to be valid for more than 1 year from the date you went to the licence office. This meant that virtually no-one could get a licence because most people were on 1-year contracts so by the time their ARC was renewed they usually only had 11.5 months to run.