Do you think Canada is bringing in too many immigrants, foreign workers, and international students?

images

Nice cherry pick. I think it is fair to say the Canadian population and professional associations veer center left. Look at Canada’s electoral history to confirm that. Liberals are the Natural Governing Party for better or worse, no?

The civil service and especially “excluded” grades are not necessarily left wing. In fact, Executive in Government is often center or center right and should ideally be apolitical.

Care to comment on the substance?

@TT Not sure I understand you rationale here. You’re saying with certain Commonwealth countries or the US, it is ok. But not for Rest of World as they can’t be trusted? Seems highly exclusionary to me.

1 Like

I gave an example, not enjoying this discussion with you, so I’ll pass.

Nice cherry pick btw :wink:

Edit: you can keep editing it, I’m still not getting into this one with you :smiley:

Trying to explain the nuance. I was referring to professional associations often being protectionist and Canada being described in many instances as a centre left nation—something most Canadians would agree with I think. I mean Diefenbaker, Mulroney and Harper at certain interludes but other than that? (Joe Clark for a few months lol). Libs have been in so much longer!

The Civil Service on the other hand? Depends on Excluded and Included, which I have explained. And management often takes a more pragmatic and less ideological stance.

I gave an example, not enjoying this discussion with you, so I’ll pass.

A lot of people are resistant to new and often superior ways of thinking. :joy: But it’s my noblesse oblige. I must inform the masses.

However, I do think that relying on US or Australia for our labour shortages was in Commonwealth vogue for the latter—in the 1950s. :laughing: These days, why would an Oz want to leave for Canada? Lower wages, less sun and Woke Trudeau= no bloody way!!! :rofl:

1 Like

It is similar to Australia - keep GDP growth happening. Limiting supply of housing then leads to outrageous house prices.

The clear difference is that to immigrate to Australia as a skilled migrant your qualifications are assessed first. If you need professional assessment that is done as part of the application process. Those passing assessments get can be approved. Those that fail an assessment fail skilled migration. So when professionals requiring professional accreditation move to Australia they have already met educational standards.

Australians move to Canada? I doubt very few do.

2 Likes

Exactly–it is crazy. Maybe to be a ski bum at Whistler for a semester or two but for professional occupations requiring qualifications? No way would one give up the Australian lifestyle for living in an icebox or cold rainy coastal climates.

Some views on labour shortages and the solutions mentioned on this thread are 100 years out of date. I’m pro immigration but to limit it to white first-world developed nations (e.g., Australia or US as mentioned above) is a century out of date. Australia changed this policy of ending pro-Commonweath preferences with Whitlam nearly half a century ago.

Liberalize the recognition of qualifications while maintaining public safety. A balancing act.

1 Like

Careful, nobody said that. Putting those kinds of words in people’s mouths is not acceptable

I asked for a clarification. Why the preference for US and Australia? Sounds like their standards are superior to others? I think such a policy would be exclusionary, no? If I misinterpreted, please do elaborate.

1 Like

Your point system sucks. A BA from Craphole National U is counted the same as a BA from Harvard. Do it employer-based like the US.

1 Like

And I said I didn’t want to have this discussion with you, suggestions of white supremacy don’t make me more interested. I find it highly offensive.

I suggest you just carry on without me. If you can, without suggesting people are racist.

The whole thing is a sham. It is just late stage capitalism at play. The skills shortages are theater. In an Aussie context.

I imagine it is similar in Canada.

1 Like

It’s often used in protectionist references within Ango-Saxon countries. I hear it all the time in the construction industry. We can’t trust that rebar! It was made in China, etc. Not saying you are promoting white supremacy or the like. I just think any allusion in immigration maintaining preferences for regulatory climates similar to our own isn’t living up to 21 Century ideas on inclusion and Trudeau Sr.'s vision of multiculturalism. :laughing: It is a balancing act.

I am not entirely disagreeing with you either—I don’t think we want to immediately put doctors on the operating table from other jurisdictions without testing competence. The question is how onerous do we make it? And I think it is fair to say in the past, it has been far, far, far too onerous in Canada.

2 Likes

If there were truly skills shortages, then why haven’t salaries for engineers drastically increased in a short period of time? :laughing:

With the number of applicants for every engineering job, it is clear that there is already an oversupply.

1 Like

:+1:

1 Like

Australia has high standards recognized world wide. So it is not about white supremacy and many Australians are not white in the first place. It is also not about Commonwealth countries either. After all many commonwealth counties are also not majority white populations.

1 Like

Levelling the playing field would also ensure that immigrants fulfill their potential.

Maybe there are less jobs to go around because… there aren’t enough people? More people means more service/retail/public office jobs created. The main Canadian exports have been natural resource extraction. If Canada wants to see more development, they will need to develop other industries, and that will also require more people.

Don’t tell me Canada is turning into a “they took 'er jerbs” country.

The problem is that Canada continues to rely on natural resource exports as a major part of its economy. Naturally, this means that there will not be lots of jobs in other sectors.

Canada doesn’t want other industries. They want a service sector and gave all the manufacturing away like the USA.

1 Like