Do you think Canada is bringing in too many immigrants, foreign workers, and international students?

In this era where university diplomas and underemployment have become quite common, would not bringing in lots of immigrants just create EVEN MORE competition for locals when they graduate from universities?

Did you know that the entire country of Canada has less population than the state of California?

I think Canadians would be extinct by now if they allowed any less immigrants.

1 Like

Yes, but you are making an apple to orange comparison. Canada offers less job opportunities than California. (Canada’s GDP is also smaller than California’s.) How would bringing in more immigrants, many of them whose credentials will not be recognized be beneficial to both parties?

1 Like

its a win win:
Progressive liberals can whitewash their conscious by allowing people from less developed countries become part of the Canadian dream.
Conservative capitalists have an inflow of people willing to take any job they can pay low wages to.
Everybody is happy.

3 Likes

Competition promotes growth, immigration also brings a diversity in talent, opens up contacts to different markets and economies, builds new customer bases for existing businesses not to mention bringing in a viable workforce to prop up an ageing population.

A county like Canada should understand this more than most, seeing as it’s a nation of immigrants.

" When Canada became a country in 1867 our first Prime Minister was, of course, an immigrant. Sir John Alexander Macdonald."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/archives/backgrounders-2011/facts-canada-immigration-history.html#

1 Like

based on what I heard, many immigrants there were unable to continue working in jobs they had back home since their foreign credentials were not recognized.

So you’re not Canadian? what is your stake in the argument?

I am just telling you that this is what I heard. My uncle immigrated to Canada and he would often share stories

Are you Canadian? I’ve only been a few times, but most first-gen immigrants I met seemed to be doing very well for themselves, and for the country. These were business owners, employers, and highly skilled professionals.

Whatever credentials they previously had were certainly recognized. They have a points-based immigration policy that prioritizes people with advanced degrees, good education, or in-demand skills.

That is not unique to Canada, many immigrants face the same problem. Even some of us foreigners coming to Taiwan…
A foreign doctor or nurse or lawyer coming to Taiwan can’t work in their profession in Taiwan without speaking the language and passing local exams.

So your just trying to be controversial to get a response?

I will consider my response done.

1 Like

They were lots of immigrants there working as taxi drivers and security guards

Probably good for the country if immigrants do the jobs the locals don’t want to do.

2 Likes

It is a point that many organisations will not admit people with foreign qualifications, nor set up tests or programmes by which they can then qualify. Some of it is to prevent unqualified people working; a lot of it is to protect the privileges of Canadians who already have qualifications and don’t want to face competition.

1 Like

Yeah funny that same thing happens in other countries as well. lol

This.

Doctors, nurses, engineers, dentists, lawyers, most PhDs, etc. no.

Yeah, Canada has lots of Indians in the construction industry for example. Used to be teenagets working in places like grocery stores or McDonald’s, now is more often new Canadians. In some places, where nobody can be found, temporary workers (not permanent reaidents or citizens) are brought in for Tim Hortons or farm harvesting.

If we didn’t have these people to do it cheap, prices would go up. If they don’t want to do it, they can stay where they are.

The population has grown every year, usually 1% or more. Recently they are looking at numbers like 1.5 million in 3 years, which might be too much of a good thing. Canada has been unable to build housing fast enough, and now had some of the most expensive real estate in the world. Inflation is high and wages are low, people are struggling to make ends meet. Obviously immigration isn’t the only cause of all problems, but the system isn’t dealing with it well. There are refugees living in the streets, extended families who have been there for generations are living together because they can’t afford otherwise. It’s not like we dont have the land or the lumber, successive governments have been busier giving themselves raises rather than make the necessary policy choices

Canada has some difficult years coming fast, but it is still better than Haiti or Syria. Canada produces a lot of food, it doesn’t need to be so expensive

I’m glad we bring in lots of immigrants, maybe it is time to slow down a bit until housing and food and inflation are under control.

1 Like

The problem is mutual recognition of foreign qualifications–something that can be corrected in a free trade agreement. For example, look at CETA with the EU. There is an MRA for architects.

The problem in Canada is left wing and often protectionist professional associations. When I worked in Canada, I helped to implement an internal trade agreement that removed barriers to labour mobility. It was often fought “tooth and nail” by professional associations who love new members from out of Province to take tests, pay outlandish fees, etc. For foreign qualifications, even more protectionist. It is why you often see the foreign PhD person driving a taxi.

A lot of people on the left such as the Council of Canadians and lots of well-intentioned (but misinformed folk :laughing:) criticize FTAs, but for labor, the environment and for recognition of professional qualifications, they do a lot of good.

But overall Canada needs immigrants but often makes it hard for them to compete on “even ground.” It’s often the kids of immigrants that really benefit.

1 Like

Depending on the qualification, probably better not to. But for medical doctors from places like the US, UK, Australia, since we have a shortage it makes no sense

Civil servants and teachers unions, for example. Teachers could probably let in “certified” teachers from almost anywhere else and nobody would die.

In Canada, both at the federal level and provincially, there are professional categories of “excluded” and “included.” “Included” means unionized and it is often left wing in policy positions, often represented by CUPE. Excluded adopts unionized pay raises, etc. except you don’t have to pay union dues. You also have to be above a certain level. On the down side, jobs are not as secure. Like with private health care, which is prohibited under the Canada Health Act, Canada and its provinces prohibit union activity at the higher levels with this asinine position.

I was excluded and these grades are upper management and include senior policy folk, Directors, Executive Directors, Assistant Deputy Ministers, etc. As such, I wouldn’t put civil servants as being left wing. We’re supposed to be impartial!!! The good ones are. But excluded is senior and not unionized as key positions can’t be seen as being beholden to unions that are anti-trade, support Palestine, Nicaragua etc. CUPE unions are really activist in their foreign policy.

In other countries (e.g., UK) you can be unionized at any professional level. It is only Canada that seems to have a rule of included at lower levels, excluded at higher levels.

But to classify the whole civil service as left-leaning is a actually knee-jerk reaction…it’s a much more complicated kettle of fish.

1 Like