Do you think all the newcomers will leave after Covid is under control?

I guess it can be a concern, but I find it overblown perhaps. There are food scandals but they tend to be restaurant’s own problems or about processed foods, I am not aware of a lot of scandals that concern produce itself in Taiwan.

1 Like

I had an allergic reaction to eating mandarins and bananas from on fruit stall. I was told it is the pesticide used.

I would if they could see that improvement is always worthwhile.

if that is the most foreigners, it may be because the most people in the world are so.

If you mean the most foreigners in Taiwan have different opinions/values with yours, it may be because many of foreigners similar to you leave Taiwan soon.

1 Like

Isn’t that a negative though.

preferences and priorities may be better to say what I intended to say.

Yeah that’s a big problem we always complain about, worse this year because of the pandemic.

1 Like

It’s self selecting isn’t it. Anyway as a long term resident I would say there is plenty to both like and dislike about Taiwan. And it very much depends on your personal circumstances too.

For instance the weather today is mighty fine .

As for staying hotels and such yeah it’s got more expensive , on the other hand my home country has been on lockdown for a year and accomodation is also not cheaper than here…So…

5 Likes

This is something that’s always baffled me about Taiwan. I find living here pretty cheap, but when it comes to traveling, it’s high prices for low quality across the board.

7 Likes

It could be worse for us , could be stuck in Singapore or Hong Kong all year ! I’ve had some great trips around the island and offshore islands this year.
Also we are allowed enter the country, many countries blocked foreigners, even residents from re-entering , such as Malaysia and Japan!

5 Likes

That would be living hell. I can’t take more than a week in either of those places.

4 Likes

I was told by a local that Taiwan fruits contain wax (the shops put it on to make the fruits shiny), so you have to shave off the skin of the fruit before eating. For example Apples.

1 Like

Sure. But you also have to take into consideration that you’ll be living in anally-retentive places with a shitload of laws and rules that you’d better abide by, or your ass is toast.
They even give adults canings in Singapore for being naughty. I’d rather gouge my eyes out with red-hot pokers steeped in leprosy than live there.

4 Likes

that’s everywhere in the world. but the wax is edible. It’s edible spray wax. If your apple shines - it has it applied (or is wet at the moment).

I do think that the gold card will lose attractiveness. I for sure would have just come here twice on a 3 months visa, and spend 3 month in Europe, 3 in mainland or so instead (my main motivation for coming here to learn Chinese - not escaping the coronavirus lockdowns).

2 Likes

What’s a “mainland”? Are you from Hong Kong?

2 Likes

:roll:

Like a fish to the bait. :rofl:

Nearly all fruit and vegetables in Singapore are imported so I don’t think the water quality in SIN matters much. I rather eat Taiwanese fruit and vegetables than imports from China and Malaysia.

In my opinion Taipei is not a clear choice to live compared to Tokyo, but compared to Saigon, Kuala Lumpur, Osaka, Bangkok, Seoul, Hong Kong and Singapore I would say Taipei is definitely the place I want to live.

1 Like

I did an 8 month stint in SG and lived in JP for over a year and never ran into any issues. I didn’t feel I was walking on egg shells and I was plenty naughty behind closed doors. Which is where most people are naughty?

Rules cut both ways. A lot of non enforcement of rules degrades quality of life in Taiwan IMO. The aggressive driving, red light running, park anywhere you want, terrorize the sidewalk with your scooter, etc. etc. is pretty bad. Now I’ve spent time in places where crossing the street means taking your life into your hands so I know Taiwan is not the worst place in the world to be a pedestrian but I have been surprised by this part of life in Taiwan. It’s definitely more like a developing country than developed country even in Taipei.

1 Like

Not all fruit and vegetables in Singapore come from MY and CN.

The thing about Singapore is that if you’re willing to spend $, in most categories you can usually find a bigger variety of import sources. It’s not that way in Taiwan. There are just things I can’t find here. I’ve even had the experience of seeing imported products go out of stock and not get restocked probably due to the lack of demand.

1 Like