Do you still see your life as being in Taiwan or will you immigrate to other countries?

Im thinking if taiwan still a better place to live in the future

1 Like

How long have you been here?

I didn’t and went where I thought was a better place. Came back and found this is the better place.

9 Likes

Taiwan seems a lot better if you’re single, we just had a baby and I’d prefer them to grow up in America based on what I’ve seen living here for a couple of years…

4 Likes

Taiwan is a great place to retire. Before that though…

1 Like

Better than where?

2 Likes

i’ll be moving back to the USA in the future. taiwan is great for a bit, and great for retirement, but not a great place to work and raise a family if you have better options (better options including having an in-demand skill and in countries like the usa, canada, swiss, japan, etc). if you don’t have better options then taiwan is great. also if you can make over 100k usd taiwan isn’t bad cuz then you can send your kids to TAS or something.

I will move back to my home country too, though in general living condition in Taiwan may be better than there. I want to live where I grew up and people speak my language.

5 Likes

If I can make a comparable salary as in the west, I would live in Taiwan in a heart beat.

1 Like

Still cant lol. You need rich parents for that.

Some issues are…
A) you get a well paid job its not easy to get another one
B) your kids won’t necessarily get paid well
C) you end up sending your kids to study overseas anyway as that’s what locals value more
D) asset prices are high but Little chance for appreciation
E) not much of an immigrant community in Taiwan
F) almost impossible to get a decent public sector job
G) unstable situation geopolitically

Big pluses in Taiwan are the low taxes and costs abd safety but most parents seem to up and leave ( not all though. And I personally know some European and American parents, Caucasian , who elected to stay and raise their kids here).

4 Likes

I agree with Brian Jones. That’s not enough for TAS. Maybe for a second tier international school. You really need an expat package or family money for TAS.

3 Likes

I’m heading back to Canada (in two months). I probably wouldn’t if I didn’t have kids but I want them to spend time in Canada so they have a foot in both worlds and I think it’ll open a lot more opportunities for them.

If I didn’t have kids, I’d probably stay here or live somewhere else in Asia (I can work anywhere there’s an internet connection).

I am much more optimistic than the average person when it comes to Taiwan’s future. That said, it depends on the person. I would rank US, Canada, Netherlands and Switzerland higher on my personal list and would go to any of them if I get a half-decent job opportunity. Otherwise I’ll be chilling here for a while.

3 Likes

Would you mind sharing what you didn’t like in terms of raising kids here? Thanks in advance!

1 Like

The school load is inhuman

3 Likes

I said school load, not homework.

The hours are insane, and the requirements too. Also they have to go to buxibans. And unless you have no job, are a native speaker, and have the skill to help them it (buxibans in junior and high school) is a necessity, especially in Taipei city.

2 Likes

I am pretty sure they did

This.

My child is top of her class and top 30 in a very good school in Taipei of over 1500 students, and still the hours are insane. Buxiban is limited to 2 days of the week (2 hours) only and all the other days she has classes and activities until over 8:30pm. Back home this is far from what I spent at school either in classes or other activities such as sports etc. Junior high 9th grade and they have classes every Saturday, Sunday’s too when exams are approaching. It is insane.

In Europe or USA you don’t see kids having to be at school for so many hours.

6 Likes

Tears of joy came out when I moved to the US and my teacher told us no HW…also again when finding out no summer break HW.

4 Likes

This is the last darn summer I stay here (*20). Just too old for this gravy train.

1 Like